Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

doing work ahead of time
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Sewing as a BusinessMessage format

Judy B
Posted 2010-03-15 9:17 AM (#61674)
Subject: doing work ahead of time

Elite Veteran

We did costumes for the party scene for nutcracker last year. I am trying to think of ways to do some of the work ahead of time. I was thinking about doing muslins so that the child could try it on and we could make adjustments from that. This past year we just used mccalls patterns. They worked with very minor adjustments. I am trying to use software more than the pattern companies. I would love to make the basic shell of the dress ahead and then all that would be left would be decorating but I don't know if that is possible. I am interested in any suggestions to do as much of the work ahead of time as possible. That time of the year is very busy so I want to speed up the process as much as possible. Any suggestions to speed up the process would be appreciated.
Thanks
Judy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rowena___.
Posted 2010-03-15 10:06 AM (#61676 - in reply to #61674)
Subject: RE: doing work ahead of time

judy, are these the children or the adults in the party scene?  the problem for the children's clothes will be that the kids will grow so much between now and nutcracker time.  try to build things with growth tucks and let outs, which will make them usable by more than one child or for more than one season anyway.

for the adults leave the biggest seam allowance possible on every seam (which will vary from seam to seam), up to 1" on side seams, but probably no more than 5/8" on things like sleeve caps and armscyes.  

do you have renderings yet?  or are you building blind?  do you at least have a color palette?  

Judy B
Posted 2010-03-15 11:33 AM (#61678 - in reply to #61674)

Elite Veteran

Oh man I don't know what happened but I replied and it disappeared. So if this gets posted twice sorry.
We do not have a color palette or sizes. Last year we had children and 2 adults. The adults may be able to reuse their dresses. We did this style
http://www.wildginger.com/forums/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=61&p...

Last year when we first started these I lined the bodice and did it the correct way. I soon realized that it was easier lining the bodice and treating the bodice and lining as 1. It was easier to make adjustments. I think if we do muslins then we can make adjustments when we do the final version. That would help with not having so many adjustments. I am creating a web site to sale costumes. I had thought about doing a section for nutcracker costumes since so many places do nutcracker at christmas.
I think we will also have 3 synchro skating teams this year so I am trying to see if there is a way to do things ahead so fall is not so crazy.
Thanks for suggestions I appreciate it.
Judy
rowena___.
Posted 2010-03-15 12:40 PM (#61679 - in reply to #61678)

Judy B - 2010-03-15 9:33 AMOh man I don't know what happened but I replied and it disappeared. So if this gets posted twice sorry. We do not have a color palette or sizes. Last year we had children and 2 adults. The adults may be able to reuse their dresses. We did this style http://www.wildginger.com/forums/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=61&a...

oh yes, now i remember, those are really pretty!

Last year when we first started these I lined the bodice and did it the correct way. I soon realized that it was easier lining the bodice and treating the bodice and lining as 1. It was easier to make adjustments.

yes, we call this flat lining and it is the standard in most theatrical costumes.

I think if we do muslins then we can make adjustments when we do the final version. That would help with not having so many adjustments. I am creating a web site to sale costumes. I had thought about doing a section for nutcracker costumes since so many places do nutcracker at christmas. I think we will also have 3 synchro skating teams this year so I am trying to see if there is a way to do things ahead so fall is not so crazy. Thanks for suggestions I appreciate it.Judy

judy, you might check out some purchased costumes from the various dance school catalogs, you will get some good tips from looking at how they are built.

i know some people who make the muslins out of lining, then when they had had the fitting they can just work directly on the fabric.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.