Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dance Costume Design Help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Design Challenges - PublicMessage format

wheelyfeet
Posted 2011-04-09 6:08 PM (#74443)
Subject: Dance Costume Design Help

Regular

Hello all,

I am making a friend and her dance "troupe" costume patterns for their upcoming tap dance recital. She wants the knee length skirt to be swirly, so I had originally thought of doing a gored flared skirt. That takes the skirt to about a 3/4 circle. She wants it to be a full circle so it really swirls, so I thought I'd add godets.

What is the best way to use godets? Most dresses or skirts I see them in have the godets set into straight gores, not flared. I imagine there is a reason for this?

One last question about sleeves. The dresses will be stretchy; should I use a flatter sleeve cap for movement or add gussets?

Thanks!

Debra
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Judy B
Posted 2011-04-11 9:12 AM (#74546 - in reply to #74443)
Subject: RE: Dance Costume Design Help

Elite Veteran

I make dance costumes all the time. I use the circle skirt all the time well actually I use the 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 skirt. The full circle just uses a lot of fabric and I have found the 3/4 is full enough. You are limited by the width of you fabric. Usually lycra is 60" or so but the full circle needs a lot. You can always put seams but I like just having a back seam although sometimes I will put the seams on the sides. If you are using the circle skirt are you going to need the godets? Also the skirts will be heavy using lycra. I do not use the gore skirt as much just because I like how the circle skirt falls on the hips. I have made a gore skirt before. I do not know why the godets are in seams. I never follow the "rules" It could be because it is easier to put the godets in a seam. I have done it both ways.
For sleeve cap I have used a flatter sleeve cap and it makes the underarm seam like a gusset. I have also used the sleeve in curves did not do anything to it. I have never added a gusset in stretch fabric. I have added one for non stretch fabric.
Judy
cfonfold
Posted 2011-04-11 9:22 AM (#74550 - in reply to #74443)

Expert

I believe that Rowena has an article on "cut-on" gussets in the wiki. There are instructions in my album as well. They are in the odds and ends section. If you need help let me know.

Coopie 

rowena___.
Posted 2011-04-14 10:36 AM (#74618 - in reply to #74443)

i like gussets and i use them in my own clothing when needed.  i like the cut-on gusset for costumes but at home i almost always have just enough fabric and no extra, so i usually cut my gussets from scrap.  sometimes as a football, sometimes i sew them on as wings.  it just depends on how much scrap i have and what shapes the scraps are and my mood and whether the sun has set early or late.  

Judy B
Posted 2011-04-14 11:39 AM (#74622 - in reply to #74443)

Elite Veteran

One thing to consider is how many are you making? If they are paying for them and are you charging a flat fee you should think about the number of hours it will take to construct them. You want to do it the fastest but the they need to also look good.
Judy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.