Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky New Year Resolution - Backup!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer-Ease -> Back it UpMessage format

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2009-01-01 10:24 AM (#50863)
Subject: New Year Resolution - Backup!

Tech Support

Please make a Resolution to keep a good backup of your programs.

Here is info on doing this.  I have also attached this info as a text file.

There is a place for you to enter your license ID and password need if you have to install again.  You can print it or save in your Pattern Master folder and back it up with your other info, so you have it.

One option is Online Backup.  I use Carbonite.  There are other services - some are free or low cost.  For the cost of one "Super Latte" a month, you can backup all your files and pictures.  Do a search for Online Backup to see other options.

Backing up Pattern Master

You can download this information as a text file, enter your info and save in your Pattern Master folder.

It will be available if you backup your full program.

The easy thing is to copy the full Pattern Master folder to a CD.

You will need to install again from your program CD or Download but you will have all your data. 

You will need this info to install again.

Product Key:  License # - Password

Print a copy of the email you receive with the Product Key even if you have ordered a backup CD.  CD's not longer have serial numbers.  They are just backup copies of the download.

When you unlock your program if you receive a "no key" or other error, write to support@wildginger.com
Include your name and license ID in the email.

You may also save your download setup file to CD.  This is the file you downloaded to install the program.

To Backup put a CD in your writable CD drive.

Select the full Pattern Master folder to copy.

Here is the information in your Pattern Master folder.

Charts - When you open a chart and click print the program saves the chart as a text file.

Databases - The important file for V4 programs is PMXCharts. It has your charts, defaults and style catalog.
The other files install with your program.  The database name for Boutique 5 is PMxCharts.  The V6 Database is PMx6Charts.sdf

Patterns - Save your patterns in this folder.  Boutique 5 does this automatically.  V4 programs must be directed there.

If your computer does not have a writable CD drive, buy a flash drive for your Pattern Master Backup.  I've seen some cute sewing related ones.

Backing up the database only.

To back up your database go to System Tools - Backup.  You may direct the backup to any folder.
This will backup your charts, defaults and style catalog.  You should keep a copy on CD or external drive.
If you save to My Documents or your Pattern Master folder and your HD fails it is GONE.

If you don't want to bother to backup your data look into getting an auto back for your computer.
They are not expensive.  Carbonite is $60 a year and does it in real time.  If you lose your HD you can download it to a new HD or new computer.  There are other companies that also offer this.

I have Carbonite set to backup the full Pattern Master folder.

Updated May 2016

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Backup info.txt (2KB - 4 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2009-03-27 8:54 AM (#53446 - in reply to #50863)
Subject: RE: New Year Resolution - Backup!

Tech Support

Just a reminder.  If you lose your information we have no way of getting it back for you.

BUT - if you have your information saved to a CD, flash drive, we can help you get your database and patterns back into your program.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2009-04-19 11:47 AM (#54335 - in reply to #50863)

Tech Support

Just a note - when you have to write to us for help unlocking your program I get soooo many notes explaining the license ID is not unlocking BUT they don't tell me what the license ID is.

We can search for it, but it's much faster if you give us the number in your email.

Every morning I go though my email.  If it's something I can answer without looking up any info I do it.  If I have your license ID, I can click to the unlock server and take care of it right away.

Email that needs me to check for more info, goes into the lineup for the day.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2009-05-03 6:41 PM (#54836 - in reply to #50863)

Tech Support

Mozy and Carbonite both keep files deleted on you computer for 30 days.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2009-12-27 8:49 AM (#60237 - in reply to #50863)

Tech Support

Just a reminder.

Every week we get help requests from someone who has had a crash and lost all their info.

There are easy ways to backup.

CD - they are really cheap

Removable back up drive - about $100

Carbonite - $60 a year

Mozey - 2GB free - also a for pay service

If you are not sure what to backup just copy your full Pattern Master folder.  You will need to install again from the setup file, but you will be able to copy your database and saved patterns.

Some think that because they have to do an Internet unlock for the program that they are in some way connected to that server.  It justs unlocks the program.  Once you have done that your program is not connected to the Internet.  It is just on your computer.
StMike
Posted 2016-05-21 9:35 PM (#91212 - in reply to #50863)
Subject: Re: New Year Resolution - Backup!

Extreme Veteran

I just bought a Western Digital external hard drive with a 1 terabyte capacity for $60 at Best Buy. I am set up for automatic backups weekly. You could also set it up for daily or hourly backups if you prefer.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-12-29 2:12 PM (#91741 - in reply to #50863)

Tech Support

The New Year is almost here and time to remind you about making a Backup.

Eve Nguyen
Posted 2017-01-26 9:17 PM (#91797 - in reply to #50863)

New User

I have started Cloud Backup. As you know it backs up the data on routine and you dont even have to worry about data loss too.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2017-05-15 8:49 AM (#92038 - in reply to #50863)

Tech Support

With the news this weekend of a cyber attack it's time to mention "Back it Up"

Also, always keep your Windows system up to date.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.