Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I design this dress?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Design Challenges - PublicMessage format

BeadWinks
Posted 2016-04-02 1:13 PM (#91098)
Subject: How do I design this dress?

I have a semi formal event I would like to make this dress for and I am having some challenges in determining what settings work best. The key elements that I want from this dress are the big drapey pockets with the gathering of dress below, the drapyness but not to puffyness of the skirt and the gathers on the shoulder seam, the button front (I want to find some special buttons!) the empire waist with midriff.

I am not sure which skirt to start with. Flared classic seems like the folds would be focused on the sides not throughout including under the pockets. Circle would cause folds throughout but I am not able to do buttons and I don't want too much puffyness and fabric.

I also cannot figure out the gathers at the shoulder seam. Would adding a big dart but simply gathering it in the construction phase work?

As for the back the only design element I absolutely need is the skirt drapyness throughout. The yoke and back seam I can live with or without.

Also and I should maybe have asked this first, as a 52 year old I now have a classic puffy middle droopy stomach. I was thinking that the pockets and drapyness would camouflage all that and still be comfortable. Am I misguided in this belief?

I appreciate any guidance.

Alisa hoping to rock it at Adult Prom
(Adult Prom is the French Banquet we attend every year ;-) )

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (87KB - 45 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Grandma C
Posted 2016-04-02 4:23 PM (#91099 - in reply to #91098)
Subject: Re: How do I design this dress?

Elite Veteran

What about making a shirtwaist dress with full skirt and a cummerbund. Make the pockets an overlay of same fabric as the skirt and same width as the portion of the skirt it will be attached to just cutting the draped opening and self facing the pockets, attaching the overlay at the waist and just gathering the skirt and pocket panel as though the panel and skirt were a single layer. A full skirt would give you a blousy pocket.
Grandma C
Posted 2016-04-02 8:18 PM (#91100 - in reply to #91098)

Elite Veteran

If the fabric is light weight or even sheer, a full double layer front with the pocket opening being in the outer layer with a facing. In the shirtwaist you would extend the button placket down the front if you wish but I think it would look more dressy with the buttons to the waist and the cummerbund to give the illusion of an empire waist I wonder if you could transfer the waist darts to the shoulders to give the fullness and then just use gathers instead of darts. I am just brainstorming and my expertise with formal or semiformal wear is limited. Its fun to try to think it through. Plz post when you get it drafted.
BeadWinks
Posted 2016-04-05 12:02 PM (#91107 - in reply to #91098)

Grandma C thanks for the clever ideas. I will try those in the software.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.