Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much mass volume can a home sewing machine/serger handle?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

purplebouquet
Posted 2011-01-30 10:43 AM (#72211)
Subject: How much mass volume can a home sewing machine/serger handle?

Extreme Veteran

Hello, all,

I know quite a few of you sew costumes on a regular, commercial basis, so I hope you can offer some constructive advice to this question: How much mass volume can sewing machines and sergers designed for home use handle without problems?

I posted this question on patternreview.com also. This is the situation:

I've been asked to help sew costumes for a local ballet academy. We're talking dozens of outfits per year, many sewn from scratch, some modified by adding ruffles, sleeves, etc. Among other reasons, I am concerned to subject my home machines to so much use. I have a 20+ year-old mechanical Pfaff and a BL Evolve and CS, both about 6 years old and in excellent shape still. All my machines handle my needs for personal use very well, but I wonder how much mass volume they can handle. Any rules of thumb about how many hours they can be used each day?

Those of you who do sew costumes on a regular basis, do you use industrial machines? Which ones?

Thanks for any advice.

Claudia
Top of the page Bottom of the page
magenta
Posted 2011-01-30 4:27 PM (#72218 - in reply to #72211)
Subject: RE: How much mass volume can a home sewing machine/serger handle?

Extreme Veteran

Hi.
According to Sandra Betzina, the life expectancy of a good quality sewing machine is 23,000 hours of sewing. If you sewed 20 hours a week and 52 weeks a year, you would only use up 1040 hours in a year. Just use these figures and translate them to however much sewing you think you will be doing. HTH.

Sarah
julie w
Posted 2011-01-30 4:58 PM (#72219 - in reply to #72211)
Subject: RE: How much mass volume can a home sewing machine/serger handle?

Extreme Veteran

I am not a professional costume maker or dressmaker but I do help out with my DD dance school to help alter or make new costumes every year. This could range from 20 to 50 items. I have a small Bernina 145 that is about 7 years old and an Bernina OL that is about 10 years old and being the bad owner that I am had them serviced this year for the first time. The only problems I had was to have the feed dogs adjusted on my SM and a new upper blade on the OL.
HTH Julie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.