Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New skirts: one for me, one for Diana
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Finished Garments - PublicMessage format

Welmoed
Posted 2015-01-03 11:16 AM (#89331)
Subject: New skirts: one for me, one for Diana

Elite Veteran

I finished my first sewing of 2015 yesterday by completing a wool skirt with a silk lining. I love how it came out! I actually finished Diana's first, and learned a few things in the process.

I made two alterations in PE to the drafted pattern: first, I extended the seam allowance for the pocket opening by half an inch, which effectively hides the seam between the outside and the pocket bag. I think it makes a much nicer finish.

The second fix was done because of what I learned from doing Diana's skirt. PMB drafts a flared skirt with a straight hem sweep, so that the center of the hem is actually shorter than the desired length. To counteract this, I took the patterns into PE and did the following:
1. Erase the seam allowance at hem
2. Find the center point of both the waist seamline and the hem
3. Snap a line from the waist through the point on the hem; before clicking, I entered the desired length (which was equal to the length of the side seams). The resulting line is then exactly as long as the two side seams of the piece.
4. Draw an arc by snapping to the two side points, then snapping to the end of the new length line.
4. Add hem allowance as desired (I used 1/2" because I was planning on facing the hem)

The end result was a perfectly even hem, with no trimming necessary (which I had to do on Diana's skirt).

Is there any way to add this to the program so flared hems don't draft straight across?

More pictures on my blog: http://thereshesews.blogspot.com/2015/01/first-sewing-for-2015.html

--Welmoed

(WoolSkirt1.JPG)

(Skirt_Pattern.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WoolSkirt1.JPG (44KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Skirt_Pattern.jpg (11KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2015-01-03 11:47 AM (#89332 - in reply to #89331)
Subject: Re: New skirts: one for me, one for Diana

Tech Support

Quote "PMB drafts a flared skirt with a straight hem sweep, so that the center of the hem is actually shorter than the desired length. "

I checked and this is not correct for a flared skirt. The side seam and center front seam are the same length. Do you mean the amount added for the hem?  I checked and it was the same cf and side seam.

You can send me your original pattern las file and summary so I can take a look.

If you select the scarf hem is has a flared side and a straight hem for the side drape.

Welmoed
Posted 2015-01-03 2:22 PM (#89333 - in reply to #89332)

Elite Veteran

What I mean is that on any given pattern piece, the hem is not curved like it is on the piece that I posted. It's straight. Below is a pattern piece from a skirt with a lot of flare. You can see that the edges of the pattern measure 32", but the centerline of the pattern measures 30.6". This is a big difference!

(SkirtPatternBefore.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SkirtPatternBefore.jpg (31KB - 0 downloads)
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2015-01-03 3:12 PM (#89334 - in reply to #89333)

Tech Support

Still need the summary and pattern las file please.  We can't fix something unless we have all the info.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.