Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dressforms
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

Patti
Posted 2017-08-08 2:09 PM (#92191)
Subject: Dressforms

Extreme Veteran

I found a great tutorial for building your own dress form. You could use your PMB pattern (Sheath, Shoulder Princess) as the starting point. I'm doing to try it.

http://kelly.hogaboom.org/2017/07/bootstrap-dress-form-tutorial-cut...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
margie2
Posted 2017-08-08 4:50 PM (#92193 - in reply to #92191)
Subject: RE: Dressforms

Elite Veteran

Patti, I did this several years ago using the sheath, shoulder princess as you suggested. That was after I had made several "befores", that just didn't work. The first one I made from a colorful cotton deco fabric. It would have been pretty in a window, but was useless as a dressform - too distracting. The next one I used the dress pattern. I made that one grey and it was OK, but I didn't like the waist seam. Then I did the sheath and added darts between the breasts to conform to me. I used a cream colored drill type fabric. Not sure what it is because it was in my stash. This form sort of works for me, except my shoulders and neck are much smaller than the form. I am considering taking a saw to it, but not sure if I will make it worse.

I used heavy foam to pad the form and quilt batting to cover the foam to soften it. I put a knit bra on it to make it more like me. I also put a drawstring on the bottom. It helps to keep the cover from sliding up. I never thought to use interfacing, but I think that would be a good idea.

I do use mine, but mostly for determining if I like fabrics together, or sometimes to determine which buttons, or pockets, etc. to use. Since most upper garments hang from the shoulders, it is hard to use mine for fitting. But, with the PM programs, I don't have to worry about that too much.

Edited by margie2 2017-08-08 5:12 PM
ursulab
Posted 2017-08-08 5:45 PM (#92194 - in reply to #92191)
Subject: Re: Dressforms

" I am considering taking a saw to it, but not sure if I will make it worse."

check this blog. She did this to her form ;-)

https://cocosloft.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/tweaking-my-dress-form/
Patti
Posted 2017-08-11 10:29 PM (#92200 - in reply to #92191)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks ursulab and magie2. I've done nothing yet, my usual procrastination. I'm looking at ditto form that my techy brain is drawn to, but at almost $1,000 it's a bit too pricey. I really need to keep tweeking, my PMB slopers but it's hard when you don't have a sewing buddy. I'll let everyone know my final direction.
margie2
Posted 2017-08-12 3:02 PM (#92202 - in reply to #92200)

Elite Veteran

Patti, I just watched a You Tube video about padding a dressform. It was one I had not seen before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXc4ySV-dI It was a lot more precise than my trial and error method that I did a few years ago. Hope that link goes through. If not, her name is susanliascoutoure.

Ursulab, I follow her blog and did see that she cut her form. My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to get the neck down a couple inches and still have a smooth surface to work with.

Another problem with my form is the neck is straight up from the back. We are not built that way! I guess it is a cheaper way to build a form. My form is really old and I didn't realize that it had that problem for many years. There is nothing I can do to correct that. So, I am thinking of buying a new form and starting over.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2017-08-12 5:32 PM (#92203 - in reply to #92191)

Regular

I have one of the foam dress forms with a canvas dress that zips down the center back. I need to adjust it a bit here & there as it isn't so much the numbers that are off as the shape just isn't me...that dress form is a good place to get started, I think. I just need to get that round tuit everyone is always talking about.

Edited by ReneeG1957 2017-08-12 5:33 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.