Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When is it appropriate to make a new sloper?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Sewing for Weight LossMessage format

Susan in Saint John
Posted 2006-05-28 9:55 AM (#17618)
Subject: When is it appropriate to make a new sloper?

I was just wondering if we could have in one place on this forum a spot where you could find recommendations about how to adjust your measurements and when to do a new sloper while you are losing (or gaining) weight.

The information I'm looking for is

1. for how many pounds can you just change the circumference measurements (and crotch length)?
  2. at what point do you need to do a complete set of measurements?

Thanks

Susan in Saint John, NB

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2006-05-28 10:30 AM (#17619 - in reply to #17618)
Subject: RE: When is it appropriate to make a new sloper?

Tech Support

I would check circumferences, including neck every 10 lbs.

Also, check the crotch length and adjust the depth as loss in the tummy area will affect this measurement.

BSW will change but I would not expect much with just 10 lbs, but 30 lbs can reduce it 1/2 - 1 inch.

Welmoed
Posted 2006-05-28 11:37 AM (#17621 - in reply to #17618)

Elite Veteran

My rule of thumb is to check circumferences every 10 lbs and retake all measurements every 25 lbs.

--Welmoed
rowena___.
Posted 2006-05-28 12:02 PM (#17623 - in reply to #17618)

i think it is a more subtle choice than just a number of pounds.

for adults i take a full set anytime he/she changes more than 10%. for children, i take a full set every month.
Kate XXXXXX
Posted 2006-06-16 3:06 PM (#18362 - in reply to #17618)

Having lost 63lbs to date, I have to say that this topic interests me mightily! I still have about 7lbs to go to reach my goal weight, and am on the cusp of a whole new size (again!). It's quite exciting...

What I did all the way down was measure every month: sometimes there was a change and sometimes there wasn't! I made my adjustments according to the inches lost. I lost my weight very slowly, and what worked for me might not for other folk.

For kids and growing it's difficult. Tha wretched things do NOT grow steadily! they grow in fits and starts and not all in the same place! One month it'll be the feet that grow, another the back and legs, and another they'll broaden out to match. I think the only thing to do it a new set of measurements for each garment! Oh, and be sure to sew them up quickly! For child bridesmaids I tend to measure and make as close to the deadline as possible, and cut with a possible growth spurt in mind.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2006-09-22 4:45 PM (#22283 - in reply to #17618)

Regular

I have lost just over thirty pounds since the end of March (medical motivation).

I had blood drawn for lab work last week, but haven't heard the results yet. Looking at the weight range for my height and BMI - I have around another thirty pounds to go before I am "done".

My mother will be in town next week - I wonder if I can get her to help me take a "useable" set for now? I have cleaned out a number of clothes from the closet..........I hate to do a lot of sewing...........but I really don't find a lot of things that will work for *me* in stores.

Either I'm too picky about my definition of "fit"..............ah, heck. After sewing for myself and using pattern drafting software - I am just too EDUCATED about what fit is supposed to look like!

(Shades of the series of salsa commercials about salsa made in Texas, where they know what it is supposed to taste like!)

Susan in Saint John
Posted 2006-09-22 8:01 PM (#22292 - in reply to #22283)

Why not?  But I wouldn't be overly concerned about perfection until your weight stabilizes. 

Then, make a few coordinated things (think SWAP*) that will last you while you drop the rest of the weight.  I've lost about 30 pounds too and I'm finding that I am able to buy some OK things in ready to wear.  They don't fit as well as custom made but I'm not planning on wearing them for a long time either.  I've found that I've dropped more inches on the bottom than on the top.  I've been making one seam pants (Louise Cutting's pattern) mostly because I can get a reasonable fit with just a hip and a crotch length measurement. Louise says that the style is good for up to 25 pounds.  I've also made up a couple of the Sewing Workshop patterns because they are stylish and not too closely fitted.

SWAP or sewing with a plan comes from the Australian Stitches magazine.  You make 1 jacket that goes with everything, 4 bottoms (skirts and/or pants) and 6 tops which go with all the bottoms.  For example you might pick a multicolour tweed for the jacket and then pull the rest of your colours from that or you might pick a print to make a skirt and blouse (2 piece dress).  The jacket doesn't have to be tailored.  It could be a cardigan, a barn jacket, a jeans jacket.  There has been discussion about chosing designs that allow you to take them in--like using princess seams, while you're losing weight.  Whether that works for you depends on how picky you are about fit and how much you like doing alterations.  I'm opting for less perfection and fewer alterations myself.

I need to think about a winter SWAP for myself as it's getting colder and like you I'm still working on dropping another 30 pounds.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2011-09-19 10:49 AM (#77940 - in reply to #17618)

Tech Support

I brought up this old post.  In the last 6 months I have lost a bit over 10% of my weight. (7 inches).

Pants were the biggest issue as the weather is getting cooler. 

Measurement changes:  Waist - 3 inches, Hip 2 inches, Crotch length .75

I did a new fitting pants with defaults settings.

Only change was S Drop from 0 to .25

B Drop stayed at 0 and F Drop stayed at .5

DH asked why I couldn't just take in the old pants on the side.

Why can't I just take in the old pants?

Beth in Wichita
Posted 2011-09-19 2:39 PM (#77942 - in reply to #77940)

Elite Veteran

You can't take them in on the sides because it would throw off the crease.  On a skirt you could take it in at CF, CB & sides. You can't do that on pants because you have a crotch seam instead of CF & CB.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2011-09-19 2:52 PM (#77943 - in reply to #17618)

Tech Support

Not the crease -

margie2
Posted 2011-09-19 4:12 PM (#77945 - in reply to #77940)

Elite Veteran

Karen - Tech Support - 2011-09-19 7:49 AM
Why can't I just take in the old pants?

The crotch ends up way too long when your circumference changes. I know from experience that the pants get really uncomfortable.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2011-09-19 4:44 PM (#77946 - in reply to #17618)

Tech Support

Right answer!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.