Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Digitizing or Tracing a Commercial Pattern
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Pattern Editor Projects - PublicMessage format

margie2
Posted 2015-08-08 7:11 PM (#90157)
Subject: Digitizing or Tracing a Commercial Pattern

Elite Veteran

Under "Articles" there is a section about how to digitize and trace a commercial pattern. It looks like a lot of fun, but I have not done it. I love playing with PE. My question is, "Why would you need to do that?" If you already have a pattern, why not use it? I am guessing that you can resize the commercial pattern and make changes that you might want? Is there any other reason to digitize and trace a pattern that I am not aware of?

I must confess that I no longer like to open envelopes, cut patterns from large sheets, iron the sheets, and then have to make multiple adjustments to the pieces. But, I do have a few TNT patterns that I could "save" and then modify the style lines.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Catina
Posted 2015-08-08 7:48 PM (#90159 - in reply to #90157)
Subject: Re: Digitizing or Tracing a Commercial Pattern

Great question! For me the motivation is that once I have any paper pattern "igital", I can easily make as many fit or style changes as I like, always retaining the original pattern if I need to go back to it. Often times I do a crude paper tracing of an exiting garment, after digitizing it into PE, I can clean it up, add seam allowances and have a pattern "clone" of that garment. This has become an even more addictive pastime ever since I purchased a wide format plotter.
Catina
Posted 2015-08-08 7:49 PM (#90160 - in reply to #90157)

Is digital a bad word? d i g i t a l
margie2
Posted 2015-08-08 8:26 PM (#90162 - in reply to #90159)

Elite Veteran

Catina, I have watched some of your videos and find them very informative..., thank you for that. I think that is what got me to thinking about doing some digitizing. I have an old coat pattern that is way too small for me and thought about copying it and enlarging it. Many years ago, I upgraded some patterns to larger sizes, by hand. Not something I want to do again. But, doing them on the computer might be a fun way.

When I first learned about digitizing a pattern, I wondered, "Why?" I am now beginning to see there are some real benefits to doing so.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2015-08-08 10:44 PM (#90167 - in reply to #90162)

Administrator

I am with Catina. Tracing patterns is kind of addictive. I trace my vintage patterns that I want to preserve. I also trace hand bag and purse patterns, hoods, collars, pockets, costumes with weird shapes, etc. Once they are resized to full size using the new Calculate and Scale tool in PatternMaster v6, you can use the parts with any of your other patterns and don't have to pull out the tissue ever again.
margie2
Posted 2015-08-08 11:14 PM (#90168 - in reply to #90167)

Elite Veteran

I copied some handbag patterns, but did it the hard way. I measured the patterns and then created the patterns in PE. They were very simple patterns, but turned out to be a great way to learn PE. I had used PE many times before to adjust patterns for myself, but most of the time it didn't involve a lot of manipulation, so I would forget what I had learned. Doing the handbags allowed me to practice and do all kind of different things that I might not have done on a garment, because I didn't have the confidence that I was doing it correctly.

Come to think of it...digitizing handbags would be a great way to start.
Bunny
Posted 2015-08-16 4:49 PM (#90185 - in reply to #90157)
Subject: RE: Digitizing or Tracing a Commercial Pattern

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I don't understand how to trace a commercial pattern to use in Pattern Editor. I have PM 5. Can this only be done in PM 6? I haven't really used Pattern Editor and have not used PM for some time but am thinking about getting back into it. The idea of duplicating a commercial pattern and editing it to fit does sound interesting and a great idea. Maybe it is just my inexperience with the program but I did not realize one could trace a commercial pattern and add to the program for adjustments. Also, what "Articles" are you referring to? How do you do this? Thanks.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2015-08-16 5:02 PM (#90186 - in reply to #90185)

Extreme Veteran

Here's an excellent video of how Catina digitizes a pattern from a photograph using the pattern editor in PMB 5 to get you started. I also suggest watching some of her other PMB/ Cameo videos  too. Inspirational and informative.

Digitizing over a pattern in PE

Shel

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2015-08-16 6:22 PM (#90187 - in reply to #90185)

Administrator

Bunny - 2015-08-16 3:49 PM

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I don't understand how to trace a commercial pattern to use in Pattern Editor. I have PM 5. Can this only be done in PM 6? I haven't really used Pattern Editor and have not used PM for some time but am thinking about getting back into it. The idea of duplicating a commercial pattern and editing it to fit does sound interesting and a great idea. Maybe it is just my inexperience with the program but I did not realize one could trace a commercial pattern and add to the program for adjustments. Also, what "Articles" are you referring to? How do you do this? Thanks.

You can actually trace patterns in the Pattern Editor in any version of PatternMaster. The articles can only be found in PatternMaster v6 though. They are new to the program. The Calculate and Scale tool is also new and found only in PatternMaster v6.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.