Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pants for Mother with advanced dementia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> FREE iCare - PublicMessage format

patmiller3
Posted 2011-03-28 8:38 AM (#74012)
Subject: pants for Mother with advanced dementia

Veteran

My Mother is in the advanced stages of dementia. It has become more difficult to take care of her hygiene - sometimes requiring 3 of us. She has a "fixation" with her shoes; we even let them stay on when she sleeps as she gets so upset when we start to remove them. It sometimes takes 2 of us to hold her up while the third person takes care of her. She doesn't understand and so she doesn't "help" and she's so very weak and sometimes she's fighting us. We're trying to figure out how to care for her needs without her trying to stand long enough since she's so weak.
My sister has purchased some of the depends that fasten like diapers rather than having to be pulled up like panties. And I'm considering making her some PJ pants that close with velcro dots down each side. I wondered if any of you have done this? Are there problems with this idea that I'm not seeing?
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2011-03-28 8:47 AM (#74013 - in reply to #74012)
Subject: RE: pants for Mother with advanced dementia

Tech Support

Pat - how lucky your mom is to have someone to make her daily life easier.

In ICare I would look at the wrap pants.  If she is in bed or a chair most of the day I think the wrap pants would work.  If they wrapped with the top layer going to the back you could fasten them just at the waist and maybe down 10 inches and they would be fine and easy for her care.

Take care of yourself too.

Hugs

Grandma C
Posted 2011-03-28 12:37 PM (#74018 - in reply to #74012)

Elite Veteran

I had an acquaintance years ago that took a flannel nightie and cut it up the center, front and back, to the height of her mom's crotch (a little lower for ease) and then sewed gripper snaps to the cut edges and snapped them together to make pants. This kept mom from taking off her depends at night and making a mess. I don't know if that is an option in this instance but you might just try one. Your Mom may be a bit more advanced than my friends mom was.
Pat I wish you the best with your Mom's care. It is a difficult situation, I have been there. My mother-in-law thaought I was "the other woman" that had moved in with he husband who was actually heer son, my husband. Love does enable us to do more than we ever thought possible to care for our loved ones. Remember to look at situations with humor and to take as many breaks as can be had. Accept offers of help from people. Sorry, guess i'm preaching. May God bless you with help, humor, good health, and creativity.
patmiller3
Posted 2011-03-28 5:53 PM (#74027 - in reply to #74012)

Veteran

Karen and Grandma C,
Thank you for your responses.
I've printed a pattern and cut out a pair of wrap pants which I'll finish after supper. I hope they'll work - they're super easy to make!

Mother has some flannel gowns she hasn't worn in quite some time. So I'll try that suggestion as well.

My brother and sister have done most of Mother's care since I don't live in the same city right now. Also, my best friend and her daughter help. And I go there for a week at a time when I can. I'm so thankful that with all of us caring for her, Mother has not had to be put in a nursing home. God has really blessed us.

Pat
dotmoll
Posted 2011-03-28 5:59 PM (#74028 - in reply to #74012)

Elite Veteran

Here's something else you might consider: a type of loincloth or "fundoshi" used in Japanese hospitals. We call it a T-shape or Etchu fundoshi, as it is basically a long, skinny "apron" of soft, strong cotton, with waist ties.

The cloth is spread on the bed, the patient rolls or lies back on it, the ties are brought forward and tied round the waist, and then the "apron" is pulled forward between the legs.

The end is pulled up under the waist ties, and allowed to fall down over the ties (so you have a double layer of cloth in front).

You could create a fastening for the front, though the simplicity is the best point of this type of underwear. It is still used in hospitals here because it is so easy to put on and take off, and if you pull the front end back down under the waist ties, you can easily clean up or change a continence pad without having to lift the patient's hips and bottom.

The first photo in this link shows a different type of loincloth - scroll down to see the cloth and ties, and tying instructions right down the bottom.
http://pingmag.jp/2008/06/13/fundoshi/

Edited by dotmoll 2011-03-28 6:08 PM
Grandma C
Posted 2011-03-29 1:09 AM (#74037 - in reply to #74012)

Elite Veteran

Dotmol, it is so good to see your post. Are you OK Do we you need anything. would things get to you if we mailed tham? You can come live with me till Japan is all cleaned up. I am so concerned about you and others in Japan.
Belinda
rowena___.
Posted 2011-03-29 4:14 PM (#74052 - in reply to #74018)

Grandma C - 2011-03-28 10:37 AMI had an acquaintance years ago that took a flannel nightie and cut it up the center, front and back, to the height of her mom's crotch (a little lower for ease) and then sewed gripper snaps to the cut edges and snapped them together to make pants. This kept mom from taking off her depends at night and making a mess.

pat  {{{HUGS}}}  what a blessing you are to her.

what grandma C described is how i made ella's first garments.  they worked very well for changing diapers, but she was easier to wrestle than a full-grown adult.  however, the sound of opening the snaps ALWAYS work her up, so that might be a factor to consider.

you are in my thoughts and my heart.  

patmiller3
Posted 2011-03-29 5:51 PM (#74057 - in reply to #74012)

Veteran

Thank you Rowena.

I made the wrap pants and I think they'll work! And they're so quick and easy to make.

Thank you all for all the kind wishes and thoughts.
Pat
LizCat
Posted 2011-12-26 2:04 PM (#79332 - in reply to #74012)

I am so glad to have seen this thread. My mother is diagnosed with vascular dementia and we recently had to move her to assisted living, although she is needing "assistance" more quickly than we thought she would. I'm sure at some time pants like this will be useful and it is good to have ideas in advance.

Thank you for the ideas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.