Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using a picture to draft a pattern
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Pattern Editor Projects - PublicMessage format

margie2
Posted 2016-08-05 1:35 PM (#91369)
Subject: Using a picture to draft a pattern

Elite Veteran

How do you determine the dimensions when you are copying a picture? Length is not a problem for me. I usually know where I want the garment or sleeves to end. I copied a coat/jacket from an old ColdWater Creek catalog. It has a slight flare. I did not want the flare just at the side, so I did slash and pivot across the back and front at regular intervals, just under the armhole. That worked well, but I was only guessing at how much flare to add. I could probably have used a little more. I also had to guess at the collar width and depth. There was no model in the picture. So, I thought I would like that collar to end at 9". That worked. But, I got the collar way too wide. I know it is easy to change that and will do so.

Anyone have ideas that make this less of a guessing game?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cfonfold
Posted 2016-08-05 9:12 PM (#91370 - in reply to #91369)
Subject: Re: Using a picture to draft a pattern

Expert

Hi Margie2, I make virtually everything I wear. Some under things but not bras. I copy from all sorts of places. CWC is on of my favorites. Being comfortable with your own proportions and using the red underlay as a road map is your very best bet. Small elements of course (collars, pocket flaps, etc. and subtlities like the size of a cuff or the roll of a collar ) are the hardest! That's what muslins are for. I think your eye develops the ability to use the width of the shoulder or length of the torso as a guide. Coopie Of course you need a really good fitting garment! C.
margie2
Posted 2016-08-06 1:44 PM (#91372 - in reply to #91370)
Subject: Re: Using a picture to draft a pattern

Elite Veteran

Thank you, Coopie, for you insight. I don't have a problem determining the dimensions of most things like cuffs, bands, etc. I can measure something I already have. This particular coat is outside my comfort zone and is really different from anything I have. It would look good on a tall slim person. I am neither, so I may never make this coat. I really do like it.

What started me thinking about the process of copying a picture was the flare of this coat. My first attempt was too much, my second not enough. I got the collar too wide because I used my bust point measurements rather than what is probably a size 2 measurements in the picture.

I have made a muslin. I usually do, even if it is a fashion fabric that I never intend to wear.

Another thing that might keep me from making the coat is the fabric. It needs to be a lightweight fur looking fabric so that it doesn't come out looking like a Teddy bear. I might be looking at the wrong time of the year for such a fabric.

(CCFur3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CCFur3.jpg (37KB - 2 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.