Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

serging/ Decorative edge on gypsie scarf
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Grandma C
Posted 2010-10-26 2:44 PM (#69257)
Subject: serging/ Decorative edge on gypsie scarf

Elite Veteran

I am trying to serg a 2 thread decorative on a triangle scarf. obviously one edge is on the bias and that is where the problem is. The fabric is light weight polyester lining. The edge stretches out and I have adjusted the differential feed to the positive and negative #'s and no improvment. I have tried folding the edge over 1/4 inch and that takescare of pokies but it still waves. I am also having difficulty with the corners. Any advice??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Susan in Miami
Posted 2010-10-26 3:51 PM (#69263 - in reply to #69257)
Subject: RE: serging/ Decorative edge on gypsie scarf

Expert

Try using clear elastic over the edge and serge right over it. The clear elastic will stabilize your fabric and can be trimmed close to the stitching without any harm.

HTH, Susan

anniewear
Posted 2010-10-26 5:11 PM (#69267 - in reply to #69257)

Another thing to try is water soluable stabilizer, especially the paper variety. After the serging is finished the stablizer will wash
out.

Ann in windy Michigan
phnip
Posted 2010-10-26 6:10 PM (#69272 - in reply to #69267)

Veteran

One of my most often used stablisers is the water soluble version. I have some very precious silk scarves I have acquired on my travels which eventually fray at the edges and its the water soluble stabaliser which I use to put on a new rolled hem - the scarves are getting smaller over the years but I feel quite virtuous making them ok again. I should say that they are precious not because they were expensive but simply that they remind me of certain places.

They say everything goes in cycles and it seems to me that my mother's war-time mantra of "make do and mend" has its time again.

Vivienne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.