Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The New Book
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Digital Flat Pattern - PublicMessage format

Leighanna
Posted 2008-12-23 5:39 PM (#50658)
Subject: The New Book

Extreme Veteran

Is there a way to track shipping on the new book. I just ordered it and can't wait to get it. I have a little down time and am like a kid waiting for her decoder ring.

Thanks

Leighanna
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Leighanna
Posted 2008-12-24 2:43 PM (#50687 - in reply to #50658)
Subject: RE: The New Book

Extreme Veteran

OK, how wonderful are you guys. The book just arrived. It look promising. I was pleased to see that it is in the same format/style that my favorite textbooks are written.

Do I need a password or something like I did with the actual programs?

Thanks

Leighanna
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2008-12-24 3:29 PM (#50689 - in reply to #50658)

Tech Support

You can do the work in Pattern Editor or you can use the practice CAD that somes with the book.  The CAD with the book does not print patterns.  It is just a study tool.

You will register and get a license ID.

Leighanna
Posted 2008-12-26 11:44 AM (#50701 - in reply to #50658)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks. It's now registered. I got a chance to thumb thru it and I recommend it to all newbies. I love the fact the I can look up what I need and it gives me step by step details for using the tools. I believe that the users that don't have much pattern making skills should have this as a source book along with any and all the other books that have been talked about in the forums.

I haven't had a chance to play with any of it yet, but I am a fan.

Thanks WG.

Leighanna
rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-26 7:54 PM (#50718 - in reply to #50701)

thank you, leighanna, lisa and i started on the book three years ago, and seeing it in real life was just amazing, to me at least.

vickys
Posted 2008-12-27 10:07 AM (#50729 - in reply to #50658)

Veteran

I am interested in getting the book but as I read through the information on the website, I don't see it being a whole lot more information than the classes (all of them so far) I took with Karen combined with the Help in PMB. What advantages are there to the book versus the classes/Help that I have available to me already? I don't want to invest in the book if I already have all the information available to me.

Thanks.

Vicky S
rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-27 10:55 AM (#50730 - in reply to #50729)

vicky, the book is much different from karen's classes. karen teaches you how to use the WG programs to make patterns, starting from a base pattern or design.  the book teaches how to make patterns from scratch, using a CAD engine/pattern editor.  similar to the armstrong book, but for the computer. 

it certainly isn't for everyone.  we expect it to become the standard college textbook for computerized flat pattern making instruction for fashion design and costuming students.  if you are satisfied with your patterns now, or don't have the need or desire to create original patterns from scratch, then the book might not be of interest to you.  if you want to learn how making patterns by computer is different from making them on paper, then there might be some value, esp. if you have armstrong's book or some other flat pattern book to compare methods.

we will probably do another edition in the future, there are already styles and designs lisa and i both want to add.  the material in the current edition is what we cover in the beginner and advanced courses at fashion design online. 

cfonfold
Posted 2008-12-27 11:59 AM (#50731 - in reply to #50730)

Expert

Excellent job ladies! I'll be using this as reference this semester. Unfortunately, it's too late to require it as a text for the spring semester, and I am not sure if I will be teaching next year. There is talk of asking me back just to teach these courses--so we will see.

the book is much different from karen's classes. karen teaches you how to use the WG programs to make patterns, starting from a base pattern or design.  the book teaches how to make patterns from scratch, using a CAD engine/pattern editor.  similar to the armstrong book, but for the computer. 

A quick perusal does not indicate the actual drafting of the slopers. I assume they are included as pre-drafted samples. (Just got the software yesterday and have not had time to take a look).

It is great fun to recognize the the work from Fashion Design  On-line!

In answer to Vicky's question-- I think I took all the classes--and although I had worked most of it out by my self over the years, there was always something new, and having the information well organized  and all in one place is worth it's weight in gold!

I won't give up teaching from my other books--but this looks like it could easily be a stand alone text. The price is certainly consistant with the market. Really a bargin since there are no--that I know of--texts that present this material.

I am very ! Again ladies---well done!

Coopie

rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-27 1:37 PM (#50734 - in reply to #50731)

cfonfold - 2008-12-27 9:59 AM

Excellent job ladies! 

thank you, coopie!  coming from you that means a great deal.

A quick perusal does not indicate the actual drafting of the slopers. I assume they are included as pre-drafted samples. (Just got the software yesterday and have not had time to take a look).

that is correct, the CD includes pre-drafted slopers, much like other patterning books include 1/4 scale slopers for practice.

Karen Maslowski
Posted 2008-12-28 10:56 AM (#50768 - in reply to #50718)

There is nothing quite like holding your first book in your hands, is there? Congratulations to you and Lisa! I can't wait to see it.

I see this new project as being very useful for users of the software, and send my best wishes for big success with it.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2008-12-28 2:04 PM (#50775 - in reply to #50730)

Extreme Veteran

rowena___. - 2008-12-27 6:55 AM

vicky, the book is much different from karen's classes. karen teaches you how to use the WG programs to make patterns, starting from a base pattern or design.  the book teaches how to make patterns from scratch, using a CAD engine/pattern editor.  similar to the armstrong book, but for the computer. 

Ah, I was also wondering about this. IF I did not already have the Armstrong book , this might have been very interesting to me.< On the other hand, I admit I did not have experiance or a strong interest in actually drafting things UNTIL I got the full PMB software and found then how cool PE is.
It does sound like an awesome textbook and hope that happens for you.  

rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-28 3:07 PM (#50777 - in reply to #50775)

easilyamewsed, the process for making patterns in CAD is way different from that on paper.  for example, you do not always slash and spread a computer pattern, you most often rotate or offset instead--you can't swing a ruler in CAD the way you can on paper, so you can't make slopes or angles the way you do it on paper.  you have to use totally different operations.  so if you plan to do your pattern adjustments in CAD, it would be wise to consider the book as you will save yourself tremendous effort by not trying to duplicate procedures that simply can't be done or that can be done much more efficiently another way.

Susan in Miami
Posted 2008-12-28 4:03 PM (#50778 - in reply to #50730)

Expert

Hi Rowena,

I was wondering about another addition of the book in the future since I took every one of the beginner & advanced Fashion Design Online classes and, therefore, have the documentation in paper & video format. I would love to also have a book with "more/different stuff". I can wait for the "future".

For everyone interested in the book, I know a lot of work has gone into this project and it is amazing. I also loved taking the classes with Lisa and Rowena. I give them the credit for what I know about PE and CAD along with Karen's classes. Each of those classes was also a big help in my journey toward PE independence.

Susan  

Edited by Susan in Miami 2008-12-28 4:06 PM

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2008-12-28 4:37 PM (#50779 - in reply to #50777)

Extreme Veteran

rowena___. - 2008-12-28 11:07 AM

easilyamewsed, the process for making patterns in CAD is way different from that on paper.  for example, you do not always slash and spread a computer pattern, you most often rotate or offset instead--you can't swing a ruler in CAD the way you can on paper, so you can't make slopes or angles the way you do it on paper. 

This is true..found out when making DD's 6 gore skirt. The second try using rotation to create a flare came out awesome.

Yeah, if I did this as a business instead of hobby/desparation it would be a necessity. The other thing I kinda wish is that there was an option to buy the book alone for a lower price without the CAD part. Since I own PMB4 which has PE, the CAD seems redundant. < I know this sounds stupid, but would be part of my consideration as a buyer. Apologies if my ignorance is annoying.

rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-28 6:20 PM (#50781 - in reply to #50779)

no buyer consideration is stupid!  we all have to make more difficult buying decisions these days.  if it makes any difference, the CAD that comes with the book has a few more tools than the one in the program, and the CD also has all the movies demonstrating how to make the patterns in the book.  so you have not only the text but also a video to follow as well.

ursulab
Posted 2008-12-28 7:11 PM (#50782 - in reply to #50781)

To take advantage from this book would you not have to buy the working CAD Program; $ 750.00 EACH too?
The book cost $ 95.00.
(The CAD with the book does not print patterns)
So it is not a book for the average sewer, who likes to play with PE.

rowena___. - 2008-12-28 5:20 PM

...  if it makes any difference, the CAD that comes with the book has a few more tools than the one in the program,

rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-28 7:32 PM (#50784 - in reply to #50782)

no, you can use everything you learn in the book in the WG programs as is, but as i mentioned before we really anticipate that it will be a college textbook, for students who intend to go into the fashion or costume industries.  we believe that it will be of value to any WG user who wants to learn how to make patterns that are not in the WG library, or who simply have an interest in becoming expert at CAD.

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2008-12-28 9:14 PM (#50787 - in reply to #50781)

Extreme Veteran

rowena___. - 2008-12-28 2:20 PM

no buyer consideration is stupid!  we all have to make more difficult buying decisions these days.  if it makes any difference, the CAD that comes with the book has a few more tools than the one in the program, and the CD also has all the movies demonstrating how to make the patterns in the book.  so you have not only the text but also a video to follow as well.

Oho! Well, if the CAD version with the book is different that makes some difference. Okay, next...is it possible for PMBs PE to read the files made by the books' CAD? Are they in the same format ( .las)  or what? Will the tool 'extras' not translate? The other nitpik is what Ursula mentions that you can't print from the books CAD..but if import is possible then there's some sauce.

Beverly A.
Posted 2008-12-28 10:29 PM (#50790 - in reply to #50658)

Elite Veteran

How close (or far) is the CAD instruction from Dr. Phyllis Bell Miller's "AutoCAD for the Apparel Industry"? I took a class from her at Mississippi State a few years back when we used autoCAD R11. Her book shows how to use CAD to make patterns. I never did get a decent pattern using just plain autoCAD. She wrote her own program using autoCad but it was very expensive-somewhere in the $900 range if memory serves.
I have always thought there were some CAD commands missing from PMB that would be useful.
As I am definitely not an early adopter, I'll sit back and read and absorb the comments by those who buy and use the book. I do wish you success in your endeavor.
Beverly A.
cfonfold
Posted 2008-12-28 11:30 PM (#50791 - in reply to #50790)

Expert

Way back at the beginning, while teaching myself to draft in cad I used Miller's book as a jumping off point. Since I did not use AutoCad and had no access to it at school it was difficult. But with very careful study usable. It was also all there was. It was pretty dry and dealt with the drafting process, with a discussion of how the tools could be used for flat pattern work. There was not an in depth series of illustrations and techniques.

Remember-- I already drafted--just not in cad. It did not take long to learn to type in co-ordinates though it was always a bit clumsey. For me. Learning how the tools were used was the most useful part. Working with the cad program I had at my fingertips (Symmetry) and using Miller's book as reference along with the Symmetry guide, taught me the basis of what I now know. And I practiced a lot. A whole lot. It was the way I spent my free time for several months.

I do a great deal of paper and pen style drafting. I just use the computer. All of our men's wear except pants are hand drafted. It is not as difficult as it might seem. Tailormade does pants as well as I can. Sometines better I think. But not dress wear. Not in my experience. Sack coats, tuxes, tails, period coats, military wear are all better shapes and fits when hand drafted. A personal opinion.

AutoCad is --I am sure--a great software. But complicated and hard to move around in. Or was then. It's probably better now. Lisa has taken all the anguish out of the flat pattern process. Really and truely. Her tools are simple and very elegant.

I am somewhat disappointed that there is not a section on actually drafting your own slopers, but that is really a hard core Luddite at work here!  You learn a great deal about how all those lines and angles work together when you study that. And I will continue to teach it as background.  But with PMB the slopers are so good that paper and pen drafting could become a lost art.

Miller is still available and still I believe in it's first printing. I did a search for it several weeks ago for a student. However this new book is a milestone in my opinion. And long awaited.

Coopie

rowena___.
Posted 2008-12-29 8:16 AM (#50794 - in reply to #50791)

i have not worked with the book you are talking about, beverly, i have seen it on ebay but never bought it.  i do believe that autoCAD is not the best tool to use for patternmaking simply because it was never intended for that purpose so it doesn't have the tools or the actions available in it that patternmakers use. 

coopie, lisa and i have discussed teaching slopers and including them in the book, but lisa does her slopers in code and not by drafting, so the translation is not direct.  both of us have experimented with ways to make it doable but it has not been at the top of the list, because our first goal was to introduce the material presented in the FDO classes.  possibly in the next edition, if we can work out some of the problems.

sheilaspeb
Posted 2008-12-29 8:28 AM (#50795 - in reply to #50658)

I am a real newbie to PMB4 and I am interested is designing my own patterns, for myself, of course. This book seems really interesting and my questions is should I invest in this now or should I wait until I learn how to use the software?
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2008-12-29 8:31 AM (#50796 - in reply to #50658)

Tech Support

Wait until you are comfortable using the program.

First you need to master selecting designs in Style Editor.

Pattern Editor is the icing for the cake.

sheilaspeb
Posted 2008-12-29 8:42 AM (#50797 - in reply to #50796)

Karen - Tech Support - 2008-12-29 7:31 AM

Wait until you are comfortable using the program.

First you need to master selecting designs in Style Editor.

Pattern Editor is the icing for the cake.

Thanks
Beverly A.
Posted 2008-12-29 2:22 PM (#50801 - in reply to #50658)

Elite Veteran

Coopie: Talk about hard-core Luddite- I wish I could still use R11. It had the neatest "toolbox" you could drag around to where you were working and it could be customized for your personal use. DH had done a couple of LISP routines for me, too. My book by Miller is autographed by her, done when I took her class. I bought it years ago at Brown Book Shop in Houston. They sell all kinds of technical books. I think I paid $39, a fair sum at that time. I shudder to think what it would cost new today. (not on eBay) Ah, memories

Those of you who are early adopters, let the rest of us know how you like the book and what you are learning that advances your knowlege and ability to make the perfect pattern.
Beverly A.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.