Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Uneven shoulders, unbalanced posture - don't give up!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

dotmoll
Posted 2011-02-27 7:29 PM (#72884)
Subject: Uneven shoulders, unbalanced posture - don't give up!

Elite Veteran

I recall (but can't find) a photo showing quite uneven shoulders and posture remaining after a traffic accident, and I know others have uneven shoulders too. My "bad" shoulder is still a bit lower and less muscled than my "good" shoulder after a fall last year, but...

...thanks to physio/occupational therapy, it's getting more balanced all the time. I remember looking at my shoulders in the mirror two months ago, and feeling very disheartened - they were still so uneven, and my clothes kept slipping off the lower shoulder. Another two months has made such a difference, even though I haven't got full mobility back yet. I think that if I hadn't been lucky enough to live near an orthopedic hospital, my physio would have stopped around then, when I could do most day to day tasks, but not all. I had a bad back injury in my teens, and that taught me how important therapy is, and what a difference there is between barely healed and fully functional.

Please, if you have an old injury or problem that you have half given up on, have another go! If you have a sports clinic nearby (with a music-loving son who plays basketball, I've learned where to get good care for hand injuries, and find that sports clinics are often the most accessible), see if you can get some therapy. Apart from the treatment, the guidance I've had has been invaluable. Without it, I would have pushed ahead with painful but not useful exercises. With it, I've seen good longterm results despite setbacks and lingering minor problems (hard to feel threads and pins in my right hand, for a start). The "small muscle" training has made a big difference, and I would never have known what to do by myself.

You can do it too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
barbara
Posted 2011-02-27 8:00 PM (#72888 - in reply to #72884)
Subject: RE: Uneven shoulders, unbalanced posture - don't give up!

I agree with the right therapy lots of things can be accomplished. I had some pain from my surgery that just was just a nagging pain, I could live with it I guess, but I decided to visit the dr. Not the surgeon because all they do is surgery, that is their craft.

My nurse sugested a pain dr. ( I thought all dr's were a pain") I went back to therapy and reviewed all my exercises and added some new ones. What a difference that made. i had been doing the exercises from 3 months after surgery, and they were good, but I needed some guidence to make sure I did them right and a few different ones to target my area of pain. everyone is different and I think a recheck every 6 months would be a good thing. After surgery your body heals and needs a different appoach as time goes on. It only makes sense to me.
Grandma C
Posted 2011-02-27 8:50 PM (#72892 - in reply to #72884)
Subject: RE: Uneven shoulders, unbalanced posture - don't give up!

Elite Veteran

It took me a good year to get full mobility in my left shoulder after having the end of my collar bone shortened and the shoulder joint cleaned up (scrapped out) from arthritis scarring. I agree that the right therepy is gave me a good start toward healing but getting back to work and doing the routine everyday things at home and work helped most. Of course my job requires lifting, reaching high, reaching forward, tugging heavy and light weights, pushing and other motions that more than most people do not do on a daily basis. I suppose it is good that I can't afford to retire yet. It keeps me exercised.

My physician feels that the everyday activities is the best therepy.

Edited by Grandma C 2011-02-27 9:00 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.