Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Am I Sewing?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> The Sewing ChallengeMessage format

patmiller3
Posted 2009-09-14 10:56 AM (#58121 - in reply to #57835)
Subject: RE: What Am I Sewing?

Veteran

Thank you for the sweatshirt settings.
Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page
txsueh
Posted 2009-09-20 12:23 PM (#58407 - in reply to #58083)

Extreme Veteran

Lisa, this is great. I've been using elastic in my sewn on waistbands for years. I add about 1/2 to 1 inch ease in the waist for darted pants. I sew the elastic to the seam of the pant and waistband. I also use a bit of that stiff non-stretch stuff for waistband (the name escapes me at the moment) at each end of the waistband. I do this because I do not like the 'pull' that elastic gives at the closure, both at under lap and center front. I sew about 3" of the stiff stuff to one end of the elastic for the underlap, and about 1 1/2" to the center front part of the elastic.

Edited by me to say: I should have said I add an extra 1/2 to 1" ease to the normal waist ease. Also should have stated that I use front zipper with sewn on facings.

Lisa Shanley - 2009-09-13 5:08 PM

I have added this new waistline option to the October updates.

Edited by txsueh 2009-09-20 12:30 PM
Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-21 5:25 PM (#58436 - in reply to #57835)

Extreme Veteran

I have drafted a 6 Gore Skirt and an Armscye Princess Jacket that I am thinking that I will make out of the Green Silk.  The Jacket should end up looking similar to McCall's 5193 http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5193.htm?search=5193&page=1

I am thinking that I will do a trial run of the patterns using some denim, but I am not sure if it is heavy enough.  The silk is a really stiff fabric.  I am hoping that it will soften up somewhat when I wash it, which won't happen until my washing machine moves into the house from the middle of the garage.

I am going to attempt to attach a scan of the fabric.

(img001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments img001.jpg (23KB - 5 downloads)
Olwynmary
Posted 2009-09-21 9:16 PM (#58442 - in reply to #58436)

If the green silk is a heavy fabric, it is probably silk noil (also known in different parts of the country as raw silk or wild silk). If it is lighter weight, it may be shantung, although if you are going to make a fall suit, noil is more likely. Yes, it will soften up considerably when you wash it. It will also shrink quite a bit, so if I were you I would wash it very gently in warm water, hang it to dry somewhere, then repeat the process.

Make sure you finish every edge before you start to work with it, as it frays out while you look at it. It also will need a fair amount of support if you make a jacket. I like to use it for winter skirts here in the South, but I make sure they are loose fitting and fully lined.

Lime green and navy is a classic colour combo in case you are interested.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
dotmoll
Posted 2009-09-21 9:34 PM (#58445 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

I used to work in a shop that sold silk (along with rice, fireworks, etc.) ...a long time ago. I don't think that's shantung. It looks as if the weft (horizontal) fibers are much fatter, so I think it will be great for a jacket, and will keep its shape nicely but it will not have a lot of sideways give.

Check on a scrap how much pin marks and sewing show when removed...if they do show, sounds like a case for making a muslin. For the muslin, how about using a fairly stable furnishing fabric that you can use as a casual jacket?
dotmoll
Posted 2009-09-21 10:13 PM (#58450 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

Sweatshirt jackets...I have a few menswear sweatshirts that are too tight in the bust (surprise!) but baggy in the arms and waist, so I sliced 'em down the front and added a generous button band. I wear them a lot around home.

My sewing plans for myself are: 4 new fall/winter knit tops. In 2 different styles and coffee-proof colors

My current T drafts are baggy and casual, best for warm weather. The aim is to get a smoother-fitting draft more suited to knits and cool-weather layering.

Challenge - Ole Icebreaker bust needs a bit of visual relief, but V necks are too cold for winter, and most collars are too lumpy under warmer cardigan-jackets.

Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-21 11:25 PM (#58456 - in reply to #58445)

Extreme Veteran

dotmoll - 2009-09-21 7:34 PM I used to work in a shop that sold silk (along with rice, fireworks, etc.) ...a long time ago. I don't think that's shantung. It looks as if the weft (horizontal) fibers are much fatter, so I think it will be great for a jacket, and will keep its shape nicely but it will not have a lot of sideways give. Check on a scrap how much pin marks and sewing show when removed...if they do show, sounds like a case for making a muslin. For the muslin, how about using a fairly stable furnishing fabric that you can use as a casual jacket?

That was exactly what i was looking for to try and describe the weight of the fabric.  It is more like an upholstery fabric in weight.  It does shred terribly.  I serged the non selvedge edges to get it to stop.  It is 39 inches wide selvege to selvege, and the selvege edge is not straight (like the stuff you find in the store)  I think that this piece was hand-woven.  This will definately be a "muslin" first fabric, as I don't think that I could find another one like it.  Oh, and yes, the weft fibers are much fatter than the warp fibers.  The warp fibers are like sewing thread and the weft fibers are like embroidery floss.

Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-21 11:30 PM (#58457 - in reply to #58450)

Extreme Veteran

dotmoll - 2009-09-21 8:13 PM Sweatshirt jackets...I have a few menswear sweatshirts that are too tight in the bust (surprise!) but baggy in the arms and waist, so I sliced 'em down the front and added a generous button band. I wear them a lot around home. My sewing plans for myself are: 4 new fall/winter knit tops. In 2 different styles and coffee-proof colors My current T drafts are baggy and casual, best for warm weather. The aim is to get a smoother-fitting draft more suited to knits and cool-weather layering. Challenge - Ole Icebreaker bust needs a bit of visual relief, but V necks are too cold for winter, and most collars are too lumpy under warmer cardigan-jackets.

You could layer a jewel neck T under the V neck, or just put a jewel neck insert under the V neck.

Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2009-09-26 6:59 AM (#58591 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

Re the V neck issue - I saw a warm top in a Stitches magazine that had a detachable cowl collar.  The top was some thick knit fabric with a V neck.  The collar was simply a tube of fabric that was pulled over the head - however the tube went from narrow to wide.  The wider part sat folded or draped over the narrower part.  I considered making one in a chiffon of the same colour as the knit, mainly to reduce the bulk around the neck but I never got as far as trialling the idea.
dotmoll
Posted 2009-09-26 11:48 AM (#58598 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

Insert - good idea! I'd for some reason been stuck on the idea of an overlay with vertical lines and was thinking it might be too fussy.

That cowl-neck "extra" sounds like a suitable solution for the de"cowl"letage area. I might put a sketch up later to confirm that I have got the right idea!
purplebouquet
Posted 2009-10-07 2:46 PM (#58808 - in reply to #57835)

Extreme Veteran

A couple of sewing contests on patternreview.com have motivated me to design and sew a wool jacket with a lining, which is almost complete. The lining has been giving me trouble, so I've missed the deadline. But I hope to finish it this weekend. Then I want to participate in the Little Black Dress contest, plus sew a pair of pants for my 11-year-old daughter, and make a long-sleeved white shirt for me as well as some PJs. I also need to hem the costume for my chorus director.

What I am really tempted to do is make a winter coat!

Claudia
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2009-10-23 2:59 PM (#59078 - in reply to #57835)

Administrator

Hi All,

I am onto my next project finally! I have to speak at a conference of fashion design professors next week in Seattle so I am need something a bit more upscale. I am doing a slight variation of my princess panel t-shirt. I flared it and made it a bit longer. I also created a "grecian" style neckline by choosing the square neck and using the neck shape tool moved it close to the center front. I am pairing it with a knit pant, boot cut, with the faced/elastic waist. The blouse fabric is a "pleated" polyester. Since it is already wrinkled, it is a great choice for travel. The pants are an 80/20 interlock knit - also great for travel. Will post pics when I finish it.

(FlaredPrincess Panel.png)

(FlaredPrincessPatterns.png)

(BootCutPants.png)

(fabrics 001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FlaredPrincess Panel.png (2KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments FlaredPrincessPatterns.png (4KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments BootCutPants.png (3KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments fabrics 001.jpg (205KB - 6 downloads)
julie w
Posted 2009-10-23 6:47 PM (#59084 - in reply to #57835)

Extreme Veteran

I love that fabric Lisa, looking forward to seeing pictures.
sewsally
Posted 2009-10-23 8:25 PM (#59085 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

Lisa -- where are you speaking in Seattle? My sewing teacher is Jacque Goldsmith from Lake WA Tech College, Seattle Central Comm. College and Nancy's Sewing Basket. I think she would be interested. I am too.
I signed up to see Paul at Quality Sewing on Oct 31.

Sally
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2009-10-23 8:35 PM (#59087 - in reply to #59085)

Administrator

sewsally - 2009-10-23 8:25 PM

Lisa -- where are you speaking in Seattle? My sewing teacher is Jacque Goldsmith from Lake WA Tech College, Seattle Central Comm. College and Nancy's Sewing Basket. I think she would be interested. I am too.
I signed up to see Paul at Quality Sewing on Oct 31.

Sally

Hi Sally,

I will be at the International Textile and Apparel Association conference. Unfortunately, it is not open to the public. It is only open to professors in college and university texile and apparel programs. Your teacher would certainly qualify but she would have to join the association to attend the conference, if that is of interest to her.
Fashions by Joellyn
Posted 2009-10-23 8:49 PM (#59088 - in reply to #59087)

I love that crinkle fabric, too! I have some left over from another project, so will be interested to see how your top turns out, as I was just thinking the other day about what to do with mine.
gallinio
Posted 2010-08-22 7:29 AM (#64806 - in reply to #57835)

Regular

I have a very bad habit of starting garments and then leaving them to start something new when I have stitched them up.
I decided to be honest with myself and realised that the truth is; I am not good at the finishing of garments.
I have over twenty unfinished garments in boxes in my sewing room. All of them started this year.Most of them just need the facings sewing in or straps or hems.
I have made a list of all of the items and I am going to finish them all as a challenge to myself.
starting today, I completed three garments.
If I finish them all I will have a lovely wardrobe and something to add to the album!
I absolutely love pattern drafting and cutting and then I lose interest in the sewing. Unfortunately I was never taught to sew and I am trying to work things out myself, hence the finishes usually look homemade.
Does anybody know of a good video on finishing necklines and armholes and maybe the application of closures.
I have a couple of good books but a dvd would be nice! I have seenn the threads DVD advertised? any good for what I need?
It s going to be so difficult to NOT start anything new but I am going to try really hard!
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2010-08-22 10:12 AM (#64813 - in reply to #64806)

Extreme Veteran

I'm afraid I don't have one source with all the info you're looking for. I'm just writing to encourage your efforts to get better at finishings, etc. I think it will really pay off in the long run. You can add new techniques as you go...once you start something new

Do you have a serger? Except for knits, I serge almost all edges before I start putting the pieces together--not trimming them. I don't serge any edges that will be enclosed or trimmed later. I don't know about the Threads library of dvds, but I would think they might have something that you're looking for.

Good luck & stick with it! Marilyn--who just reread your post.... OK, I thought you were looking for things like edge finishes, etc. So...actually I kind of have the same habit. I have a little pile (not as big as yours) of things which got to an almost finished point and I decided I wasn't thrilled with them so didn't finish them. Sometimes I come back later, try them on and realize they will be ok after all so I finish them. Occasionally, I just chuck it or cut up for rags.

As to facings, I'm not sure what is left for you to do once they are sewn in. If it is just a matter of tacking them down to seam allowances, I tack them by machine by 'stitch in the ditch' (from the right side) about 2 or 3 small stitches forwards and backwards. I try to eliminate facings where I can by using a bias binding--illustrations in any sewing manual. Hems, after serging the edge, I usually sew by machine using the blindhem stitch. On a difficult or very expensive garment I hand hem. I try to save all the hand finishing to do at one time--usually at night in front of the T.V. I don't really like hand sewing but find it is a necessary evil, which in the end gives me the finished garment I want.

Grit your teeth and just finish all of your work------and then post some photos!

Edited by Marilyn R in IL 2010-08-22 10:27 AM
dotmoll
Posted 2010-08-22 10:38 AM (#64817 - in reply to #57835)

Elite Veteran

Wow, do I hear you on this one! I have NEVER felt like a good sewer, and really have to bite the bullet to finish the waistbands on pants or buttonholes on shirts, and the horrible sight of my waistbands prevents me from posting pictures in the albums! I have at least 2 pairs of pants that I really want to wear...I just don't want to sew the waistbands!

I bought Betzina's Power Sewing and found that useful, but really, something even more basic would be good too.

I find that I make more casual clothing than I really want, just because I'm afraid of sewing "where it shows" on sheer fabrics or tailored items. That scares me a lot more than fitting, actually.

Right now, I'm about to start on some more jinbei pajamas for my sister, and help son2 sew himself a vest.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2010-08-22 11:17 AM (#64820 - in reply to #64813)

Marilyn R in IL - 2010-08-23 6:12 AM

I have a little pile (not as big as yours) of things which got to an almost finished point and I decided I wasn't thrilled with them so didn't finish them. Sometimes I come back later, try them on and realize they will be ok after all so I finish them. Occasionally, I just chuck it or cut up for rags.

I thought I was the only one with this problem. If I can't sew something within a few days, I get tired of it and often start something new. Usually it's things that gave me problems at some point or are not looking as expected. When my sewing room gets too cluttered, I sort through them and toss out a few. This seems so wastefull. I'm trying to improve, but I don't sew as quickly and easily as I did when much youger.

Edited by JoAnndjob 2010-08-22 11:19 AM
vickys
Posted 2010-08-22 12:13 PM (#64823 - in reply to #57835)

Veteran

I, too, love the patternmaking part, the layout and cutting. I, too, feel my sewing skills need improvement and therefore am sometimes hesitant about wearing items in public that aren't quite up to my standards. After years of UFO's due to whatever problem I hit along the way, I stopped working on more than one item at a time and unless it's a total failure (thankfully doesn't happen all that often) i force myself to finish it before I move on to the next. One garment at a time makes for slow going but it's the only way I've found (for myself) to alleviate the problem of UFO's.

If it's any consolation, the more you sew the better you get - so finishing those UFO's will give you the practice you need for the next and the next, etc.

Vicky S who feels like a kindred spirit
cfonfold
Posted 2010-08-22 12:19 PM (#64825 - in reply to #64806)

Expert

I really like Rowena's solution to this delimma--and it happens to every one. Maybe more so to the "puzzle solvers" in the group. Of which I am surely the charter member! And Eva you must be tied with me for first place!

She gathers everything up----- and finishes them-- and then donates them to a women's resource center. How good is that for all comcerned.

Coopie

Puzzle solver? I like the challange and craft---but not always the sewing!

C

gallinio
Posted 2010-08-22 1:18 PM (#64831 - in reply to #57835)

Regular

Yes I have a serger, took it out of the cupboard two weeks ago for the first time since I bought it 4 years ago and I dont even know how to thread it. got somebody to thread it up fo me but as soon as the thread broke the first time, I gave up!

I am loving all the facings on new garments, using Coopie's method for the all in one facing, it is the older stuff I gotta sort out now. I have looked at a few videos on you tube on blindstitch hem and I havent got it right yet but I am getting there.
I sure am going to try to finish them all. A challenge is a challenge! My hubby will have to take me on a cruise to wear them as most of them are dressy!
ooohhh I agree I absolutely hate waistbands, that is where I do facings!
Brilliant idea to finish them and give them to someone who will appreciate them. that is a good motivator so I cannot say I wont finish it because I will never wear it.
My newer stuff must be improving because my two daughters 23 and 26 are asking me to sew them clothes whereas at first they thought I was daft wearing homemade clothes.

forgot to mention I have Betzina book, armstrong book and a very good one which I highly recommend on finishes, the pictures are very good. I found it in Malta and even though it was heavy I bought it and carried it in my hand luggage. It is called the sewing book by ALISON SMITH.
DK must be the publishers.

Edited by gallinio 2010-08-22 1:26 PM
Mariette Rose
Posted 2010-08-22 2:09 PM (#64836 - in reply to #64831)

For those of you who want GOOD and basic sewing knowledge--The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction by Edna Bryte Bishop with Marjorie Stotler Arch. It is out of print but easily available on-line. I have purchased several for $5. The shipping gets you, though. I have given many of these to sewing friends. I even bought a second one for myself, saving my first one autographed by sewing great Marie Kehr to keep in my library, and using the other for every day references. Taping the waistline to be sure it will fit is in the book for those of you who don't like to deal with waistbands. The book has taping a waistand and once you have that technique down (very, very easy) you can put on any waistband you need. I find the book invaluable. If you are using PMB and need more instruction, you will find it in this book. That's my
Mariette Rose
Posted 2010-08-22 2:20 PM (#64838 - in reply to #64831)

RE your serger-=--

When learning to thread your serger, thread each part in a different color. And remember the loopers-----it's the upper looper you thread first. You may think you want to work right to left but you dont. You thread the upper looper first, then the lower looper, then the left needle thread, then the right needle thread, if using two needles. Not knowing which type of serger you have, this is basic instruction. If you want to serge your edges but don't want to cut the fabric, as in serging before you put the garment together and good at it, disengage your knife blade. Most sergers now have any easy way to do this.

Don't let the serger intimidate you! It's a wonderful tool. USE IT!!!!!!!! Practice threading and the rest is cake. Learn to look at which setting you need by making a sample first. Your manual should have pictures of poorly sewn area and have the correction for it.

There are a lot of good books on serging out there. One I have is Serger Secrets by Rodale Press. It has good pictures and tips from sewing greats; information on using various feet; information on using the serger to sew the garment. There is adding lace, puffing, gathering, etc. Go online and view some books and make your choice. I just happen to like this one.

Good luck
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.