Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finished child's top and zipper question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

schoolnsuch
Posted 2010-02-02 12:02 PM (#60994)
Subject: Finished child's top and zipper question

Regular

I made this top last week.  I love how "young" it looks on my little girl.  To make it I used Child's Play (dress design I chopped short).   I still haven't figured out how to do the sewing on a cut on cap sleeve.  Last one I trimmed with bias tape this one I cut 2 sets of fronts and backs to line the top with the same fabric.  My patterns are not printing out any type of arm facings for this sleeve type but the seam allowance looks like a regular seam? I can't figure out the "correct" way to sew it.  Does anyone know of a way I can find how to properly sew the rough edges on the cut on the cap sleeve?  I like how the top turned out.  My little one loves it.

Zipper question... I keep looking at kids clothing in higher end clothing stores and more and more I am reading in descriptions things like this...

Subtle couture details like the ruffle neckline and exposed back zipper have us swooning and wishing it came in our size.

My question is do any of you think exposed zippers make a nice detail?  I always thought it was a BIG NO NO to expose a zipper up the back of a "little girl" dress.  Am I wrong?   I want to sew things "in style" for my girls but this sounds cheap and poor quality to me.  I decided to FORCE myself to show the zipper in this top. I figured a red zipper on a ladybug play top might be OK to try out the look...  I don't think it added any beautiful detail but I don't think it looks as bad as I thought it would.  I do think it looks a bit "cheap" with the zipper showing to me.  I wonder what do you all think?  I can't imagine ever exposing a zipper up the back of a little girl church dress with ruffles. Do you think I need to change my mind to keep up with the times? 

The headband I made out of a bit of FOE. 
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my rambles and helping me figure things out.

(Jan 31 050.jpg)

(Jan 31 058.jpg)

(Jan 31 051.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jan 31 050.jpg (67KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments Jan 31 058.jpg (77KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Jan 31 051.jpg (58KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rowena___.
Posted 2010-02-02 12:07 PM (#60995 - in reply to #60994)
Subject: RE: Finished child's top and zipper question

whether or not something is a "no-no" is a matter of personal taste.  there are no rules.  if you prefer yours to not show, then sew them that way.

for the cut-on cap sleeve, i prefer a fully-lined bodice, or to sew the cap on and then finish the sleeve and armscye in one with bias binding or facing.

schoolnsuch
Posted 2010-02-02 12:12 PM (#60996 - in reply to #60995)

Regular

Rowena, Thank you so much!  I was worried I wasn't doing them right!   I feel so much better now!
Grandma C
Posted 2010-02-02 12:54 PM (#60997 - in reply to #60996)

Elite Veteran

Thank you for sharing that photo. That top is so sweet. There is no wrong way if it looks good and that top looks so well made. Oh and the settings for this top would be priceless to me. Would you share with me where you got the fabric?? My DGD wants to decorate her nursery in lady bugs and I have already niick named her Lady Bug. She is due in July.
SueC56
Posted 2010-02-02 1:05 PM (#60998 - in reply to #60994)

Extreme Veteran

Nicely done!
Michellyn
Posted 2010-02-02 1:06 PM (#60999 - in reply to #60997)

I agree that it turned out really cute   I think a lot of factors would play into my zipper choice.  I'd rather see a nice contrast than a not quite matched zipper (and sometimes it's hard to find one that really blends in well.  If the contrast creates a nice style line, I also might use it.  I really do like it on yours--I don't think it looks cheap. 

I think your lining might also have helped the cap stand out like it is (I like the effect).  Great job!
Welmoed
Posted 2010-02-02 2:51 PM (#61002 - in reply to #60994)

Elite Veteran

Adorable outfit on an adorable child! I really like the zipper showing (and am seeing a lot of that on stuff in stores, so you're not wrong... you're trendy!).

--Welmoed
Judy B
Posted 2010-02-02 4:11 PM (#61006 - in reply to #60994)

Elite Veteran

Your daughter and top are adorable. My daughter who is a fashion design major says if you wear something with confidence then it does not matter. I think the zipper is very cute. I saw a Michael Kors dress in Vogue magazine that had an exposed zipper over the shoulder. I think zippers are the in thing now.
Judy
schoolnsuch
Posted 2010-02-02 9:23 PM (#61014 - in reply to #60997)

Regular

Grandma C I just sent you a PM with all the info on the top settings.  I hope I sent it to you... I am trying to figure out how all this works.  Let me know if my message didn't show up!
rockysanna
Posted 2010-04-03 6:26 PM (#61988 - in reply to #61006)

Veteran

Not only is the top cute as a button but so is your little angel. I love the red peek-a-boo zipper. It really adds something.

I have a funny story about outside zippers, I had no idea they were making them show until a young woman friend came over with two dresses she was deciding on to wear in a wedding (each girl was to pick a black dress she liked). This dress was a simple, straight short skirt, empire waist made out of a GORGEOUS alcqon (sp??) lace. It was absolutely divine and fit like a dream. I asked her to turn around and she started to say something about the zipper. On this fabulous dress, they had sewn the zipper totally on the outside all the way down the back. In fact, I think it was a separating zipper. It was horrid. It ruined that dress completely. The other dress was the definite winner. Of all the things to do. We decided they must have wanted to make the dress "edgy" but they really picked the wrong dress for it.

Oh well.......

But yours is great.

SLCSandy
Posted 2010-05-07 9:11 PM (#62496 - in reply to #60994)

I love this top as it is much like what I wand to make for my GD, I am new and just starting using PMChild's Play. Would you send me the settings for this please? Thank you so much. email address is mimichumney@hotmail.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.