Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you too fussy about your sewing?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-07-24 9:18 AM (#91315)
Subject: Are you too fussy about your sewing?

Tech Support

This came up at the sewing guild meeting this week.  I was teaching the class on using a Fit Dress.  Afterwards the discussion turned to sewers being too fussy about fit.

Do we expect too much from fabric?

Is there such a thing as perfect?

Do we see things that a person looking at the garment do not see?

What do you think? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Welmoed
Posted 2016-07-24 11:31 AM (#91316 - in reply to #91315)
Subject: Re: Are you too fussy about your sewing?

Elite Veteran

I totally, totally agree that so many of us are hypercritical of our own work, Let me share my favorite sewing story:

About ten years ago I attended a trunk show put on by Cynthia Guffey. If you're familiar with her, you know she is a consummate perfectionist and her work is exquisite. Well, I made sure to be in the front row so I could see everything. She would hold up a garment and talk about it for a few minutes, pointing out some details. Then she passed the garment into the audience so we could all take a good look at it. And when I got those garments in my hand, I would start to notice the little "flaws": an embroidery jump stitch not clipped; a seam crossing just a hair off; a skipped stitch. Real little things, but they were there. However, they didn't detract from the first impression of the garment I got when she held it up.

And suddenly it struck me: the flaws didn't matter because they weren't what I saw first. My first view of the garment was as a completed whole, seen from about ten feet away. It was only after I got it in my hands and started looking at the components that I saw anything "wrong" with it. But by the time I saw those things, I already had an image of the dress in my mind -- had already been "introduced" to it and had my first impression, so the components were secondary.

When we create our own garments, we don't have the opportunity to get that "introduction." We see the components first, up close, as we are working on them, so that close look at the pieces is what our initial view of the garment tends to be. It's very hard to put on something you've just finished for the first time and NOT see those components and the "flaws" you saw when working on them.

But that's not what the world sees! Anyone else's "introduction" to that garment is as the whole, completed piece. They don't see the components, and they're not six inches away. They will NEVER see it the way you do. And once you can embrace that, you may be able to let go of some of the self-criticism that prevents you from enjoying the process of creating garments in the first place.

--Welmoed
sewsally
Posted 2016-07-24 12:16 PM (#91317 - in reply to #91315)

Elite Veteran

I think that we can over fit and then the garment doesn't feel right anyway. Close is good. Better than you can buy.
margie2
Posted 2016-07-24 12:50 PM (#91318 - in reply to #91315)
Subject: RE: Are you too fussy about your sewing?

Elite Veteran

The only way to really find out if a garment fits is to wear it. There have been plenty of garments I have made that after the first wearing I have decided I did not like the way it fits. I also know that if I don't like the way something turned out, hang it up and walk away. Come back to it in days or even weeks. Sometimes the distance is what you need as Welmoed said.

Fit is also very subjective. We all like different amounts of ease to create what we like as "fit". The last time I made a dress for one of my daughters, I created it with the ease I would use. It was not to her liking! Good thing I made a muslin! She wanted it much tighter than I thought was comfortable.

Perfect? Yes, when it feels good on you and you feel good wearing it.

JoAnndjob
Posted 2016-07-24 7:26 PM (#91319 - in reply to #91315)

I'm not as critical of the sewing & fit as I am to how I perceive it to look on my body. Others probably don't see it quite like I do. I have problems adjusting to my "now" body vs. the one of 30 years ago that everything looked good on. As Welmoed said, fit is subjective.
StMike
Posted 2016-07-25 9:15 AM (#91323 - in reply to #91315)

Extreme Veteran

I am all about comfort now as I have become an older person. When I first started with Tailor Made eight years ago, I made garments that looked all right from 10 ft. away and as long as I was standing. But when I sat down or reached for something, I could fell that there just was not enough room for the expansion. I knew nothing about wearing ease. It has taken a long time and many, many garments to arrive at the point where I understand at least a little about the importance of what I call "living ease.". Styles today for men are way too tight for me. In the tailor shop, young men would come in with their new suits off the rack and want them taken in everywhere. When they tried the suits on for the fitting, they already looked too snug and too short for comfort. Nevertheless, they would pay a lot for alterations to have the "Peewee Hermann" look. Honestly, I don't know how those guys could sit comfortably in those suits. But then, sitting is not the objective; standing around looking "cool" is. For me, I am past the "looking cool" age. I just want well-made garments that feel good on and give me the expansion room I need when sitting and driving. So, with Tailor Made in the first few years, I had only a few problems dealing with the vertical dimensions, crotch depth notwithstanding, but the girth dimensions have been difficult and still are sometimes. I am just a lot bigger than I thought, especially when sitting. Now I recognize the importance of having generous wearing ease along with customized shaping to get a really nice looking garment that is sculpted around the body shape and comfortable. Tailor Made has really helped a lot for that.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-07-25 9:46 AM (#91324 - in reply to #91315)

Tech Support

I like the term "Living Ease".
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-07-25 9:51 AM (#91325 - in reply to #91324)

Administrator

Living ease is a great descriptor.
cfonfold
Posted 2016-07-25 1:56 PM (#91327 - in reply to #91325)

Expert

I agree with all of these comments! And as I started to move on to the next thread, I laughed right out loud---a quote from a long ago member of the forum--"Perfect is good-----done is better!" Rowena
Coopie
TessainGabriola
Posted 2016-07-26 8:27 PM (#91330 - in reply to #91327)

Elite Veteran

Go Rowena!

Tessa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.