Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for advice on making a stretchy dress with no zipper
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Click&Sew - PublicMessage format

hotsteno
Posted 2010-04-13 1:50 PM (#62131)
Subject: Looking for advice on making a stretchy dress with no zipper

Hi there!

I bought the Click & Sew 1201 Women's Fitting Garments, planning to make myself the simple fitted dress (bodice and skirt) with a few darts, a scoop neckline (not too low, just low enough to show off my grandmother's necklace, which matches the fabric), and no zipper. I bought polyester fabric with a little give in it so that I can just wiggle into it.

In case you can't tell already, I am not very experienced at sewing, and this is my first experience making something with Click & Sew.

I have two questions:

1. I'm planning on just ignoring the zipper and sewing up the back of the dress. Even though the fabric is a little bit stretchy, should I leave myself a little more room? How much room? And where exactly do I enter that in the software? I'm guessing "ease settings." Is that right?

2. I want the neckline to scoop just enough to show off my pretty necklace. I think that's about 3.5-4 inches below the wishbone. However, "neckline settings" front depth doesn't go beyond 1.5. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what that means or how that's measured. If anyone could please tell me where to enter the settings for the scoop neckline I'm looking for, that would be great.

Thanks for your help! I am really looking forward to working on my new dress.

Missy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2010-04-13 3:29 PM (#62132 - in reply to #62131)
Subject: RE: Looking for advice on making a stretchy dress with no zipper

Administrator

hotsteno - 2010-04-13 1:50 PM

Hi there!

I bought the Click & Sew 1201 Women's Fitting Garments, planning to make myself the simple fitted dress (bodice and skirt) with a few darts, a scoop neckline (not too low, just low enough to show off my grandmother's necklace, which matches the fabric), and no zipper. I bought polyester fabric with a little give in it so that I can just wiggle into it.

In case you can't tell already, I am not very experienced at sewing, and this is my first experience making something with Click & Sew.

I have two questions:

1. I'm planning on just ignoring the zipper and sewing up the back of the dress. Even though the fabric is a little bit stretchy, should I leave myself a little more room? How much room? And where exactly do I enter that in the software? I'm guessing "ease settings." Is that right?

2. I want the neckline to scoop just enough to show off my pretty necklace. I think that's about 3.5-4 inches below the wishbone. However, "neckline settings" front depth doesn't go beyond 1.5. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what that means or how that's measured. If anyone could please tell me where to enter the settings for the scoop neckline I'm looking for, that would be great.

Thanks for your help! I am really looking forward to working on my new dress.

Missy

Hi Missy,

Click and Sew 1201 is for creating fit garments only. It is not really meant to be used for creating garments to wear. It does not include a scoop neck - only a jewel neckline with a neck depth limit of 1.5 inches. If you want to sew dresses to wear, you should have purchased either Click and Sew 1101 or PatternMaster Boutique.

It is unlikely that you can make a dress in Click and Sew 1201, not sew in a zipper and get it on. The fitting dress in that program is not meant to do that. The ease settings do not go high enough and polyester fabric with only a little stretch is not going to give enough for you to get it over your head.

hotsteno
Posted 2010-04-13 3:51 PM (#62133 - in reply to #62131)

Thanks for your reply!

Well, then the bad news is I bought the wrong thing, but the good news is that I actually also bought 1103 first. Sounds like I should have quit while I was ahead.

I am seriously considering buying the PMB program. I have heard so many good things about it, and I think that's really what I wanted. I wonder if the company will allow me to return the two programs I bought for a credit on PMB? I think I will write and ask.

Thanks again for your help! Missy
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2010-04-14 5:53 AM (#62136 - in reply to #62131)

Tech Support

Click and Sew programs can't be returned for credit, but you may sell your license.  Contact us before you do this so we can give you details on how to transfer the license.

Reading this - have you actually made the fit garment to see if your have your measurements correct.  It will need a zipper to get it on.  A dress without a zipper needs to be large enough in the waist to go over the bust to get it on.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.