Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ostomy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> FREE iCare - PublicMessage format

pinemeadows
Posted 2010-09-02 9:38 AM (#65550)
Subject: ostomy

Veteran

Hubby has an ostomy (2, actually but this question is only for 1) and I would like to be able to make him several ostomy belts.

Is anyone familiar with these?

I need elastic at least 4 inches wide, and then there's the actual opening to deal with. I can work it so the opening is within another sturdy piece of fabric, but I've looked EVERYWHERE for extremely wide elastic, to no avail. Because of the nature of this, the elastic has to be more sturdy than most kinds on the market.

Does anyone have any ideas for ways I could accomplish this?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JoAnndjob
Posted 2010-09-02 11:11 AM (#65560 - in reply to #65550)
Subject: RE: ostomy

I'll ask my son today and try to relply later. He had a temporary ostomy for a year and a half. I'm with him here in Portland this week.
mmkrzus
Posted 2013-04-07 3:19 PM (#85016 - in reply to #65550)
Subject: Re: ostomy

New User

Hi, pinemeadows. My mother just had an ostomy, and I have been looking for products to sew for her--it appears that they have not yet perfected the engineering on ostomy bags as hers keeps popping off, spraying urine all over. I just wanted to make her a sash of some sort that would keep the bag close to her body and, if possible, contain the urine in the event there is any leakage. Does Wild Ginger have an ostomy belt pattern? Also, did you ever find the elastic you wanted? Why did you want the elastic, I mean, would you want elastic to go around the entire body? Thank you.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-04-07 3:51 PM (#85017 - in reply to #65550)

Tech Support

Check Trims on Wheels. I think they had a wide elastic at Puyallup.

They don't have a wide elastic on the web, but won't hurt to ask.

Grandma C
Posted 2013-04-07 5:24 PM (#85020 - in reply to #65550)

Elite Veteran

I used a fairly wide elastic for a high wasted skirt. Found it at Hancock's or Joann's. Could you sew 2 or three rows or 3inch wide elastic together. I also think that sew sassy might have what you want. Or even Atlanta Thread company online. Just thinking outside the box, makes me wonder if a good spandex fabric or a foundation garment fabric, would work.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-04-07 7:05 PM (#85021 - in reply to #85020)

Tech Support

I have about 2 yards of nude spandex I would be happy to send you. Left over from my teaching days.
JillRN1995
Posted 2013-04-08 11:02 AM (#85023 - in reply to #65550)

Extreme Veteran

Mmkrzus,

I am a registered nurse. Ostomy bags should not pop off. Unfortunately, sometimes the ostomy is located right at the waistline, which can be a problem. Some people have skin that just doesn't want things stuck to it. Your mom may need to use a different brand, or it could be a problem with the technique that you are using to secure the wafer to her skin. Please speak with an ostomy nurse for help. Hopefully, one is available for you. An experienced ostomy nurse can help you find solutions to the problem.

I've learned that you must not use anything but water to clean the skin where the wafer will be attached. Soaps will affect the pores of the skin and prevent the device from getting a good seal. You need to warm the wafer with your hands too as you apply it. That improves the adhesion. Skin prep pads help to make the skin sticky. If you use that, then you need to allow it to become sticky before applying the wafer. When you lightly tap your gloved finger on the skin, and your glove wants to stick, then it's ready.

I hope that some of this info is helpful for your mom.

Jill
pinemeadows
Posted 2013-04-10 8:23 PM (#85078 - in reply to #85023)

Veteran

Sorry for not responding sooner - I just came back to visit the forum after a lengthy absence.

My husband passed away before I ever located a source for the elastic.

No, an ostomy bag should NEVER just pop off - my husband had 2 ostomies, and I have to say that never happened. I'm thinking that perhaps the bag itself is not being attached properly to the adhesive part (the part that attaches directly to the skin) - does that make sense? You really have to press to be sure they are secured. It's very difficult for a person to do this on someone else...I had some challenges with that myself. As sick as Bill got, he always did that part because he knew when it was sealed.

As for the adhesive part, he used only rubbing alcohol to get a good adhesion. He was very active, so he "perfected" his way of attaching them through trial and error.

He had 1 session with an ostomy nurse and that was it, but she was very helpful. She gave him bags from different companies to try out.

BJ
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.