Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I copy the TS Barcelona dress?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Pattern Editor Projects - PublicMessage format

cfonfold
Posted 2010-06-25 4:58 PM (#62985 - in reply to #62984)
Subject: RE: How do I copy the TS Barcelona dress?

Expert

Go to the head of the class!

Coopie

Top of the page Bottom of the page
rebells
Posted 2010-06-25 5:47 PM (#62986 - in reply to #62985)

Extreme Veteran

Great.    Now I can get started.
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2010-06-26 12:11 PM (#62996 - in reply to #62986)

Extreme Veteran

Nice work! I think you've solved all the mysteries. Seeing the line drawing, one can see that, what would be the cf seam on a PMB flared skirt is now to be cut on the fold, or straight of grain. The 'old' side seam, which is on the bias will be the cf seam. Bias naturally stretches, so you will get the flounce effect that you desire. I would add more flare than your PMB pattern shows in the above post--the one with your photo of the TS pattern.

I like solving these riddles, too. I am working on copying a Nanette Lepore design and jacket for a client's MOG outfit. I'll ask for permission to post the results.

Marilyn
dotmoll
Posted 2010-07-22 2:57 AM (#63594 - in reply to #62667)

Elite Veteran

So how did the dress turn out?

I was fascinated by this, so one weekend I got a pretty remnant of cotton voile and set out to make a tunic version. Two things....I should have been SUPER careful to stabilize everything (preferably by remote control, from a distance, without touching ANYTHING!) before sewing, as the fabric went limp in my hot, sweaty paws, and some seams stretched. What a surprise THAT wasn't.

I simply slashed the pattern to make the diagonal seamline between bodice and "skirt", and added a little more shaping by curving the skirt waist seam down a bit. When I sewed it up, I noticed two things:

1) The V at the front, where the bodice and skirt meet, sticks out...I assume that cutting the side seams on the straight grain had something to do with it, and also the exact curve of the skirt waist seam. Recutting the the skirt waistline helped. Maybe the seam stretched as I sewed it, as the fabric is a bit loose and the weather hot and humid.

2) I used about 5-6" (10-15 cm) of ease, and with the kimono/dolman shaping, the armhole drops way down when your arms are lowered. I thought I'd allowed for it by angling the diagonal line steeply, but actually, with my arms down, the diagonal bodice/skirt seam becomes almost horizontal at the sides.

Has anybody else sewn this up yet? I think I'll have another go...in fact, I need to have another go, because the second time I wore Version 1, I tore it on a sharp piece of metal as I jumped out of the way of a car tearing down our narrow streets (no sidewalks in my area!). I suppose I should be glad that it was only two layers of clothing that were damaged, and not me!
cfonfold
Posted 2010-07-22 2:42 PM (#63610 - in reply to #63594)

Expert

This is certainly an instance where being able to see the red fitting garment under the pattern pieces is a great help in judging ease and the placement of the sleeve hem.

Coopie'

Did you do a muslin?

C

Edited by cfonfold 2010-07-22 2:43 PM
dotmoll
Posted 2010-07-22 4:55 PM (#63613 - in reply to #62667)

Elite Veteran

This was the muslin...I didn't have anything else of a remotely similar weight. However, it was too delicate to rework much, so I might try a muslin in a different fabric anyway. Any tips on cutting waist seams appreciated! Hoping to have a week of sewing time soon between end of term and advent of house guest.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.