Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post Partum Question?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Sewing for Weight LossMessage format

ReneeG1957
Posted 2010-10-15 5:03 PM (#68253)
Subject: Post Partum Question?

Regular

I may be jumping the gun slightly, as DD hasn't started labor (as of 2 pm - but............)

Any tips on sewing for the post-baby body, as I will be heading out there as soon as I get the call that she is in labor (or that she's on bed rest)?

It's been about 17 years since I was post partum (DS turns 17 next month) and I have no idea how current styles are going to adjust for changing shapes.

I did fall in love with a couple of the Wild Styles on PMB5 last night on the demo - but I haven't bought it yet (no wifi in doctor's office).

She's 5' 7" and very busty (40G), will be bfing (nursing) so access would be something I need to plan for..............and I have no idea what nursing is going to do to her bust line. I do know that she will want things loose under the bust for a while............

Top of the page Bottom of the page
rowena___.
Posted 2010-10-15 5:44 PM (#68255 - in reply to #68253)
Subject: RE: Post Partum Question?

renee, i have a bunch of pictures of nursing clothes that i made for myself, i will do my best to remember to post them for you.  i also have instructions for a few different types of nursing tops on my blog, i'll get the links for you.

unless she has ever been pregnant before it will be really hard to know how to sew for her in advance, as you don't know what her body normally does.  breastfeeding makes a HUGE difference-- between delivery and breastfeeding i lost almost 25 pounds the first month PP.  i also did not engorge nearly as much as other mothers told me to expect, because i was breastfeeding exclusively round the clock including night feedings.

unless you have some pressing reason to begin sewing soon, i'd wait until she has had a few weeks to see how things go.  there are lots of cute, inexpensive nursing clothes available from motherhood maternity that she could use until you get a chance to sew for her.  the only exception i'd make is for converting t-shirts to nursing shirts, which is a very quick project, or converting some of her bras to nursing access.

also, bear in mind that if she wants to nurse in public--and i strongly encourage her if she is willing to give it a try--that there are MANY designs that allow for discreet nursing without having to resort to covering the baby with a blanket (which is not only a little claustrophobic for the baby but also is like putting a gigantic sign on your head that says "BREASTFEEDING" ).  i nursed everywhere--in productions meetings, fittings, thrift stores, etc--without covering myself and i guarantee almost nobody knew.  i even nursed thru meetings with the dean and it wasn't until ella was almost 6 months old and bit me due to teething that he realized what i was doing!

for the lower half, she will probably want to wear her regular maternity for a few weeks.  unless she has a tummy tuck while she's at the hospital, she will leave still looking about 5 months pregnant.  if she has a section she will probably want nothing close fitting to press on her scar for at least a month.

some things you can work on now, if she is so inclined to use them, are cloth diapers, cloth wipes, and cloth post partum pads.  she might also want some breast pads in case she leaks.

ReneeG1957
Posted 2010-10-15 6:28 PM (#68256 - in reply to #68253)

Regular

I used regular clothes that buttoned down the front to nurse her (loose fitting & a chest carrier that helped obscure what was going on) - it was April & May in Phoenix, Arizona (the American Southwest is a desert - HOT & DRY is a capsule description) so the blanket over one shoulder didn't appeal to me.

With her younger brother, I used Elizabeth Lee Designs nursing patterns - but they seem to have been designed for up to a D cup. I had issues with some of the outfits not working for ME after I finished them (fortunately there were members of my La Leche League group who didn't mind being offered "second hand" clothes that were designed for nursing mothers). She is already past a D cup - so my memory of how to make the "access" is the only thing that will come in handy.

My son was born in the late fall, so a blanket over one shoulder was considered useful since it kept him out of drafts. By the time he was old enough that I was leaving the house, I'd worked out a combination of wearing two tops or found the patterns that did work from the Elizabeth Lee line.

I'm thinking that a couple of the maternity tops in the Wild Designs might be good starting places - just add a loose under lining with a cut out...........?
purplebouquet
Posted 2010-10-21 3:36 PM (#68893 - in reply to #68253)

Extreme Veteran

I nursed both my children for almost 1 year each, and although I had a few bona fide nursing tops, I didn't really have that much use for them. Loose tee-shirts were often easier and faster to pull up that fiddeling with the openings of the nursing tops.

What bothered me a great deal more was what to wear below my waist. My regular clothes didn't fit me for several weeks, and there was no way I was going to put on maternity clothes again. Most were business clothes that required dry cleaning anyway. Not practical to wear with a baby. Then I had some denim jumpsuits, with the bip, but they took too much time to take off. (Very, I mean VERY, sudden urges to go to the bathroom--a lot of readers will remember and commiserate, I am sure.)

I ended up wearing my husband's jeans for a long time, which was a drag. It was the only thing that fit until I made myself a couple of sheath-cut jumper dresses that unbuttoned in the front for nursing. No waistline, which was a godsend. I'd encourage you to think "bottoms," maybe yoga-type pants that have a low waistband of cotton ribbing or an elastic that can be adjusted. Or skirts with the same design. Straight jumpers or tee-shirt dresses.

Happy Baby Time.

Claudia
ReneeG1957
Posted 2010-10-21 5:08 PM (#68894 - in reply to #68253)

Regular

Okay - the baby is here (C-section) so the maternity clothes situation is a moot point.

She's home (as of Wednesday) and the baby has decided that he does like milk (took him a while due to being a month early, I guess). She's pumping to build up her supply, as he seems to be a bit lack-a-daisical in his application to getting his tummy full in a hurry. At least he's latching on.

So - what puts NO PRESSURE on an incision for bottoms? It looks like we will be buying a few things (checking local thrift stores first - as I don't have space for my sewing machine this time and I come back in three weeks to spend time with DH & DS before heading back to DD's for another three weeks - I'm going to be the Traveling Grandma).

Olwynmary
Posted 2010-10-21 5:34 PM (#68897 - in reply to #68253)

When my dd was expecting she went to the fat lady dept of places like k-mart and bought loose, large elastic waist pants to wear during the final semester and post partum. They worked fine, and went straight to the Goodwill as soon as she could wear her own jeans again.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
rowena___.
Posted 2010-10-21 8:24 PM (#68908 - in reply to #68894)

congratulations, renee!  i'm glad they are home and doing well.  i hope your DD's recuperation will be easy.  a good latch is the best news because he'll become more alert soon and he'll be nursing like a champ.

what my friends who've had c-sections told me is that the most comfortable things were maternity dresses and panties.  anything with a waistline was a bother for some of them and downright painful for others.  if she prefers pants i would recommend she find ones that have the waistband wherever her incision is not--some incisions are high, some are very low--if the incision is vertical, i just think she might want to avoid waisted garments completely.

purplebouquet
Posted 2010-10-23 3:07 PM (#69063 - in reply to #68253)

Extreme Veteran

I often thought that designing a line of postpartum clothes would be a good business opportunity.

Claudia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.