Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bemberg rayon
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

jak10
Posted 2010-11-21 12:32 PM (#70625 - in reply to #70613)
Subject: RE: Bemberg rayon

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for posting this Karen. It looks like a wonderful resource, especially for jacket zippers. JoAnn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fiberflinger
Posted 2010-11-21 12:32 PM (#70626 - in reply to #70204)

Wool: IMHO, I raise sheep and have their wool sent off to have made into yarn. I used to spin it myself but just don't have time to do everything I want to do anymore. After 30 years of working with wool I can tell you this:

There is no need to dry clean new wool "cloth", it is already clean. however you might want to have it steamed to make it "bloom" ( a term meaning the wool goes back to a natural state of fluffliness without shrinking) however, It does appear to move. Yarn, straight from a mill needs washing as it contains machine oils. Washing in a machine will shrink it, but there are some wools that will continue to shrink after more than 3 washings so I don't think this may be a preferred method. Dry cleaning is best for cleaning, steaming is best for fulling. Wool does not need cleaning like synthetics, linen, or most of the vegetable type items. It is made of scales and the dirt or sweat gets trapped under these scales and not seen or heard from again until the scales are so saturated they can no longer sop up the crud. Then they need cleaning. During the cleaning process the scales open like a pine cone and drop out the waste. A hot soapy soak will cause this to happen. Agitation is not necessary to clean wool, that only makes it shrink, (along with a change in water temperature). Some of the finer grades of wool only need agitation in most any temperature water to felt. The soap used does not need to be harsh. Soap does not clean better, it makes the water wetter and allows the dirt to drop off. It does not need to be the expensive woolite. In all my years of washing wool, I like Dawn dish soap the best as it strips off the natural lanolin left on my yarns from the sheep.
Hope that helped.
Bunny
thistles
Posted 2010-11-22 10:03 AM (#70652 - in reply to #70626)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks so much, Bunny!  That's a lot of helpful info--I don't know anything about wool except that it makes me itch!  (Hence, the Bemberg lining).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.