Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need zipper advice!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

schoolnsuch
Posted 2010-12-03 5:48 PM (#71002)
Subject: Need zipper advice!

Regular

I am working on sewing Christmas dresses for both my girls and have run into a problem. The dresses are made with olive green, thin, silk fabric.  For a zipper I have regular style, green zippers that I think match the fabric (but I need to get it in better light to double check the color) and I have black invisible zippers.   What should I do?  I think invisible zippers look so much nicer but in this case the tiny little black zipper pull might show.  The dress is an olive green and will have a gold belt that ties in the back (covering most of the zipper).  Both my girls have long hair so I don't think any of it will be seen. BUT I will know what it looks like.  Any advice  The dresses have a V shaped back and a gathered skirt because of that I will only need a tiny zipper (3-4 inches long).  With such a small zipper I don't know that it would be worth it to take almost an hour drive to another store to try and find an invisible zippers in this shade of green.  BUT on the other hand this is silk Christmas dresses I am making for holiday pictures... Then again you never see the back of a dress in a holiday picture.  See, I just don't know what to do so I really need advice! If you think it will make a big difference I will take the drive to find and find the right colored invisible one tomorrow... I just don't know what's the right thing to do. Does picking out the right zipper drive anyone else crazy?  I should have started Christmas dresses back in Oct.   I really regret waiting so long to start them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anniewear
Posted 2010-12-03 5:54 PM (#71003 - in reply to #71002)
Subject: RE: Need zipper advice!

Use the black invisible zippers. Paint the zipper pull gold with nail polish.
Easy and durable.

Ann
rowena___.
Posted 2010-12-03 5:55 PM (#71004 - in reply to #71002)

cut off the zipper pull and make a new pull using scraps of the fabric.

schoolnsuch
Posted 2010-12-03 6:00 PM (#71006 - in reply to #71002)

Regular

Wow! You girls are fast!  THANKS!!!  I never thought to change the pull!!! I might even have something in my jewelry making box that I can put on for a zipper pull that might even make the dress look nicer.  I LOVE this group!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!  I am off to see if I can finish one of the dresses tonight. THANKS! (I'm doing a happy dance)
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2010-12-04 11:33 AM (#71031 - in reply to #71002)

Extreme Veteran

I may be too late, but for NEXT time...if you have a hobby shop nearby, buy a little bottle of model airplane enamel to match the color you need and paint the pull. The rest of the zipper won't show anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.