Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sewing Resolution
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-01 9:18 AM (#90777)
Subject: Sewing Resolution

Tech Support

I've been thinking of sewing resolutions for the new year.  So many possibilities.  Some thoughts...

Try a new style that I have not made before.  I tend to get stuck using the same style options.

Clear the stash of fabrics I will never use.  One of our small thrift shops has a fabric section that I have sent things to before.

Check out the closet.  If I don't wear something any more time to go even if I did sew it.

What are your thoughts? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-02 11:35 AM (#90782 - in reply to #90777)
Subject: Re: Sewing Resolution

Tech Support

No Resolutions!

Yesterday my project of the day was to find a better way to keep the embroidery frames for my machine. Laying loose around the room wasn't working.  Cup hooks were the answer. I have an L shaped table for my machines so hung the frames on the end. Turned out to be a 10 minutes project.

My project today is to hem the sleeves and bottom of a blouse I started at least two months ago.   Should not take that long to hem something, especially since it's a knit and I am doing a machine hem. 

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-02 11:41 AM (#90783 - in reply to #90777)
Subject: RE: Sewing Resolution

Administrator

My sewing resolution is a whole new wardrobe. I have lost 60 pounds in the last few months (on purpose because I needed to) and all my clothes are falling off.

I have been thinking about the upcycling and refashioning craze. Going to see if I can salvage clothes made from fabrics I love and turn them into new treasures.
sewsally
Posted 2016-01-02 12:44 PM (#90784 - in reply to #90777)

Elite Veteran

I am going to use up or donate yardage so I can confine the rest to the 12 fabric totes I have under my cutting table.

I am going to make a jeans jacket.

I am going to finish a dress for my new niece.

Maybe I will deal with using my old Brother 8500 embroidery machine and its old software where ever it is after several computer upgrades. Or give away my embroidery supplies and just use the machine for sewing and buttonholes.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2016-01-02 1:12 PM (#90785 - in reply to #90777)

Regular

I am going to clean my closet out of what does not fit me right now.

I am going to get the cutting table cleared off so that I can cut some things out to sew. I have wool for a new coat - I would like to have the coat & not just the wool in a box!

I am going to sort out the stash - because there are fabrics in there that I bought because I liked them. I want to be able to wear those fabrics, not just pet them on the shelf.

Edited by ReneeG1957 2016-01-02 1:38 PM
StMike
Posted 2016-01-02 2:13 PM (#90787 - in reply to #90777)

Extreme Veteran

1. Try to curb my appetite for Vintage sewing machines; just yesterday I acquired a 1958 Japanese clone of the Singer 15-90 something, called Rodney. (Free) Needs some minor rewiring and a new foot controller. A few weeks ago I bought another vintage Phaff, No. 6, in cabinet. ($75.) Needs nothing but TLC cleaning and oiling. Sews like a champ; straight stitch only. I already own a nice Pfaff 262 (1962; $50). I now have 5 machines (three Vintage) and a serger! Really I can only sew on one or two at a time, well maybe three. This has to stop!

2. Throw out all my fabric fragments from past projects. Will never use those, so why hang on? And I don't quilt.

3. Make at least one garment per month for myself only.

4. Lose weight - Ha! Just thought I would toss that in!
Grandma C
Posted 2016-01-02 2:46 PM (#90788 - in reply to #90777)

Elite Veteran

I love these resolutions. I plan to make this the year I get back to sewing. When Ronnie had a Massive brain hemorrhage 3 years ago this month,the sewing room was still a mess from frenzied sewing for Christmas gifts and from altering the coat I made for DGD. Since then it has become the junk room and never really in a tidy order. Well, Ronnie (DH)is still recovering but is fairly independent and able if someone is home with him. He can captain his own speech therapy and to make his own lunch etc., to some extent so I am going to go move forward with some things that bring me pleasure. I am working full time still but will be cutting back on work hours as much as possible.
First on the agenda is to begin to find homes for the clutter or junk it.
Next is to go through my stash and find fabrics to make some 2 or 3 new scrub tops for work.
I have gained a lot of weight and so probably will need to start over with a new fit garment.
I must reinstall PMB5 on my computer. ( took it off thinking I would never sew again)

You folks all have a very Happy New Year.
Belinda/Lindy

Edited by Grandma C 2016-01-02 2:49 PM
Welmoed
Posted 2016-01-02 4:48 PM (#90791 - in reply to #90777)

Elite Veteran

My sewing theme for the year is "Selfish Sewing." I do so much sewing for other family members that I tend to put projects for myself on the back burner. No more!! To that end, I have pledged to sew at least two garments per month for myself. Like Lisa, I've been losing weight (but not nearly as much as her... 15 pounds so far, with 45 left to go), but rather than use that as an excuse to not "waste" fabric on my shrinking figure, I've decided to use my changing figure as a way to practice new techniques and new styles, knowing that I will likely not be wearing whatever it is for very long (I hope!).

I also need to sew down my stash and will also probably sell a few of my machines (gasp!) as we hope to be downsizing this year. My huge work table has already gone to another wonderful PMB-er, and while I do miss it, I'm learning to make do.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-03 12:01 AM (#90792 - in reply to #90791)

Administrator

Welmoed - 2016-01-02 3:48 PM

Like Lisa, I've been losing weight (but not nearly as much as her... 15 pounds so far, with 45 left to go), but rather than use that as an excuse to not "waste" fabric on my shrinking figure, I've decided to use my changing figure as a way to practice new techniques and new styles, knowing that I will likely not be wearing whatever it is for very long (I hope!).

You are off to a great start! Practicing new techniques is a brilliant idea. I need to do that myself. I have a huge folder full of stuff to try and now I need to get to it.
Towanda
Posted 2016-01-03 9:48 AM (#90794 - in reply to #90777)

Regular

My non-sewing goal is to cook healthier and not eat out as much. I need to find a way to add some exercise into my day. I did sew a lot last year and used PMB for most of it. I didn't make resolutions this year. I have set some goals instead:
1. Shop my stash first. You know that you have too much fabric when you can't find what you are looking for.
2. Develop a blazer pattern for woven and knit fabrics
3. Try new techniques and get a new walking foot for my sm.
4. Develop a set of TNT patterns for woven and knit fabrics. I keep tweaking patterns so I need to stop and figure out which version fits the best.
5. Complete the 2016 SWAP contest running at Stitcher's Guild. I may not finish on time but I will make it the start of my spring/summer wardrobe.
tbirdtammy
Posted 2016-01-06 1:36 PM (#90823 - in reply to #90777)

Regular

I am with Welmoed, I am going to sew more for me this year with a new wardrobe and attend Sewing Guild this year and maybe a convention or two.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-06 2:23 PM (#90824 - in reply to #90794)

Administrator

Towanda - 2016-01-03 8:48 AM

My non-sewing goal is to cook healthier and not eat out as much. I need to find a way to add some exercise into my day.

I have the same problem with getting exercise since I work at home.  Check out this article on house walking.  It has helped me quite a bit.

House Walking

Welmoed
Posted 2016-01-06 3:03 PM (#90825 - in reply to #90824)

Elite Veteran

Lisa Shanley - 2016-01-06 2:23 PM

I have the same problem with getting exercise since I work at home.

One of the best things I ever did was to install a treadmill desk. Now I walk while I type/surf. It took some getting used to, but now I walk more than an hour per day.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-06 3:12 PM (#90826 - in reply to #90777)

Tech Support

I am very fond of my tread mill - warning - do not do your Internet banking while trotting along at 3 miles an hour. Easy to mistype - Now I just read Bridge books or play Bridge Baron...Well sometimes I answer email.

I found my TM at Play it Again Sports - like new condition at 1/5th new cost. 

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2016-01-06 6:45 PM (#90827 - in reply to #90825)

Administrator

Welmoed - 2016-01-06 2:03 PM

Lisa Shanley - 2016-01-06 2:23 PM

I have the same problem with getting exercise since I work at home.

One of the best things I ever did was to install a treadmill desk. Now I walk while I type/surf. It took some getting used to, but now I walk more than an hour per day.

I thought about one of those but not sure I could actually program or do pattern making while walking. Since that is all I do, probably not the best solution for me. Y'all might not be happy with the results.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2016-01-06 8:41 PM (#90828 - in reply to #90777)

Regular

I know all about sewing for others & ending up with very little for yourself. After two years doing counted cross stitch, I sat down and designed a carrier for my projects, a needle case, and a scissor sheath - then made them for myself. It was the first thing that stayed in my hands after all that work. I still have it (I need to redo some of the stitching - but as I haven't embroidered on a regular basis in fifteen years, there is no sense of urgency - I hate aging when I can't see the stitches on embroidery or sewing any more).

Back to resolutions - I need some clothes that fit. I want to wear clothes that I love. I'm not finding them on the racks at the stores, that's for durned sure. Back to step one - cleaning out & setting up the office & sewing room. After tossing five bags of shredded paperwork today - I can at least see one desktop. Too bad it's not the cutting table...yet. But I'm closer to having space to work in than I was last week. And I found my Wild Ginger install disks (computer crash - the laptop "black screened" - I assumed a motherboard failure & recycled it and got another one). I just need to get the computer desk cleaned up (Friday?). I'm still sorting & tossing the stuff piled around the room. How did my husband's stuff get on my desk?

My goal is to wear something that I made myself for Valentine's Day - as it will be my "valentine" to myself.

Edited by ReneeG1957 2016-01-06 8:44 PM
NancyM
Posted 2016-01-07 10:54 AM (#90830 - in reply to #90828)

Extreme Veteran

ReneeG1957 - 2016-01-06 7:41 PM

"I hate aging when I can't see the stitches on embroidery or sewing any more."

Renee, for Christmas I got a seam ripper with a bright LED light and a magnifying glass. I love it. The ripper part swivels so you can change angles easily. A lifesaver when somebody asks you to re-hem two pairs of black exercise pants with too-many-thread commercial-machine coverstitched hems that were clearly designed never to come out.

Nancy
margie2
Posted 2016-01-07 1:20 PM (#90832 - in reply to #90777)
Subject: RE: Sewing Resolution

Elite Veteran

I am going to declutter my sewing studio. I have a very nice room, but it is packed. I told DH the other day that if there is an earthquake he is to run into my sewing closet because nothing will fall on him because everything is packed so tightly. You might call me a hoarder, but I am a very organized hoarder. I may have close to 10,000 buttons. Of course, I will never use them all, but taking the time to decide what to keep and what to share seems daunting. I have fabric stashed all over the house because I can no longer get any more in the studio. I also collect vintage machines. I know what I need to do, I just have to get the resolve to do it.

I also want a good pants pattern, but not until the weight changes. Exercise is not my problem. I walk over 1.5 miles each day - up and down hills and do PT exercises. I like going outside to do it. I have met a lot of my neighbors this way.

I want to develop new styles for me. I have some great TNT patterns (thanks, Lisa), but need to expand my horizons. I have recently gotten interested in sewing faux furs. Can't wait to see where that goes. I made Teddy Bears years ago, but now I want to make clothing from faux fur.

It is interesting to see what others have resolved to do and one of the themes is to take the time to sew for ourselves. I hope you all are able to achieve this goal!
StMike
Posted 2016-01-07 3:11 PM (#90833 - in reply to #90777)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I have already broken one of my resolutions. In the past few days, I acquired two Singer clones from the early 1950's, a Rodney and a Hudson. Both look like the Singer Model 15-90. They are Japanese copies of that basic straight stitch machine, and both run well despite their age and long periods of storage under less than ideal conditions. I just have to clean them up, oil and grease and replace some wires and a few other minor things, and they will be good to go! I got one free and paid $20. for the other. It is my lucky year!

Edited by StMike 2016-01-07 3:13 PM
BeadWinks
Posted 2016-03-29 8:48 PM (#91095 - in reply to #90784)

sewsally
Isn't perspective everything. I found an 8500 for $24 dollars at a thrift store about 3 years ago and I feel like a queen with a brand high end new toy. If you decide to get rid of 8500 stuff let me know I just might be interested.

Alisa

Edited by BeadWinks 2016-03-29 8:50 PM
sewsally
Posted 2016-03-30 1:32 PM (#91096 - in reply to #91095)

Elite Veteran

Alisa - I will keep the Brother but maybe not the embroidery supplies.

You got a great deal on this machine. Have you tried it out yet?

Check out the button holes.... great.

Love the thread cutter too.  

BeadWinks
Posted 2016-04-06 2:56 PM (#91111 - in reply to #90777)

sewsally - I was the worst for typical repairs such as buttons until this machine. Now I am so when I get to sew on a button... or even do a buttonhole. What a fun machine. As far as embroidery part of machine, I have gone so far as to teach myself to digitize. I use StitchEra Universal. I love all of the embroidery stuff. It makes for great affordable gifts. If you end up selling your embroidery supplies let me know.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.