Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving to a New Computer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

RJW
Posted 2016-03-07 6:51 PM (#91019)
Subject: Moving to a New Computer

I am having a hard time figuring out exactly how to move data from one computer to a new one. I was pointed to the following link:

http://www.wildginger.com/wiki/movepm5.htm

This says I can backup to an external location but I can't see how to do this on the backup tab. It only shows locations on my computer not on my network. Since I couldn't figure out how to do that, I created a backup directory on my computer and backed up to that directory on my hard drive. I can then copy those files manually.

When trying to put the new files on my new computer I am confused. The following paragraphas are from the instructions I was pointed to.

Copy the file PMxCHARTS.SDF from your back up location and paste it into the root PatternMaster folder on the new computer making certain to replace the existing file. The root PatternMaster folders are PMBoutique5, PMChildsPlay5, PMCurves5, PMKnits5, PMTailorMade5, and PMWApplause5.

If you used the Back Up Utility on your old computer to copy files, the PMxCharts.sdf file will be in the Databases folder inside the root folder of your PatternMaster program and may be used to restore your data. Make certain to replace the existing file in that location if asked.

These paragraphs seem to indicate 2 different locations for the SDF file. Does it go in the ROOT or DATABASES folder on the new computer??

Then I get to the charts files. The following paragraph is from the instructions I was directed to.

If you backed up the Charts folder, it contains text copies of any measurement charts that you printed. These files cannot be directly imported into the program. You can use the text copy of a measurement chart to re-enter the measurement charts if needed.

Is this really saying that I have to manually enter my charts again? What happens to Fit defaults and design defaults? Did those get carried over? I am very concerned about what data I need to track down and enter manually and what will get carried over. I would think a backup program would do all of this for me to avoid the many errors possible in re-doing everything manually. I hope I am just misunderstanding how this all works.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-03-07 7:58 PM (#91020 - in reply to #91019)
Subject: RE: Moving to a New Computer

Administrator

RJW - 2016-03-07 5:51 PM

http://www.wildginger.com/wiki/movepm5.htm

This says I can backup to an external location but I can't see how to do this on the backup tab. It only shows locations on my computer not on my network. Since I couldn't figure out how to do that, I created a backup directory on my computer and backed up to that directory on my hard drive. I can then copy those files manually.

The program cannot see networked drives. It can see external drives such as CD drives or USB drives. You will need to manually copy the data to a networked drive.

When trying to put the new files on my new computer I am confused. The following paragraphs are from the instructions I was pointed to.

Copy the file PMxCHARTS.SDF from your back up location and paste it into the root PatternMaster folder on the new computer making certain to replace the existing file. The root PatternMaster folders are PMBoutique5, PMChildsPlay5, PMCurves5, PMKnits5, PMTailorMade5, and PMWApplause5.

If you used the Back Up Utility on your old computer to copy files, the PMxCharts.sdf file will be in the Databases folder inside the root folder of your PatternMaster program and may be used to restore your data. Make certain to replace the existing file in that location if asked.

These paragraphs seem to indicate 2 different locations for the SDF file. Does it go in the ROOT or DATABASES folder on the new computer??

There are two locations for the SDF file - one in the DATABASES folder of the BACK UP location and one in the the ROOT folder on the NEW computer.

Then I get to the charts files. The following paragraph is from the instructions I was directed to.

If you backed up the Charts folder, it contains text copies of any measurement charts that you printed. These files cannot be directly imported into the program. You can use the text copy of a measurement chart to re-enter the measurement charts if needed. Is this really saying that I have to manually enter my charts again?

No, it is saying that you can use the txt files IF NEEDED. If you backed up the SDF file and copy and paste it correctly into the ROOT folder of the PM program on your new computer, you will not need to re-enter your measurement charts. They are all stored in that SDF file. If, for some reason, you do not have the SDF file and only have the TXT files, you can use those files to re-enter any measurement charts you want to restore.

What happens to Fit defaults and design defaults? Did those get carried over? I am very concerned about what data I need to track down and enter manually and what will get carried over. I would think a backup program would do all of this for me to avoid the many errors possible in re-doing everything manually. I hope I am just misunderstanding how this all works.

ALL of your data is stored in the SDF file including measurement charts, fit and design defaults, and saved styles.  The back up program does save everything you need to restore your data onto a new computer.  If you copy and paste the SDF file correctly, you will not lose any data and there will not be anything you have to track or re-enter manually.

Jumala
Posted 2016-03-23 10:43 AM (#91060 - in reply to #91019)
Subject: Re: Moving to a New Computer

Regular

I wish I had read this post recently as I had to move my files from XP to Win 7. Did get it working but now have to manually reenter the design information. The XP machine got dumped after deleting most of the program & data files.

Dennis
ReneeG1957
Posted 2016-03-23 11:33 AM (#91063 - in reply to #91019)

Regular

Lost a computer last October (2009 model Dell Latitude - turned it off Friday night, spent Saturday out of town with a relative for their birthday, and the laptop never booted up again).

I'm rearranging the sewing room - which translates to "I've misplaced almost everything smaller than a sewing machine" - I can't find the disks - which have the activation code (I hope) with them.

Time to shut down the computer and get back to rearranging the sewing room and doing the rest of the "spring cleaning".

If I can't find the disks & activation code - is there a way to download & activate from the website? Before my current laptop dies of old age and I have to buy a Windows 10 computer because that's all that is available?
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-03-23 12:31 PM (#91064 - in reply to #91019)

Tech Support

You will find info on Moving to a New Computer on the Wiki at this link.

http://www.wildginger.com/support/moveprograms.htm

We recommend always downloading a fresh setup file. For older programs you will get the Final Version and for V6 programs usually the latest updated version.

If you need product keys write to support@wildginger.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.