Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pleating quandry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Pattern Editor Projects - PublicMessage format

lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-18 4:23 PM (#89108)
Subject: Pleating quandry

Regular

My niece will be graduating with a Bachelor's in Architecture this spring and I promised to make her graduation dress. I had been eye balling this fabric for over a week at Hancock's on their $4.95/yd flat fold table and finally picked it up.

The entire piece was 4 yards. The piece has been divided into 4 panels, each about 33 inches long, plenty long enough for a young woman's flirty skirt. Each stripe is 5/8" wide, both black and white, so when I finish pleating a panel, it reduces from a 38" workable width to approximately 1/2 of that, or 19".

4 19" panels should give me more than enough to make a skirt but one of my questions to you all is what type of skirt? Gored, basic? I have no problem with creating darts in the pleated area. 

The problem I still keep coming back to is the direction of the pleats. If I were to make a gored skirt, wouldn't it look nicer to have the pleats going towards the center of the gore section? AHH! My head is spinning. I need help.

I have plenty of time for this, her graduation isn't until mid May. I do plan on flying up for her ceremonies.

What do you all think? I need suggestions!

(black.pleats.roz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments black.pleats.roz.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2014-11-19 11:17 AM (#89116 - in reply to #89108)
Subject: RE: Pleating quandry

How about just pleating out the white, down to below the hips, and letting the skirt flare out from there? Just stitch them all together, and make an adjustment at the top of the hip (or create a yoke) to reduce the circumference for the waist. I wouldn't even bother with a pattern, frankly.

Such a fun fabric.

lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-19 3:17 PM (#89119 - in reply to #89108)
Subject: Re: Pleating quandry

Regular

GMTA, Karen, that's kind of what I thought. I even thought it might be fun to turn the stitched down mock yoke into one that seems to contour at the bottom, be it arcs or diagonals.

This fabric pleats so well. It took me 2 1/2 days to pleat 1 of 4 panels. I was going to make it for me with the blouse of the dress as the stripe un-pleated and simple.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2014-11-19 4:32 PM (#89120 - in reply to #89119)

Ooh, you could also pleat a bottom border, for a kind of hobble.

I once pleated out a really lovely, lightweight Pendleton plaid. It turned out really well, and even though I couldn't fit in it again unless I lost 25 pounds, I still have it. The pleats are still nice and crisp, too.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2014-11-19 4:32 PM (#89121 - in reply to #89119)

Ooh, you could also pleat a bottom border, for a kind of hobble.

I once pleated out a really lovely, lightweight Pendleton plaid. It turned out really well, and even though I couldn't fit in it again unless I lost 25 pounds, I still have it. The pleats are still nice and crisp, too.
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-20 2:04 AM (#89122 - in reply to #89108)

Regular

If I made it as an 8 gored skirt and pleated towards the center of each gore, I could finagle the hip ease so that everything comes out even I think. If I were making it for my "on the meet and greet side of 60" self, I would make it mid calf and release the pleats in different lengths across each gore, kind of in an arc. But it is not for me, it is for a 29 year old and she wants something flirty.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.