Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

draped neck blouse
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Garment ConstructionMessage format

extra stitches
Posted 2010-08-12 8:54 AM (#64283)
Subject: draped neck blouse

Veteran

I've never done the draped neck blouse. Do I need to interface any part of the front draped neck? If I'm using a drapey fabric would darts be a problem.

Thanks
Pat in MO
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2010-08-12 10:09 AM (#64295 - in reply to #64283)
Subject: RE: draped neck blouse

Extreme Veteran

I think the answer is no to both your questions. If the fabric is a knit, then it is another matter. However, you wouldn't interface the front for a drapey woven. You would interface the back neckline to keep it from stretching. If the fabric is slippery, just be careful when marking and handling, but stretch in the darts should not be a problem.
extra stitches
Posted 2010-08-12 10:51 AM (#64302 - in reply to #64295)

Veteran

Thank you I need all the help I can get. It is a thin drapey polyester knit.

Thanks
Pat in MO
Kathleen
Posted 2010-08-14 11:17 PM (#64415 - in reply to #64295)

This is an interesting discussion. I was just looking at the draped neck draft yesterday myself. I think it would be a lovely "shell" type top to wear now as is, and later in colder weather, as a top under jackets. Marilyn, do you know anyone who has made this neckline? I would love to see a photo of exactly what it looks like.

My thought was to make a top with short kimono sleeves (to cover some arm "fluff" and the draped neckline. Unfortunately, with the kimono type draft in pattern drafter (PMB4) the draped neckline was greyed out on the screen. Not sure how to deal with that.

Kathleen

PCMomwad
Posted 2010-08-16 10:28 PM (#64472 - in reply to #64283)

Extreme Veteran

Kathleen--I made a draped (cowl) top in PMB 3.  There is a photo at www.flyingember.com/sewing/sewing.html.  Scroll about 3/4 of the way down to the red top made in Jan. 2005.  This is a very soft knit, almost like slinky.  If I cut this in a woven, I would do it out of a very soft, drapey fabric and cut it ON THE BIAS.  I put stay tape into the back neckline, and sometimes pin the facing to my bra to hold the drape down.

I'm not sure a draped neckline would work very well with a kimono sleeve--the grainline would be too wonky and the sleeves at a funny angle.

Edited by PCMomwad 2010-08-16 10:29 PM
Kathleen
Posted 2010-08-18 8:32 PM (#64573 - in reply to #64472)

Hi All,

Just wanted to say a special "thank you" to Phyllis for directing me to the lovely draped neckline top she made and photographed. This is exactly what I wanted to see. It is really a nice neckline and you did a wonderful job of drafting and sewing it. It is so much better to see what is possible in real fabric on a real person!!

Thank you again!

Kathleen

PCMomwad
Posted 2010-08-19 12:13 AM (#64603 - in reply to #64283)

Extreme Veteran

You are welcome.  It's a time consuming project to create my PMB web page, but I find it handy in cases like yours, and use it as a reference for myself. 
pamelac858
Posted 2010-08-19 6:22 AM (#64616 - in reply to #64283)

Elite Veteran

I tried this neckline on a very nice piece of fabric before I made a test garment (DUMB DUMB DUMB!). I hated it. I LOVE cowl necklines, always have, but it was very high, not a flattering look on me. It might look great on you - just be aware that it will be a lot higher than most RTW and Karen told me that there is no way to lower it in PD, you have to make the changes in PE. I have an old Vogue pattern that I really like and will use it until I can draft one in PMB that resembles it.

Good luck, and don't forget pictures!

Pam
cindysews
Posted 2010-08-19 11:03 AM (#64644 - in reply to #64283)

Elite Veteran

I interfaced the self-facing in very soft fusible knit interfacing. One pattern I used called for this a long time ago, so I carried it over to PM. Before you cut your fashion fabric make sure you are happy with the drape. Rowena does a tutorial on drape neckline. If the drape isn't deep enough you can add to it in the paper pattern. Also you will need to widen the neckline a little to accommodate the drape.
Cindy
skiermaggie45
Posted 2010-09-19 9:56 PM (#66688 - in reply to #64283)

I've never done a draped neck blouse either and want to. I have a light weight cotton knit fabric. Phyllis, I love your red draped neck top! (And I appreciate your creativity on some of your other tops.) The higher drape is exactly what I was hoping for. (I'm 4'11" so there isn't much room between neck and bust and almost no room between bust and waist!)

Where would I find Rowena's tutorial? I'm still stumbling around the website and PMB! I'm slightly amazed and very pleased I found this thread.

I was trying to find sewing instructions. Specifically how to finish the neckline. I really don't want to have to pin it to my bra to make it behave. I would most likely forget, pull up the top to take it off, and get stuck halfway out of it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.