Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flare
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

margie2
Posted 2016-08-17 1:01 PM (#91416)
Subject: Flare

Elite Veteran

When you add flare, how do you figure out how much to add?

When you add flare to the side of a commercial pattern, you just get flare at the side. When you add flare in a PM program does it distribute across the pattern?

If you are going to have a center front closure, should you make a full front, add flare, and then cut the pattern in half so that you can cut it out on the fold? Or does it make no difference?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
NancyM
Posted 2016-08-17 1:15 PM (#91418 - in reply to #91416)
Subject: RE: Flare

Extreme Veteran

I figure out how much to add (or subtract, since the default seems to be flare 5) by going to full screen and measuring, then changing the setting and remeasuring. If I want something in between the settings, I go into PE and rotate the side seam line until I get the desired amount.

I think the software adds flare only at the side seam. If you want to get it elsewhere you would need to use a gored style or the slinky skirt or godets.

Because flare is added at the side seam (I think), I don't think you need to mirror the pattern and then cut it in half.

Nancy
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-08-17 1:20 PM (#91419 - in reply to #91416)

Administrator

margie2 - 2016-08-17 12:01 PM

When you add flare, how do you figure out how much to add?

This is strictly personal preference and usually based on the style and the fabric. Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a trial and error thing or you can measure existing garments to see how much flare they have to get an idea of what you might like.

When you add flare to the side of a commercial pattern, you just get flare at the side. When you add flare in a PM program does it distribute across the pattern?

Flare is only added at the sideseams in the program.

If you are going to have a center front closure, should you make a full front, add flare, and then cut the pattern in half so that you can cut it out on the fold? Or does it make no difference?

Not sure I understand this question but flare is usually not added to the center front of a pattern. If you did add flare and then tried to cut it on the fold, it would be bias in some areas and the center front would stretch out of shape. It would not work with a zipper or buttonholes.
margie2
Posted 2016-08-17 1:32 PM (#91420 - in reply to #91419)

Elite Veteran

You got my last question and answered it. Your answer makes sense to me.

I have been playing around with the program to try to understand how the flare works. If you were to create an A line skirt, you could change the drape very easily by changing the straight of grain. That would determine how the skirt hangs. I have been trying to apply that principle to a bodice and am beginning to see why it will not work.

I am going to redo my coat (in another thread) in the program and compare it to what I ended up with in PE. I went through a lot of steps to get the drape. Of course, it was more fun than just picking and choosing.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-08-17 2:38 PM (#91421 - in reply to #91420)

Administrator

margie2 - 2016-08-17 12:32 PM

You got my last question and answered it. Your answer makes sense to me.

I have been playing around with the program to try to understand how the flare works. If you were to create an A line skirt, you could change the drape very easily by changing the straight of grain. That would determine how the skirt hangs. I have been trying to apply that principle to a bodice and am beginning to see why it will not work.

I am going to redo my coat (in another thread) in the program and compare it to what I ended up with in PE. I went through a lot of steps to get the drape. Of course, it was more fun than just picking and choosing.

Bodices can certainly be cut on the bias but you have to be careful about choosing a style and you want to keep the number of seams to a minimum. Sewing a zipper into a bias seam or trying to install buttonholes is very difficult and can ruin the garment. You would also need to experiment with ease. Bias cut garments need far less ease.

PE is a great way to experiment. I also have a half scale dress form. I draft patterns in the program and then print them at half scale and drape on my form to see if I like the look.
margie2
Posted 2016-08-17 5:08 PM (#91425 - in reply to #91421)

Elite Veteran

I use a cheaper method of trying patterns at half scale. I have a "My Size Barbie" that I found in a thrift store. If you don't know about her, she is 36" tall. I have doubled her measurements into the program. If I print out a 1/2 size pattern, it fits her, except for the sleeves and legs of pants. We all know that Barbie is not scaled as a human form. I just lengthen the sleeves and pant legs. It works really well for me and some day some little girl is going to have a doll with a great wardrobe. I also use her to figure out the best way to put a garment together when I am doing something complicated.

I used to make bias garments for myself, but have gotten out of the habit of doing so. I made slips and teddies out of silk, on the bias. Of course I was using commercial patterns and never thought about how they were drafted. I just made the grain at a 45 degree angle from what was printed on the pattern.

TessainGabriola
Posted 2016-08-20 12:22 AM (#91434 - in reply to #91425)
Subject: Re: Flare

Elite Veteran

I think ...not knowing anything... that for me, a 5" flare on the side seams is lots. Sometimes they seem to sag on the sides because of too much fabric. I like the look of gored skirts with flare much better as the flare is spread all around. It has more life. Are square dance skirts gored? Those are the ultimate flared things!   

Tessa

Edited by TessainGabriola 2016-08-20 12:25 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.