Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expandable Waist
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

StMike
Posted 2017-02-27 9:41 PM (#91872)
Subject: Expandable Waist

Extreme Veteran

I have been unsuccessful locating instructions for sewing an expandable waist in mens pants.   I am referring to the waist expansions at the side seams and waist band above the pockets.  These usually have a sliding panel in the waistband and elastic inside to allow for the expansion in the waist circumference.  Does anyone know of a good set of instructions or a pattern for this?

Edited by StMike 2017-02-27 9:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2017-02-27 9:50 PM (#91873 - in reply to #91872)
Subject: RE: Expandable Waist

Administrator

StMike - 2017-02-27 8:41 PM

I have been unsuccessful locating instructions for sewing an expandable waist in mens pants.   I am referring to the waist expansions at the side seams and waist band above the pockets.  These usually have a sliding panel in the waistband and elastic inside to allow for the expansion in the waist circumference.  Does anyone know of a good set of instructions or a pattern for this?

I used to have a paper pattern with those instructions. Not sure I still do but will look for it.
StMike
Posted 2017-02-28 5:32 PM (#91874 - in reply to #91872)
Subject: Re: Expandable Waist

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Lisa. I just thought of something else today while at work. I will go to Good Will and other charity thrift stores to see if I can find a pair of expandable waist pants and then take them apart to try and figure out just exactly how they do that? I don't think it is very difficult.

Edited by StMike 2017-02-28 5:34 PM
scottiesews
Posted 2017-03-01 2:46 PM (#91878 - in reply to #91872)

Veteran

I don't have it to hand but I'm fairly sure there are instructions in David Coffin's book on pants
StMike
Posted 2017-03-01 10:53 PM (#91881 - in reply to #91878)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have that book, but the method Mr. Coffin uses leaves a large elastic insert showing to the public side of the garment albeit in the waistband area where a belt would worn.  So, I am still looking for a more refined method where the elastic is hidden from public view.

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2017-03-01 11:36 PM (#91882 - in reply to #91881)

Administrator

I found these links. They are not quite what you are looking for but might give you the general idea of how to sew it.

http://nap-timecreations.com/2015/04/adjustable-waistband-tutorial-with-button-elastic.html

http://makeitorfixit.com/how-to-make-an-adjustable-waistband-in-jeans

https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2015/06/adding-an-adjustable-elastic-waist-to-pantsskirts.html

I also found this patent which is kind of fun.

https://www.google.com/patents/US6385777

This YouTube video shows how it works but not how to construct but it might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXK7VdE3s

StMike
Posted 2017-03-02 9:03 AM (#91883 - in reply to #91882)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Lisa.  Those are all very helpful. I had seen some of them already. But that patent! I haven't searched patent databases since I was a consultant.  Good find!  I also wondered if the WIKI article on sewing a side pocket skirt opening might not be adapted to the installation of the expandable elastic closure?  It's a good WIKI article, and I am curious about adapting it.  Anyone out there have suggestions?
margie2
Posted 2017-03-02 3:00 PM (#91884 - in reply to #91883)

Elite Veteran

St. Mike, I think your idea of going to the thrift store is a good one. I recently made a couple jackets by copying the designs from some thrift store jackets. One was a Koos that would only fit a supermodel. It is really helpful to have a garment to study and you don't always have to take it apart.

I looked in a couple books I have on sewing men's garments. I do have one that illustrates adding elastic to the waist of men's knit pants, but I am pretty sure this isn't what you want. The book dates to the 70's, just as knits were taking off. I think I know what you are looking for because my DH had some trousers with that type waistband. He no longer has them, or I would take pictures for you.

Have you tried the library?

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2017-03-02 3:14 PM (#91885 - in reply to #91872)

Extreme Veteran

I actually have a pack of those metal adjustable hook & eye closures by Dritz.. Picked it up at an estate sale, but they still make them.
 If button elastic or metal isn't your thing, maybe a soft, but firm, unseen side adjustment alternative could involve bra back replacements or extenders. They are easy to find at a JoAnn's, made to take stress and can come in wide or narrow widths.
Shelley
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.