Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swim Suit Repair and Modification
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

LorIKC
Posted 2011-04-20 5:06 PM (#74806)
Subject: Swim Suit Repair and Modification

Regular

A friend asked if I could repair and modify her 80+ yo mother's swim suit to make it easier for an elderly woman with arthritis in her shoulders to get into. Trying to remove the tummy control panel, she managed to cut the outer fabric so there is a big gash up the side of the front. The front seam of the suit is shirred with elastic and it has a shelf bra with inset molded cups. My friend has suggested adding a zipper but I'm not sure that will provide enough give to let her mother put the suit on by herself. If I follow the gash, the zipper would be placed close to the seam on the left side and end in the armscye. Any thoughts on how to make this easier for my friend's mom to get into while repairing the gash?

Thanks,
Lori
Top of the page Bottom of the page
allymelba
Posted 2011-04-20 9:23 PM (#74812 - in reply to #74806)
Subject: RE: Swim Suit Repair and Modification

A zip might still work if you attatch something to the pull to make it easier to handle. A matching scrap of material made into a tube, or suitable ribbon, long enough for her to crasp, and knotted through the hole in the pull perhaps? It is reinforcing the edges of the rip and zipper that has me out of my depth. (sorry for the pun) In water the material stretchs and has less stability . But it sounds like an 'oops' lets try again situation.
Alison
LorIKC
Posted 2011-04-20 10:56 PM (#74813 - in reply to #74806)

Regular

The cut is pretty jagged so I think I might need to add a placket of another color to clean things up a bit. I'm pretty sure I can stabilize things enough to get a zipper in OK. Maybe putting one on both sides could do the trick. The idea of adding something to the zipper pull is a good one. I will incorporate that. Thanks.
LorIKC
Posted 2011-04-20 10:57 PM (#74814 - in reply to #74812)

Regular

Thanks for the pun. My DH will love it!
Grandma C
Posted 2011-04-20 11:12 PM (#74815 - in reply to #74806)

Elite Veteran

How about repairing the gash with an applique or diffferent colored panel or just a well concealed patch and put the zipper center front/ I think a zipper pull in the armscye area of a swim suit will be a source of irritation to the arm. The first swimsuit( I was very young then) that I remember my mother wearing was a blue sort of waven fabric with a zipper up the center back.
LorIKC
Posted 2011-04-21 12:40 PM (#74825 - in reply to #74815)

Regular

A zip up the center front is definitely the logical solution but not really an option since the center front is seamed and shirred with elastic. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the suit because the solution wasn't as easy as I originally thought it would be.

Lori
Grandma C
Posted 2011-04-21 1:02 PM (#74826 - in reply to #74806)

Elite Veteran

Might be easier to make her a new suit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.