Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to transfer markings to fabric?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Here_Fishey
Posted 2008-01-17 11:47 PM (#38352 - in reply to #38281)
Subject: RE: How to transfer markings to fabric?

Extreme Veteran

For marking darts.  I use a threaded hand sewing needle and poke through the dart point into the fabric through both layers, then I mark the lines with a chalk pencil.  (This may be what is called tailor tacks, i'm not sure, I never took a sewing class, my mom taught me, and her mother taught her)  I have also used the sliver of soap for black or dark fabrics as it shows better and it washes out with a little cold water.  For other pattern markings, I fold back the pattern and the fabric and use a ruler to mark with chalk.  (this would be pocket placement lines, button holes etc)  I mark "ots" with the chalk on the seam line (I use my serger around all of my cut out pattern pieces, so cut out notches seem to "isappear"  I only use the disappearing ink for placement of embroidery, and only right before I get ready to sew it as they tend to disappear too fast for me otherwise.  I do actually have the tracing wheel and the paper, I just have been too chicken to use it as I have been afraid that it will not come out of the fabric when I am done with it.

A self-healing mat is used with a rotary cutter and a ruler for cutting out quilt pieces.  It "can" be used to cut out curved pieces, but you would have to be very careful with it as it is so easy to slip with a rotary cutter, and without a ruler, you don't have anything there to stop you from slicing the whole pattern piece in half!!!!  (Just ask me how I know, I dare you!! LOL)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2008-01-18 12:29 AM (#38362 - in reply to #38345)

Geneave, the best way to determine fiber content is to burn a bit of it, and then observe what happens to it. Here's a website that has some good information on how to do this:

http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

And this is a very useful chart:

http://www.lindrix.com/fabcontent.html

You can also soak a little of the fabric in bleach; if there is any wool content it will dissolve. Then wash what is left, and do the burn test after it's dry. If the fabric is silk, it will turn brittle. If the fabric is nylon, it will yellow from the bleach, and if it's cotton, any color should wash out, so this is useful as a test, as well.
Geneave
Posted 2008-01-18 1:42 AM (#38365 - in reply to #38362)

Karen Maslowski - 2008-01-17 10:29 PM

Geneave, the best way to determine fiber content is to burn a bit of it, and then observe what happens to it. Here's a website that has some good information on how to do this:

http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

And this is a very useful chart:

http://www.lindrix.com/fabcontent.html

You can also soak a little of the fabric in bleach; if there is any wool content it will dissolve. Then wash what is left, and do the burn test after it's dry. If the fabric is silk, it will turn brittle. If the fabric is nylon, it will yellow from the bleach, and if it's cotton, any color should wash out, so this is useful as a test, as well.

I appreciate the websites so much. Thank you. I will have to get someone else to help me because of the fumes.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2008-01-18 10:59 AM (#38382 - in reply to #38365)

You won't need much bleach, just enough to soak a square of fabric about 1" X 2". That's about the size you'll want to use for the burn test, as well. But be sure to do either of these tests out of doors, or in a well-ventilated area.
rowena___.
Posted 2008-01-18 11:19 AM (#38387 - in reply to #38352)

Here_Fishey - 2008-01-17 9:47 PMA self-healing mat is used with a rotary cutter and a ruler for cutting out quilt pieces.  It "can" be used to cut out curved pieces, but you would have to be very careful with it as it is so easy to slip with a rotary cutter, and without a ruler, you don't have anything there to stop you from slicing the whole pattern piece in half!!!!  (Just ask me how I know, I dare you!! LOL)

but if you use the right rotary cutters, and get some practice, you can cut out everything with them. i NEVER cut with scissors, i quit using them about 12 years ago.

use the biggest ones for thick fabric or for long straight lines. use the smaller ones for curves, the tighter the curve the smaller the cutter. use the half round for cutting into corners, and use the straight blade for marking.

i can cut a dress in about 10 minutes using rotary cutters. it takes almost 25 minutes for me to cut with scissors, and my cutting will not be as clean.

rebells
Posted 2008-01-18 12:09 PM (#38394 - in reply to #38281)

Extreme Veteran

Where do you find the half round cutter?  Is the straight blade an exacto knife?
rowena___.
Posted 2008-01-18 12:48 PM (#38397 - in reply to #38394)

in nashville joanns and michaels, the half round is in the same section as the other rotary blades. the straight blade in my shop is a straight razor blade, the kind commonly used to slit your wrists with. :D we make sure to keep the straight blades and the vodka in separate lockups.

actually, i learned to rip out seams using a straight razor and to this day i am faster that way than with a seam ripper. but now i use the rotary cutter to rip instead of the straight blade.

rebells
Posted 2008-01-18 1:29 PM (#38407 - in reply to #38281)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you.  Since being stricken with arthritis, I use rotary cutters almost exclusively.  The only things I use scissors for are for snip marking at the edges and for stray threads.  Now it looks like I will not have to use them for marking either.
SueC56
Posted 2010-03-21 9:47 AM (#61755 - in reply to #38387)

Extreme Veteran

That's it, I'm convinced. I need to get rotary cutters soon. I'm been dissatisfied with the edges I get cutting with large sharp shears.

(Old thread, but still useful)

Thanks

Sue C
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.