Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Man who Sews
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Men Who SewMessage format

jscibran
Posted 2005-12-30 9:30 PM (#10712)
Subject: Another Man who Sews

New User

Hello everyone,

My name is John and I am primarily a quilter and also teach quilting. I have sewing for quite a few years. I've done just about every craft imaginable and finally settled on sewing. I have been making my own shirts for about 7 years now, using David Page Coffin's book. I started making them because I didn't like the way RTW close fit me. The commercial patterns were absolutely horrible. (I especially disliked the fake sleeve plackets) So I drafted my own pattern from David's book and started making my own shirts. I've tried to make pants a couple of times, but never could get them to fit right. That's the reason I bought TM. I hope to be able to make my own pants. I just bought TM yesterday and can hardly wait to start using it. I hope to be able to finally make a pair of pant that I can wear in public. Then I think I'll tackle a suit jacket.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OnlyMeLJG
Posted 2005-12-30 9:48 PM (#10716 - in reply to #10712)
Subject: RE: Another Man who Sews

Veteran

Welcome to the Wild Ginger fold. It may take a few tries to get the pants the way you want them, but it will be well worth it in the end (pardon the pun ). Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, because I can assure you there are wonderful experts out there. I should know -- I've used them many times, and finally have a pair of pants that fit.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2005-12-30 11:32 PM (#10720 - in reply to #10712)

Welcome, John! I'm sure Fred will chime in here; he has a website called SewManly.com, and was a participant in the first Wild Ginger Certified Educators workshop last summer. Each workshop attendee had to bring two fitting garments made from their own measurements from a Wild Ginger program; Fred brought a shirt and a pair of pants--the first pair he'd ever made. They were perfect, and were the only garment that didn't require a single change, if my memory serves. Pretty cool.

Good luck to you, but I'm sure you'll do great, and will greatly enjoy your Tailor Made program.
Sonja G
Posted 2005-12-31 11:30 AM (#10727 - in reply to #10712)

Welcome John! We have had a few other men chime in from time to time, but Fred is the only one who has stuck it out! Oh, yeah, and Paul - the Wild Ginger Man.

We are so glad you are here and would love to follow you on your journey. I sew for my men, but sometimes the sewing intimidates me. It is nice to have a guy around to get a different perspective!

Sonja
Frederick
Posted 2006-01-01 9:29 PM (#10783 - in reply to #10712)

Welcome, John. I hope you will become a regular on this Forum. You couldn't meet a finer group of people than those who frequent these pages. They are always ready to help. You will also find that the Wild Ones, as they call the folks at Wild Ginger, are active on the Forum. I have never encountered a software company that was more dedicated to customer satisfaction than Wild Ginger.

If I can be of help, do not hesitate to ask, but I should mention that I have not made anything for myself except the fitting garments required for the Certified Educators Workshop. A check of my website will explain why. My current project is a Flamenco skirt that I'm making for a friend. I drafted the pattern in Pattern Editor. I'll be posting instructions soon. I just finished the document. I'm sending it to Lisa and a couple of other reviewers, before going public.

One of these days, I will actually get around to making a shirt for myself. When I do, I may pick your brain for tips and tricks that have worked for you.

StMike
Posted 2008-06-30 9:09 AM (#44597 - in reply to #10712)

Extreme Veteran

Well, John (and others), I am new on here too with a lot less sewing experience than most of you. I bought my first machine a year ago last November. I have been sewing all along since with the exception of the three months when my house was torn up due to major remodeling. I have made several shirts, shorts, and a pair of slacks. Shirts work out ok most of the time (still have weird fitting areas) but pants have major fitting issues. I bought Tailor Made about two weeks ago, and am just learning hot to use it. The first thing I realized is that the program is a bit advanced for novice sewers, mainly because much of the sewing terminology is unfamiliar. But I am learning fast and hope to be able to make a good-fitting shirt and pair of pants one of these days! I am sure you will see me on here with many questions.
Jumala
Posted 2011-08-31 11:06 AM (#77643 - in reply to #10712)

Regular

Hi

The TM pants fit me fine. Not too sure about shirts. Might take a while. However, I am a plump tall person.

Dennis

Now to acquire TM5 someday.
StMike
Posted 2011-09-01 9:55 AM (#77653 - in reply to #10712)

Extreme Veteran

Since 2008, the date of my last post on here, I have made a lot of progress with TM pants.  I made three pairs of pants and only one was a disaster.  This summer, I made a pair of men's tailored Bermuda shorts with a slacks pattern from TM.  They fit very well and did not look home made from the outside.  I did use sewing instructions from Singer "Sewing for Style" to do the back double-welt pockets and the instructions from Sandra Betzina to install the front crotch zipper.  And I now have a serger to finish seams.  I think the new TMx5 is a big improvement from TMx4.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.