Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

business name
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Sewing as a BusinessMessage format

magenta
Posted 2010-02-18 3:40 PM (#61299)
Subject: business name

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone.

I've decided to stick my neck out and start a sewing business. I've enrolled on a course the government over here runs where you get a mentor and payment equivalent to unemployment benefit for a year while you start your business. The point of this post is the business name. I'd pretty much decided on 'M4U' (making clear on business cards etc that this stood for 'made for you'). However, I was talking to my hairdresser the other day and she's great for finding out info from! She was telling me about a lady who visits their salon who is looking for a dress maker and when she looked in yellow pages all the ads looked really boring. The business name's are pretty boring too eg '............. Place', '........... Designs'. Now I'm wondering if M4U is attention-grabbing enough and came up with 'Free- Range Chic' in the middle of the night! I know this is definitely different, but does it sound too silly/weitd/different to be taken seriously? I'd value your opinions.

Thanks

Sarah
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Welmoed
Posted 2010-02-18 6:13 PM (#61307 - in reply to #61299)
Subject: RE: business name

Elite Veteran

Choosing a business name is one of the most stressful things I had to do, and I've done it four times now.

The MOST critical part of a name is that it should tell the reader at least something about what the business does. "Free Range Chic" sounds cute, but it doesn't tell me anything about what you do, and makes me think of a clothing store for teenagers. "M4U" is equally cryptic.

Are you teaching sewing, or sewing for other people? Who's your target market? Who do you want to appeal to?

When I first started my sewing business I used the name "Sewing Seams Easy". This was mostly because I was planning on teaching sewing, and wanted to convey the idea that I could make sewing easy for someone, while at the same time acknowledging that it can only SEEM easy, so they need me to teach them. Well, the sewing school didn't pan out and I ended up doing home dec sewing. The name was cute, but people don't equate cute with high quality, and I got a lot of resistance on price. Finally I decided to change the name of the business to "Bellwoods Interiors", which was a bit classier. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, the market for custom draperies around here tanked, so I closed the shop. Moral of the story: even a great name doesn't guarantee success.

Come up with a few alternatives for business names and then ask your friends and acquaintances for their opinions. Ask total strangers, if you're comfortable with that. "Which one of these business names would you choose for a [your type of business], and why?" The answers may surprise you.

One final note: Part of the process of choosing a business name should be a search to see if that domain name is available. It would be terrible to choose a great name, only to find out that everyone who searches for it will find someone else's business, not yours.

--Welmoed
magenta
Posted 2010-02-18 6:40 PM (#61308 - in reply to #61307)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks

Should have made myself clearer. I will be making clothes for women in the 35+ age group who want to be fashion-forward and look a bit wear clothes that are a bit out of the ordinary without looking like their teenage daughters

Sarah
Welmoed
Posted 2010-02-18 6:56 PM (#61309 - in reply to #61299)

Elite Veteran

"The Couture Closet"
"Your Personal Runway"
"Fit Perfection"
"Dressed to Thrill"
"Not Your Ordinary Dressmaker"
"Dressed to Perfection"
"Your Private Stylist"
"Linen, Lace and Luxury"
"A Fit Apart"

--These are just off the top of my head.

--Welmoed
ChristineBrown
Posted 2010-02-19 12:42 PM (#61318 - in reply to #61309)

Elite Veteran

And I agree with Welmoed. Each of her suggestions tells me exactly what you would be doing for me. While M4U makes me wonder if it is about superhighways, chemical compounds or a university. It is cute, but I think getting the person's attention isn't enough if they don't know what you make or do. Using your 4U, how about Couture4U JMHO
magenta
Posted 2010-02-19 3:16 PM (#61319 - in reply to #61299)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Welmoed and Christine.
You've definitely given me food for thought.

Sarah
magenta
Posted 2010-02-19 3:49 PM (#61320 - in reply to #61299)

Extreme Veteran

I just googled freerange chic and M4U. Free range chic came up with a recycled clothes shop in Keene NH and M4U is a site where you can download music.
Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2010-02-20 4:40 AM (#61325 - in reply to #61299)

Elite Veteran

In my many years of banking, I have (a) opened thousands of business accounts and (b) telephoned thousands of businesses.

Once you have selected a name, practice answering a telephone using the business name - if it sounds silly, longwinded or hard to say then move on to the next option.  I find a lot of people answer their business phones so quickly that their business name is garbled and the caller then has to say "is that XYZ business" which gets the call off to a bad start.  For this reason, I would dodge names like "Not Your Ordinary Dressmaker".   Just answering the phone with your own name also results in people asking "is that XYZ business". 

I'd suggest no more than a two or three word name and I'd also agree the business name needs to give a reasonable clue to the business activity.  You will also want to register your business name - have you checked www.abr.gov.au to make sure no one else has registered this name. 

barbara
Posted 2010-02-21 7:36 PM (#61352 - in reply to #61320)

when I read free range chic, the first thing I thought of was organic chickens. I went to my first chick fil-a recently.

maybe I have food on the brain, but I do agree you need to know what you are selling with the name.
Beverly A.
Posted 2010-02-22 7:22 PM (#61371 - in reply to #61299)

Elite Veteran

Another thing: Try to avoid answering the telephone with propaganda for the business. I absolutely detest hearing "XYZ business and then yadda, yadda, yadda about the business.
Beverly A.
marieannepynn
Posted 2012-07-24 10:44 PM (#82881 - in reply to #61299)
Subject: Re: business name

Veteran

I started a business approximately a year ago. It's called Studio Retro-Custom Clothing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.