Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Printing Confusion
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Printing Tips and Techniques - PublicMessage format

korsakat
Posted 2010-02-14 1:18 AM (#61221)
Subject: Printing Confusion

Hi all I'm in Perth, Western Australia and am new to all this, and a tad nervous about 'going live" on the Forum. I have taken one of the online courses, and had terrific help from Karen email to email. However, I feel I should just 'go out there' with this problem. It comes in two parts: 1) Printing patterns from SE goes smoothly, and includes the page and column numbers on each page, BUT with facings for some faced top pants, no grain line on the facings!! I know I can fold them in half and sort of suss it out, but surely like the other pattern pieces the grain lines should show on every piece?? 2) If I take a pattern drafted in SE to PE and make changes, save etc.. then want to print.....I can't make the pieces move around for the print layout once I push the print button...it just turns all pieces to red, moves all of them, and takes up massive no of pages; I would like to be more economical with the print layout. I tried 'arranging' pieces on the PE screen and then printing, but no page/column numbers.
I am sure I'm missing something, or two, somewhere. Anyone have any ideas??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ambro0
Posted 2010-02-14 4:41 AM (#61223 - in reply to #61221)
Subject: RE: Printing Confusion

Veteran

Hi Sewing Sar. Welcome to the Forums. I'm in Queensland so not really that far away from you - LOL!!!

When you are in PE, click on Print. When the print dialogue box opens up, click on Cancel. This will take you into the Print Layout screen. Here you can click on individual pattern pieces and move them around - when you click on a pattern piece, it changes to red and you can drag it to where you want.  Once you are satisfied with your layout, click on the Print icon and your pattern pieces will print out as per your layout.

You can also play with "Page Select" and "Piece Select" - this is handy if you only want to print out one piece - to do this, you choose "Page Select" and click on each page that you need to print out the pattern piece/s that you want. Confused? Just have a play and you will see what I mean.

Have fun!!!

westozmum
Posted 2010-02-14 6:35 AM (#61224 - in reply to #61221)

HI
was just reading your post and agree with the other reply...but more to the point got a bit when I saw you are from Perth...So am I!!!

I read this forum all the time...have learnt alot and continue to learn as i go... with a bit of help

Cheers

Laura
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2010-02-14 8:48 AM (#61226 - in reply to #61221)

Administrator

korsakat - 2010-02-14 1:18 AM

Hi all I'm in Perth, Western Australia and am new to all this, and a tad nervous about 'going live" on the Forum. I have taken one of the online courses, and had terrific help from Karen email to email. However, I feel I should just 'go out there' with this problem. It comes in two parts: 1) Printing patterns from SE goes smoothly, and includes the page and column numbers on each page, BUT with facings for some faced top pants, no grain line on the facings!!

The grainline on neckline facings is always the center front or center back line or the Place On Fold line if there is one.

I know I can fold them in half and sort of suss it out, but surely like the other pattern pieces the grain lines should show on every piece?? 2) If I take a pattern drafted in SE to PE and make changes, save etc.. then want to print.....I can't make the pieces move around for the print layout once I push the print button...it just turns all pieces to red, moves all of them, and takes up massive no of pages; I would like to be more economical with the print layout. I tried 'arranging' pieces on the PE screen and then printing, but no page/column numbers.
I am sure I'm missing something, or two, somewhere. Anyone have any ideas??

To print from PE, you have to group each pattern separately after editing or you cannot move them around on the print screen.
julie w
Posted 2010-02-14 4:27 PM (#61229 - in reply to #61221)

Extreme Veteran

Hi, and welcome from a fellow Perth user.
korsakat
Posted 2010-02-14 9:06 PM (#61233 - in reply to #61226)

Hi Lisa. But my problem is with shaped facings for trousers, instead of a waistband. Neither front or back facing is placed on the fold, although when I can work out which is CB on the BACK facing I will cut it on the fold, so no grain probs. There are no notches on the facings, only seam allowances are printing, so I am not sure which end of the front joins to which end of the back facing!!
korsakat
Posted 2010-02-14 9:18 PM (#61234 - in reply to #61223)

Hi ambroO and thanks for the tip with using the Cancel after the Print button. Yep have already mastered Piece and Page buttons, very useful. Also 'grouping' pieces individually before opting to print makes life easier. But how do I get the Sloper outline to stay out of the Printing arrangements -- I deleted it on the PE screen but it insists on popping up on the Print layout. I know I can omit it from printing by using the Page option, but would rather it stayed out of the game!!
Still foxed by lack of grainlines on pants top facings, and can't work out which is CB and which end is side seam!!
korsakat
Posted 2010-02-14 9:20 PM (#61235 - in reply to #61224)

Hi and thanks for the welcome. julie w and westozmum we have probably passed amongst the bolts at Fabulous Fabrics in Balcatta??

Edited by korsakat 2010-02-14 9:22 PM
julie w
Posted 2010-02-14 9:38 PM (#61236 - in reply to #61235)

Extreme Veteran

Hi, Korsakat, the program doesn't print the facings with notches, I usually line it up over the main pattern piece to see what is centre front etc. Others will be able to tell you how the pieces print if not rotated in PE, but I can never remember!
When you save your patterns is asks if you want to save with the sloper, you can always say no at this point to avoid it coming up on the print screen, but find I usually move my pieces around anyway to save on paper and use page select.
Haven't been to Fabulous Fabrics for a while (trying to sew from the stash, need room and save money etc)! but it is a great store, probably high up on the list in Perth, certainly North of the River.
Julie
PCMomwad
Posted 2010-02-14 11:10 PM (#61237 - in reply to #61221)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Sewing Sar,

If you really want notches and grainlines on your pattern pieces, you need to learn a bit of Pattern Editor.  There you can draw on as many notches or lines as you like, or type in words like "back" and "side" while the pattern pieces are still laid out in order.  Then group each piece and move them around for optimum printing.  (I like to cross as few paper seams as possible, even if it takes more paper.)

korsakat
Posted 2010-02-15 12:27 AM (#61239 - in reply to #61237)

Thank you for all this info ladies. The SE puts grain lines on pattern pieces, or it does on the pants, but not on the facings!! I understand I can add text, notches etc in PE, but if it the pattern piece comes from SE without CB or CF marked, I am kind of in the dark as to where to write CB or CF, just the same problem but on the screen.
And now I seem to have another problem -- no matter what I call my 'design' when I save the pattern in SE or PE it prints out with 'StyleName TempStyleName' on each piece Makes it hard to distinguish my many variations on the same thing!!
Susan in Miami
Posted 2010-02-15 5:42 AM (#61240 - in reply to #61239)

Expert

When you first design a style all pattern pieces are the right side of the garment. Knowing that should tell you which side is Center Back or Center Front.

My patterns all have individual names. I do not know what you are doing, or when you are doing it, so I can't say why you are not saving an individual name to a pattern. I frequently save to Catalog (in style editor) first, giving my pattern a name, and then I can always go back to this syle, open it, and create a new style with a new name based on this first saved style. Makes for a lot less work since all the choices that I like are already thought out.

Susan

korsakat
Posted 2010-02-15 6:40 AM (#61241 - in reply to #61240)

Hi Susan, I think you might have nailed the CB/CF problem for me -- many thanks.
Yes I save my patterns in Catalog (in SE), and also Save Pattern with the same (unique name) -- the Style Summary comes out of the printer with the right pattern name on it, but only the first pattern I did came out with its name on it, the ones now come out as "Style Name TempStyleName". Will have to go through the process again, CAREFULLY, and make sure I do all the steps in the right order! Watch this space!!
Mary Anne
Posted 2010-02-15 6:59 AM (#61242 - in reply to #61241)

I have recently found that when saving patterns it is asking for a name twice!

I clck on save pattern and give it a name, and click save, this takes me to the final pattern screen and when I click save pattern the box used to open with the name I had given it, and I would click save but now it needs to have the name typed in again. Perhaps this may be the problem.
I think Karen and Lisa are aware of this.

korsakat
Posted 2010-02-15 5:48 PM (#61247 - in reply to #61242)

Yes, I am getting that -- being asked for the name twice. I have to write the first one down in case of interruption between being asked first and second times!! But as yet am not getting the 'right' name printed on pattern pieces. Will settle down for a session today from go to whoa and see if I can sort out where I am losing my pattern names!! They show up in the file of patterns, but not on the pattern pieces!!
Pam in N.Yorkshire U
Posted 2010-02-16 9:25 AM (#61251 - in reply to #61247)

If you are printing from PE it doesn't print the actual style name, only the Temp style that you are getting. I get this when I print from PE, so no need to worry, you are not doing anything wrong! Good luck.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2010-02-16 9:44 AM (#61252 - in reply to #61221)

Tech Support

I tested.  I saved a pattern and then went into PE and it printed with the correct name.

If you are getting temp you must be saving with that name.  If it asks you to retype the name and you don't it won't show the name - just type the name you want when asked.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.