Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A home made custom fit form?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

qldgirl
Posted 2010-08-19 7:45 AM (#64623)
Subject: A home made custom fit form?

I've been have a looky at all the photos in the albums of all the fantastic sewing everyone on the forum does. And something caught my attention.
Some people seem to have a dress form made from silver tape. I am assuming that these forms are custom made to a particular persons shape? If this is so I was wondering how they have been made, I did see an older post on padding out a dress form to get the right shape, but I don't currently own one.
I will do a google search, but if anyone has instructions on making one i would greatly appreciate knowing how.
As other ladies have commented, fitting the back of something is not easy, and although my husband tries to be helpful he doesn't really know what he is looking for, or he gets distracted by the view

Thanks so much
Lee-Ann

Edited by qldgirl 2010-08-19 7:52 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2010-08-19 8:05 AM (#64627 - in reply to #64623)
Subject: RE: A home made custom fit form?

Tech Support

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2010-08-19 8:08 AM (#64628 - in reply to #64623)

Tech Support

I have heard the following from those who have made one.

Always keep it dressed.

Never look at your DTD (Duct Tape Double) from behind.

I know someone who made one and lost 12 lbs the next month. 

cindysews
Posted 2010-08-19 10:56 AM (#64641 - in reply to #64623)

Elite Veteran

12 pounds, that's about right....well, I've tried everything else!
Cindy
gallinio
Posted 2010-08-19 4:47 PM (#64667 - in reply to #64623)

Regular

I downloaded this one.
http://www.howcast.com/videos/268751-How-To-Make-a-Custom-Dress-For...
I could do with losing weight fast so I might just make one 12 pounds not bad at all!
Mariette Rose
Posted 2010-08-19 5:02 PM (#64668 - in reply to #64623)

I made one of these last year. Make sure you are well ventilated and well hydrated. I just about suffocated having the tape put on me. I really felt terrible after it was over. I was making it mainly for jackets b/c my skirt and slacks fit are fine, as I use PMB!!! Even jackets fit well but I wanted something for draping and testing styles, etc. However, I wasn't too pleased with the final result. I followed the directions from Threads and also those online. I was not happy and finally purchased a wonderful form from Fabulous Fit. Yes, it was a great deal more expensive but they do offer them at 50% off and I worked directly by phone when I ordered mine. The person with whom I spoke was wonderful and made suggestions of which form I would need for my sewing. It came with arms, los of padding, two covers, rolling stand which is adjustable, and collapsible shoulders. I love it. Save your pennies if you are serious about a dress form. It was worth the wait! go to www.fabulousfit.com and see the multitude of forms they have. Good luck!

Mariette
Beverly A.
Posted 2010-08-19 8:53 PM (#64682 - in reply to #64623)

Elite Veteran

When we had our casting bandage type forms made by Palmer Pletch, they told us not to stand too rigidly, not to lock our knees and to breathe normally. Of course, some people have a bit of claustrophobia and being confined for the length of time it must take to do a DTD has to enter in.
In our case, the person doing the casting bandage form did a soothing motion all the time in order to smooth the bandages and that seemed to help. The only person who got "green at the gills", and yes it does happen, was a young woman who was three or four months pregnant. They just got her out of the form as quickly as possible and all was well.
Beverly A.
qldgirl
Posted 2010-08-19 9:46 PM (#64685 - in reply to #64623)

Lol, Karen that made me laugh! 12 pounds that works out to be 5.44 kg! wow! A whole dress size basically.
I also found a site from an Aussie guy the page is: http://www.patternschool.com/?page_id=103
His instructions seemed a bit more involved, but the thing I liked about it is it has the bottom, thighs, and a crotch, so if you hung it in the closet or from a hanging stand you could put pants on it.
So I thing I will rope my husband into helping me make one. He is on 2 weeks holidays soon so we could do it while the kids are at school.
Thank you all so much for your insightful info. I think the idea of a stretch princess line cover is a fantastic idea, so then my me2 will be clothed.

I will keep you all posted, and I will try to remember to put up some pictures as we go and of the finished product.

Cheers, Lee-Ann
cindysews
Posted 2010-08-20 7:35 AM (#64694 - in reply to #64668)

Elite Veteran

Mariette Rose - 2010-08-19 5:02 PM

purchased a wonderful form from Fabulous Fit. Yes, it was a great deal more expensive but they do offer them at 50% off and I worked directly by phone when I ordered mine. The person with whom I spoke was wonderful and made suggestions of which form I would need for my sewing. It came with arms, los of padding, two covers, rolling stand which is adjustable, and collapsible shoulders. I love it. Save your pennies if you are serious about a dress form. It was worth the wait! go to www.fabulousfit.com and see the multitude of forms they have. Good luck!

Mariette

What form did you end up with? Since there is a multitude as you say? Any recommendations?
Cindy
Melanie
Posted 2010-09-16 10:52 AM (#66465 - in reply to #64623)

You all have the right tool right at your computer!!! Make a tight fitting sloper on PMB, sew it together with a zipper in the back. Put it on inside out, mark the seams where you need to adjust it, take it off, sew it again, and then put it on the current form and pad it a little if you have to. WAHLAH!!
rowena___.
Posted 2010-09-16 12:04 PM (#66473 - in reply to #66465)

the problem of putting a fitting sloper over an existing form is that there are many parts that won't line up--the length from neck to waist for one, the placement of the bust points vertically and horizontally, etc.  the posture is almost never correct on a commercial form either.

editing for clarity:  i meant that the posture of a commercial form is almost never identical to that of living humans.    it is almost always way more erect.

Trish
Posted 2010-09-16 1:26 PM (#66480 - in reply to #66473)

Expert

Speaking of posture...one of the most important things to do BEFORE taking the tape form off the body is to draw a line parallel to the floor all around the bottom of the dress form.  Use a yard stick and mark all around the form, equidistant from the floor.  Then, when the form is put on a stand, stablize the form, making sure this mark is again parallel to the floor.  Otherwise, the form will lean forward or backward more than YOU do, and that throws everything off!
Melanie
Posted 2010-09-16 9:13 PM (#66516 - in reply to #66473)

rowena___. - 2010-09-16 10:04 AM

the problem of putting a fitting sloper over an existing form is that there are many parts that won't line up--the length from neck to waist for one, the placement of the bust points vertically and horizontally, etc.  the posture is almost never correct on a commercial form either.

editing for clarity:  i meant that the posture of a commercial form is almost never identical to that of living humans.    it is almost always way more erect.

That is correct in some situations. For instance, no, the bust on the form and the bust on my sloper don't line up either way...that's why I put a bra on it in the right place, and now it does line up. I've never met anyone whose boobs were that high. When you put the sloper on the form, it should be dialed down to it's smallest measurements so you can pad it. I have done this for every bride I have made a gown for, and that's a lot. Works every time.
cfonfold
Posted 2010-09-16 10:29 PM (#66519 - in reply to #66516)

Expert

I agree, the key is to start if at all possible with a model smaller then you need. I've done many in the shop and been very successful with it. Here at home I have padded up to my demensions and think that the part that is the most difficult is keeping the depth front to back accurate. It's really funny how much difference there is visually in a 28" circle and a 28" oval!

Coopie

Melanie
Posted 2010-09-16 11:20 PM (#66526 - in reply to #64623)

I did the duct tape form, several times. Once I even decided to fill it with that expanding foam that you use to fill cracks...and the thing grew to twice my size! Anyway, the thing I did not like about it was that I couldn't pin into it, or on it. And it was super ugly. Gain or lose a few pounds...make another one. If it's in a hot area, the tape tends to slide. Yes, I used the 3M expensive stuff. It wasn't worth the time it took to make it.
IF you made one, you could always sew the tight sloper to fit over it. Then you could pin into it, it would look better, and the posture would be yours.
allymelba
Posted 2010-09-16 11:20 PM (#66527 - in reply to #64623)

I was lucky to pick up a very good eight part dress form very cheaply a few years ago. But I soon discovered 'gerty' was no where near my shape.
After I purchased PM I turned her into a 'copy' of me.

I made sure her shoulder to waist/ hip measurement and back shoulder width were near mine. Everything else I dialled to smaller.
I then made a slopper to fit GERTY and tacked it on her firmly. So that I had something to tack the padding and bra too.
I then made a princess line slopper out of good calico to fit me and used an open zipper at the back. I tied a piece of string to the zipper so that I could get in and out on my own. NO-ONE was going to see me in this.
After a lot of fiddling I gotthe slopper skin close without streaching the material.
I used the 'over the neck and to the bust level' measurement to ensure the bra was in the correct place. I meaured A LOT.
I then padded gerty to match the space between the two sloppers. Measuring again.
I would like to do this again with a differtent draft for the bust and neck area. I had a lot of problems getting the clevage and neck area correct.
Gerty now matches my measurement. She even has my sway back and padding in places that I would rather she didn't need them.

Edited by allymelba 2010-09-16 11:42 PM

(Gerty mailing_1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Gerty mailing_1.JPG (61KB - 2 downloads)
Melanie
Posted 2010-09-16 11:39 PM (#66529 - in reply to #64623)

Allymelbe, that's exactly how I did it, too, right down to the string on the zipper. I had to be able to do it all by myself! Once when I did a duct tape, I taped myself up, and had to have my young stepson cut me up the back to get out of it. He giggled during the whole thing.

Photobucket

Edited by Melanie 2010-09-16 11:47 PM
Patti
Posted 2010-09-17 12:05 AM (#66530 - in reply to #64628)

Extreme Veteran

Karen - Tech Support - 2010-08-19 4:08 AM

I have heard the following from those who have made one.

Always keep it dressed.

Never look at your DTD (Duct Tape Double) from behind.

I know someone who made one and lost 12 lbs the next month. 

I did that, but it was 45 lbs. I made the My Twin Fit with the bandages, etc. Then, before getting to really use it, I had to use a carpenters tool to trim the form down. A little messy, but easy. I just had to keep measuring "her" to be sure it was right. Worth the effort.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2010-09-17 8:12 AM (#66541 - in reply to #66519)

Years ago, our professional sewing group had a guest speaker who was a fitter for two different American (NYC) designers. Nina showed us how she padded out dress forms for their plus-size clients, which was really interesting. They took a regular dress form and added polyester batting to replicate the bulges and curves of their clients' bodies, then covered it in muslin or canvas, and did all the fitting from that.
rowena___.
Posted 2010-09-17 8:57 AM (#66547 - in reply to #64623)

at the opera costume shop i had three wolf forms and two adjustable forms.  the adjustable ones were great for padding out, but i only padded the wolf forms when i had a close enough match.  for the last four years i was there we had some very small singers so i often made bodies instead.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.