Tracing Digital Pattern Photographs
Digitizing or tracing patterns in Cameo Pattern Design is a fairly simple process that can produce extremely accurate patterns. You will need a digital camera or smart phone with a camera to photograph your paper patterns.
Preparing to Trace a Pattern
Depending upon the complexity of the curved areas on your pattern, it may be helpful to mark complex curves on a pattern prior to tracing. Cameo Pattern Design uses arcs to create curves and each arc needs three points. By placing points along the curves on the pattern as suggested, you can more easily use the Arc (AR) command to trace the shape. To mark arcs, follow Figures 1-4.
- Place a ruler against the two farthest points of the curved shape. Mark a point at the deepest part of the curve (Figure 1).
- Place the ruler against one of the farthest points of the curve and the point just marked. Place a point at the deepest part of this curve.
- Continue placing the ruler and marking as many points as needed to accurately define the curved shape (Figures 2 and 3).
- Figure 4 shows points needed to trce the armscye shape. Two arcs can now be traced to create an extremely accurate representation of the curve.
It is not possible to take photographs of patterns to their actual size and scale and so they must be rescaled after tracing. In order to accurately rescale the traced pattern, you will need a line of known size to compare to the same object after its been traced. Calibration squares are a simple way to add objects of known size to each pattern. I cut calibration squares from colored file folders or card stock. Squares that are 2 in by 2 in and 1 in by 1 in are usually sufficient for any pattern. Cut as many as you need and place inside the perimeter of each pattern.
Taking the Digital Photograph
NOTE: DO NOT change the scale of the photographs.
Tracing the Patterns
Scaling the Patterns
- Choose Calculate and Scale from the Utilities menu.
- To scale the patterns accurately, select one side of the calibration square.
- Press the Plus sign next to the the Scale FROM box to place the length of the selected object in the box.
- Enter the original length of one side of your calibration square as the Scale TO.
- Select the pattern(s) to scale. They will turn red once selected.
- Press the Apply button.
- Your patterns should now be the exact scale they are on paper.
Finishing the Patterns
- To finish the patterns, Select All (SA) and then choose Change Object Settings from the Utilities menu.
- Set the desired line color and change the line width to 1 and press Apply.
- Use the Text (TE) tool to add any desired text.
- Save the patterns.