Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with File Organization
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

StMike
Posted 2018-01-17 10:59 AM (#92425)
Subject: Help with File Organization

Extreme Veteran

How do you organize your Pattern Master files?  My SE files get very confused when I am working on a style and there are versions that are similar but not identical.  Then, before printing a pattern, I usually edit the SE version in PE, and I have another file or two to keep track of.  When I go back a few days later after sewing a test garment, I don’t know what file is the one I used to begin with. Even if I write the file name on the garment, I lose track of the original along the way.  The print dates on the patterns and summaries don’t help because I have often made changes and resaved.  I have binders of old summaries and volumes of saved files backed up, but I don’t know how they relate to the garment I want to duplicate. The problem is worse when I go back several weeks or months later and try to duplicate a garment.  Help!  
Top of the page Bottom of the page
margie2
Posted 2018-01-18 5:20 PM (#92426 - in reply to #92425)
Subject: Re: Help with File Organization

Elite Veteran

I don't know if my system is any better than what you are doing, but I will try to explain what I do. When I finally have the kinks worked out of a pattern, I store that pattern in a see-through plastic envelope. Don't remember the exact size, but they are big enough for an 8'x10" sheet of paper. I take a picture of the garment and put that at the front of the envelope. I put the summary at the back of the envelope, so that I can see both of these, just like a commercial pattern. The pattern goes in the middle. I also store a piece of the fabric in the envelope. Every time I use the pattern, I add fabric from the new garment.

On my computer...I get rid of any iteration that I did between the beginning and the end. Usually, the pattern I end up with becomes my "Basic" pattern for that style. When I want to repeat, but make style changes to that pattern, I label them with whatever comes to mind, at the time. See, I am real scientific. Then, this new pattern gets its own envelope and becomes a separate pattern.

I know this sounds like a lot of work. But, it is a lot less work than the frustration of trying to find exactly what you want on the computer.
NancyM
Posted 2018-01-19 6:50 PM (#92429 - in reply to #92425)
Subject: RE: Help with File Organization

Elite Veteran

When I remember to, I use a system similar to Margie's. And I, too, delete the intermediate stages once I've got a "final" pattern. In the meantime, it helps me keep them straight if I use the 6-digit date as part of my filename, so I can tell which is the most recent version. I wish it were possible to make folders within the ones the software sets up, so that I could organize patterns a bit better. Failing that, I use the "client's" name as the first element in the filename; then a series of descriptive abbreviations; then the date. So my filenames look like this:
Danielle_scoop4_flare1_shirttail_ls_011318
Nelia_lstshirt_vneck5_020316
This does mean long filenames! And when I've made changes in PE, I add "_edt" at the end of the filename.

Nancy
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2018-01-20 8:47 AM (#92430 - in reply to #92429)

Administrator

I wish it were possible to make folders within the ones the software sets up, so that I could organize patterns a bit better.

You can make sub folders inside the folders we create in the program folder.
margie2
Posted 2018-01-20 1:35 PM (#92431 - in reply to #92430)

Elite Veteran

Will those sub folders show up in the Style Catalog?

I am not the one to ask about computer organization of Pattern Master Programs, but I sure would like to learn. My program is a mess and I don't know why. I have deleted patterns only to have them show up again. That is one reason why I do it all with envelopes and paper.

When I moved to my new computer, I lost some things, I think. I know I lost pictures. I can't see them anymore, so I assume they are not there.

I have considered starting over with brand new programs.
NancyM
Posted 2018-01-20 3:04 PM (#92433 - in reply to #92431)

Elite Veteran

Margie, I don't think the subfolders will show up in the style catalog. I just tried making one and moving a pattern into it. It's findable with Windows Explorer, and does show up in the "open file" list from PE, but doesn't show up in the catalog. Maybe this is something for the wish list?

Nancy
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2018-01-20 3:35 PM (#92435 - in reply to #92431)

Administrator

margie2 - 2018-01-20 12:35 PM

Will those sub folders show up in the Style Catalog?

No, patterns that you save in sub folders cannot be displayed in the Style Catalog. The patterns and folders on the hard drive that the program creates are not displayed in the Style Catalog. It only shows style options and settings that you have saved for a particular style. When you open the style onto a garment screen, the program recreates the patterns using the style options and settings you saved. It is not opening files that you saved on your computer.

The folders that the program creates and any sub folders that you create can only be used to store pattern files that are saved. You can open any of those files in Pattern Editor and Yardage Calculator. You cannot reopen those files in the Style Editor.

I am not the one to ask about computer organization of Pattern Master Programs, but I sure would like to learn. My program is a mess and I don't know why.

The organization of the program folders is not very complicated. When you save a style in Style Editor, the pattern file is saved in the Patterns folder in the corresponding Garment Type sub folder. The summary and the sketches are saved in the Summaries folder. If you add photos to your styles in the Style Catalog, they are saved in the Summaries/Photos folder. If you save a measurement chart to a file, it is saved in the Charts folder. If you add photos to your measurement chart, they are saved in the Charts/Photos folder. All measurement charts and saved styles are stored in the database for the program in the Databases folder. Layouts that you save in the Yardage Calculator are saved to the Layouts folder. There is really nothing more to it.

When you use the Back Up utility on the System Tools screen, it backs up your Charts, Databases, Layouts, Patterns, and Summaries folder to where ever you choose. Any sub folders created by the program or by you that are inside these main folders will also be backed up.

I have deleted patterns only to have them show up again. That is one reason why I do it all with envelopes and paper.

When you say you have deleted patterns, does that mean you deleted a style from the Style Catalog or an actual pattern from the hard drive of your computer? How did you delete the patterns? Where are they reappearing?

When I moved to my new computer, I lost some things, I think. I know I lost pictures. I can't see them anymore, so I assume they are not there.

If you did not back up your pictures to another location, then yes they would be lost. If they are still on your other computer and you can find them, you can copy them to the new computer and add them back to your styles.

(PMFolders.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PMFolders.png (7KB - 4 downloads)
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2018-01-20 3:37 PM (#92436 - in reply to #92433)

Administrator

NancyM - 2018-01-20 2:04 PM

Margie, I don't think the subfolders will show up in the style catalog. I just tried making one and moving a pattern into it. It's findable with Windows Explorer, and does show up in the "open file" list from PE, but doesn't show up in the catalog. Maybe this is something for the wish list?

Nancy

No, the sub folders will not appear. The Style Catalog does not and cannot work that way. You cannot "open" pattern files in Style Catalog. It only displays the style options and settings for the specific style. It is not displaying the saved pattern files.
margie2
Posted 2018-01-20 3:58 PM (#92437 - in reply to #92425)

Elite Veteran

I understand it when I read what you say. I just have to wrap my head around it.

The patterns that keep showing up...I decided that a good way to organize my patterns was to give them numbers. That turned out to be a bad idea. The numbers didn't help me figure out what the pattern was. I keep deleting them and they show back up. I think I am deleting them in the wrong place. Again, this is due to my not understanding what I am doing. You would think that by now someone who started with PM4 would know more.

I no longer have the old computer. I put everything onto USB sticks to transfer. I had no problems with my other programs, just PM. But, that might have been due to the fact that I didn't transfer everything to the USB stick. I don't know.

None of this has prevented me from using my programs. I just plunge ahead and keep making a mess.
Maybe one of these days I will try to clean it all up. I will print out what you said, Lisa and use it as my guideline. Thank you.
margie2
Posted 2018-01-21 2:10 PM (#92443 - in reply to #92425)

Elite Veteran

St. Mike, I didn't mean to kidnap your thread. Did any of this help? I am still confused, but hope to figure it all out.

My envelope/paper method has been the best for me. But, there have been times when I have thrown something out and wish I had kept it. Sometimes, I need to know what I did wrong as well as what I did right.
StMike
Posted 2018-01-22 3:57 PM (#92448 - in reply to #92443)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, thank you.  All of the responses in this thread have helped me understand better how the program works and given me some ideas for organizing my pattern files.  The problems for me arise when I make changes to a saved style and resave those changes.  I then go to Pattern Editor and give the pattern a new name and resave it. I might do that several times over a period of several days. Then when I think I have worked out the fit problems, I make the test garment from the latest edition of the pattern.  Then I might want to make some more adjustments to the pattern, so back to SE and more pattern editions. By that time I also have a stack of printed summaries with different dates from the saved patterns in my Patterns folder. If I come back a few days or weeks later, I have no idea where I left off or which of the patterns and summaries match up.  I need to figure out a more organized way to go about this whole process.  Maybe creating more folders in the Patterns directory would help?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.