Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OT - Sewing room mishaps - don't read if you're squeamish
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Joyce F
Posted 2010-12-29 9:02 AM (#71698)
Subject: OT - Sewing room mishaps - don't read if you're squeamish

Veteran

While the WG staff is on holiday schedule and no serious sewing going on here, how about sharing your worst sewing room mishaps.....
I have two : the first time I opened my brand new rotary cutter, and laid my hand on the fabric to try out this new gadget with great enthusiasm for that fabulously neat cutting line. I plowed it right into my left index finger.
This morning.....Was using a rather sturdy hand sewing needle and had it in my mouth momentarily pointed side in. When I reached for it I pushed it right into my tongue. hmmm, what antibiotic?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ChristineBrown
Posted 2010-12-29 9:47 AM (#71699 - in reply to #71698)
Subject: RE: OT - Sewing room mishaps - don't read if you're squeamish

I have put a machine sewing needle as well as a hand sewing needle right through my index finger. I guess I was trying to quilt it to the back of the quilt!
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2010-12-29 10:27 AM (#71701 - in reply to #71698)

Ouch, Joyce! Your poor tongue.

When I was a senior in high school and wearing uniforms every day, I decided (at the last minute, of course!) to make a winter white wool flannel princess-lined dress to wear to a special off-campus event. We were going to Miami University for a business competition with other area schools, and we were allowed to wear street clothes, for once.

The flannel had to be underlined, and I chose to make covered buttons and button loops all up the front closure, so naturally I was still sewing at 1 AM. I must have dozed off, mid-seam, and got my finger in the way of the needle. Gaack, I can still feel that "clunk".

I woke my Mother to tell her I'd sewed my finger, thinking, erroneously, that I'd get sympathy. Ha! She said, "Well, dummy, that's what you get for sewing in the middle of the night. Go to bed."

I finished the dress and wore it the next day--there was no blood on the white wool. And I came in first in the State of Ohio for business vocabulary.
Grandma C
Posted 2010-12-30 1:53 AM (#71709 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

Many years ago I was making a white T-shirt hoodie to wear with my scrub pants the next morning. I was trying to hurry and soon found my sewing machine needle broken hanging off a thread that was through a hole in my finger. I panicked and ran to my next door neighbor and had them get the thread out..( I really just wanted sympathy.) I did manage to finish the top I was making and wore it to work the next day.
pamelac858
Posted 2011-01-03 6:25 AM (#71795 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

I hope I am not jinxing myself, but I have never sewn my finger. I've broken artificial nails with a needle, I've had a needle break and fly up near my eye, and of course I've poked myself and stepped on pins and needles, but have never sewn my finger.

Am I missing something? LOL

Pam
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2011-01-03 8:13 AM (#71798 - in reply to #71795)

Only the horror and the adrenalin rush, Pamela!
pamelac858
Posted 2011-01-03 1:52 PM (#71805 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

LOL Karen. I think most painful self-inflicted sewing injury I've had was running a pin UNDER my fingernail like in torture stories. I put pins in my mouth sometimes, too, and that act presses a button in my brain with my mother's voice, telling me I'll swallow them. LOL

Pam
magenta
Posted 2011-01-03 5:17 PM (#71807 - in reply to #71805)

Extreme Veteran

Pam, I haven't had any serious mishaps either! Just sticking pins in finger when trying to pin heavy fabrics. I used to keep fine pins in a cardboard box with no label. I forgot what was in it and picked up the box by the lid and got pins all over the floor. I was picking pins out of the carpet for weeks after that, so have made it a personal rule not to be in my sewing room with bare feet - a rule which my husband and son break constantly, but they're big and ugly enough to accept the risk involved!

Sarah
Beverly A.
Posted 2011-01-03 8:04 PM (#71814 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

You better NOT read this one if you are squeamish!
One fine morning before time to go to work, I had laid the thread nippers on the table where I was working. Now these were the nippers with thin blades and plastic handles. Somehow I brushed the nippers, knocking them off the table. As I grabbed for them (BIG mistake) they landed points up on my leg. My arm went down right onto the points which I imbedded in the fleshly part of my forearm. I had to pull them out of my arm as they had imbedded themselves quite firmly. This is where I learned: Don't-grab-for-it-if-it-won't-break-when-it-hits-the-floor.
Next accident: When I was doing my Collection Class for Fashion Design. I had planned to get a lot done that day. I needed to. So I started out early cutting out something. Figures that the first thing I did was cut a slice off the tip of my middle finger with my rotary cutter. That thing bled, bled, bled. Sure slowed me down.
Almost accident: In school I accidentally knocked my rotary cutter (open) off the table and it just missed the foot of a fellow student who was wearing open shoes. I still shudder to think what could have happened to her foot. I don't do things half-way.
Beverly A.
cfonfold
Posted 2011-01-03 8:36 PM (#71818 - in reply to #71698)

Expert

Working late one night with a group of students, I ran the needle of an industrial machine though my left index fingernail. Industrials stop when you lift your foot and dis-engage the motor.

I did not want to make a fuss and alarum the shop, but I was effectively stitched to the machine! Thread and all. I unscrewed the needle and cut the thread to release my finger and walked in to my boss's office and showed him what had happened. He asked if he should take me to the imfirmery. I said please no. So he took his pliers and simply backed the needle out . I went back to work with a bandaid.

Coopie

Now days of course I would have to file what is called a "prick and sharp" report and report it as a shop accident. And you have no idea how much paper work that entails!

C

Edited by cfonfold 2011-01-03 8:38 PM
TessainGabriola
Posted 2011-01-04 12:17 AM (#71827 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

I was so proud that my daughter wanted to sew something that I let her sew whatever it was and she sewed her finger. I was horrified that she had done my worst nightmare, but I had to be cool and calm, all the while screaming inside that my  machine had sewn my poor little girl... 
Tessa
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2011-01-04 10:14 AM (#71843 - in reply to #71827)

Oh, Tessa, that would be so much worse than sewing one's own finger!
Barbie
Posted 2011-01-04 1:27 PM (#71847 - in reply to #71814)

Veteran

We have a rule here at the shop. If you lay the cutter down without closing it, you pay a quarter in the kitty. That goes to who ever makes this mistake. Customers taking a class, my help, or me!

Beverly A.
Posted 2011-01-04 6:59 PM (#71852 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

Yes Barbie: I normally would do that but I may just have dropped it or fumbled it. I have learned to be sure to close it when I lay it down even for a second. Them things is sharp!!!
Beverly A.
jadney
Posted 2011-01-05 11:20 AM (#71870 - in reply to #71698)

Veteran

Years ago I was sewing for my daughter. I was barefooted which is normal for me and I didn't notice that the seam ripper had fallen on the floor. I stepped on the seam ripper and it drove into my foot. Not thinking of anything else execept it hurt, I put my foot down and the handle broke off of the seam ripper shaft. I was bleeding like crazy and was alone with my daugher. It was a rent house and I didn't want to get blood on the carpet so I went out side and set on the steps and had my daugher, who was about 7 at the time, go to a neighbor to see if they would take me to the emergency room. It was hot outside and I was bleeding, so I started passing out. Scared me, my daugher and my neighbor. When I got to the emergency room, I found out that the piece that was still in my foot was nearly to the bone and I had to have it removed while I was knocked out.
It was an experience I will never forget.
pamelac858
Posted 2011-01-07 5:29 AM (#71895 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

I hope I'm not jinxing my own sewing room safety by saying this, but WOW, y'all have had some nasty sewing accidents! I used to write safety training manuals for general industry and the Coast Guard and am now in the business in another aspect with DH, so safety and what-could-be's are always on my mind. Still, an accident is an accident, they call them that for a reason.

My prevailing thought while reading all your posts is that I have had far more accidents - cuts, pokes, etc. - in the kitchen than I have in the sewing room, SO does that mean I should stop cooking and sew more? I sure like that thought! Now where did I put those take-out and delivery menus....?

Pam
magenta
Posted 2011-01-07 5:14 PM (#71925 - in reply to #71698)

Extreme Veteran

I got back into having a bit of a session sewing last night and I was extre cautious after reading this thread. Stopped at 10 when I started feeling tired!

Sarah
Judy B
Posted 2011-01-12 10:45 AM (#71979 - in reply to #71698)

Elite Veteran

When my son was in college he got a dog. I had to keep the dog for a semester until he could move into an apt. I was changing the needle of my serger and the dog stepped on the presser foot. My finger was numb for a few hours. The needle did not go through but the part where you put the needle came down hitting my finger. It felt like someone took a hammer and hammered my finger.
A few weeks ago I dropped my thread cutter. I wen to grab it and somehow it jammed into the palm of my hand. I had a hole in the palm of my hand. The hardest part was I was in the middle of cardiac rehab and had to do exercises without using the palm of my hand for a few days.
Judy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.