Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PMB6 on a MAC, with Windows emulator, techie type info
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

Brenda
Posted 2014-10-21 10:36 AM (#88858)
Subject: PMB6 on a MAC, with Windows emulator, techie type info

Extreme Veteran

Good Morning PMB Fans!

Last July when Lisa announced a new version of PMB would be released in October I was delighted. I have been a dedicated fan of this software since January 2000! I have used it personally and for business, although I'm now retired.

My PC was very old and very slow and after my retirement I switched to the Mac world. I knew I wanted (not needed, smile) a new laptop but was hesitating. I did not want another PC but I did want PMB6!! So I began my adventure to learn how to get it onto my Mac.

I learned all about virtual machine emulators...never heard that expression before. I learned that you can run Windows on a Mac via Boot Camp, Parallels or VM Fusionware. I did my research on each of them and quickly eliminated Boot Camp which required turning the whole computer off and on to switch between the two operating systems. Then I decided to ask Lisa if she had a suggestion between the other two. The cost is basically the same...~$60US. On her advice, I got VMFusion Ware. It went on my Mac very easily.

The next step was loading my Windows operating system from my old PC. It was originally purchased pre-loaded with Vista and upgraded to Windows 7. The tricky part was getting the .iso file! Still don't know what that is but it allowed me to enter my legal copy of Windows into the VM on my Mac. There are complete instructions to doing this on the VM Help pages. You can also just Google the process. It is absolutely necessary to have this .iso file because you can NOT use the Windows back up disk that comes with your pre-loaded computers. This was the most complicated phase of getting my Mac Windows friendly.

I then loaded my PMB5 software into VM on my Mac with Karen's resetting of the licenses as they came off the PC. To my absolute delight, the software ran twice as fast, if not more so than it had on my old PC. Even my ancient printer worked!

So, having proven to myself that I could successfully and swiftly use PMB via VMfusionware on my MAC, I made the plunge early in October to buy myself a MacAir. It's my birthday/wedding anniversary gift. Then of course, I bought the software as soon as it was released.

I have not yet designed or printed anything yet. Just exploring and playing with DFP for the moment. I am on a road trip to Minneapolis and am in Chicago today and back home on the 29th. This is my relaxation fun instead of TV. Sadly no time for fabric shopping.

Anyone who has a MAC and wants PMB6 can definitely use it. Yes, you do need the Windows OS and an emulator. For me, the extra cost was worth every penny. I used at least 3-4 other dressmaking software programmes before I discovered PMB. In my opinion, it is the best one available.

I love my Mac and I love PMB. AND I got them to work happily together. Hope this can be of help to others.

HUgs
Brenda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
podservant
Posted 2014-10-21 6:15 PM (#88863 - in reply to #88858)
Subject: RE: PMB6 on a MAC, with Windows emulator, techie type info

Hey Brenda!
So you're retired! Congratulations. Thank you so much for your wonderful info about the windows emulator. I have a MAC on which I would LOVE to run PMB, but I've been too chicken to try! Your info increases my faith! You mentioned some info in the VM help file and online which describes exactly how to do it successfully. Can you provide a good link? Also, is there anything you can add about what you have learned by experience is the best way to locate that iso.file? Did the emulator effect your MAC experience in any way? Are you using the emulator on a laptop or desktop? Thank you for any guidance you can give... I'm gaining courage! Crystal
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-21 8:45 PM (#88865 - in reply to #88863)
Subject: RE: PMB6 on a MAC, with Windows emulator, techie type info

Extreme Veteran

Hi Crystal

I am using VM on both my desk top and my laptop. PMB is running on both of them just as well as any Mac programmes as far as I can tell. Certainly keeps me happy.

Locating the .iso file had to be done on a PC. Naturally I tried to find it using my Mac and then spent time wondering why I couldn't download it...duh! At this point, I don't remember the exact steps but you can Google everything. What you do need are the license and password for your original Windows system whether pre-installed or not. The iso file is on Windows website and you can download it but then it asks for that information to proceed. Once I had that, I copied it to a flash drive to bring it over to my Mac. Opened VM Fusion and installed it there.

As for retirement, I love it despite the fact that it came early due to an accident, ending my sewing career. I only sew for myself now and love every moment of it.

I was "chicken" too about trying to get this on the Mac but then, hey, I just went for it. Very happy I did and quite disgustingly pleased with myself for figuring it all out

Happy sewing!

HUgs
Brenda
Patti
Posted 2014-10-22 9:48 AM (#88870 - in reply to #88858)
Subject: Re: PMB6 on a MAC, with Windows emulator, techie type info

Extreme Veteran

I love VMFusion and use it to run Windows 7 on my Mac laptop. It works perfectly to run PM, Quicken, and my embroidery software. All my data "files" for all programs on what's called a shared drive. For me, it's easier. Love Version 6.
podservant
Posted 2014-10-22 5:09 PM (#88877 - in reply to #88858)

Thanks so much Brenda and Patti. I have enough courage to do my research. One more question for both of you. When you installed the fusion and windows 7, did you also have to install or decide to install any anti virus software for windows? Thank you! Crystal
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-22 6:38 PM (#88879 - in reply to #88877)

Extreme Veteran

Being the perhaps foolishly trusting soul I am, I have not installed anti-virus software on the Windows section.

Perhaps there are experts (Lisa?) who can advise to the wisdom of this on an Apple??

HUgs
Brenda
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-22 8:20 PM (#88885 - in reply to #88879)

Administrator

Brenda - 2014-10-22 5:38 PM

Being the perhaps foolishly trusting soul I am, I have not installed anti-virus software on the Windows section.

Perhaps there are experts (Lisa?) who can advise to the wisdom of this on an Apple??

HUgs
Brenda

If you mean this Lisa, sorry but I have only used my Mac to develop a couple of iPad apps and test my software programs. Not the slightest bit of an expert here. I would have to assume though that virus software would still be necessary since its Windows and Internet Explorer.
Patti
Posted 2014-10-22 8:48 PM (#88886 - in reply to #88858)

Extreme Veteran

I use Norton even though all my internet activity is done from Mac. I just download program updates, etc to the desktop. Files here show up on both Mac and Windows. Norton is there for a bit of just in case protection since I don't really understand the inner workings of all this stuff.
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-22 9:41 PM (#88887 - in reply to #88886)

Extreme Veteran

I will chat with my husband who is the Windows Wiz in our house and follow his advice about virus protection software.

Thanks Lisa, Patti.

HUgs
Brenda
podservant
Posted 2014-10-22 9:52 PM (#88888 - in reply to #88858)

Thanks everyone! Crystal
dianas
Posted 2014-10-24 4:27 PM (#88912 - in reply to #88858)

Regular

We run virus protection software on the Windows side as like Lisa said it's still Windows, IE, etc. Can't remember offhand which system we use though it's varied over the years my hubby handles most of that stuff.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-24 4:42 PM (#88913 - in reply to #88858)

Tech Support

Microsoft has free virus software you can download.
Patti
Posted 2014-10-26 2:37 PM (#88946 - in reply to #88858)

Extreme Veteran

I'm having a problem with V6 and VMFusion (latest version). Hope someone can help.
(1) I can't get the scroll with mouse to work; have to go to scroll bar and move manually. Sometimes the horizontal scroll bar isn't visible.
(2) The Control key doesn't seem to work properly even though it is mapped from Mac to Windows 7 as Control/Control.

Thanks.
Patti
Posted 2014-10-27 9:56 PM (#88956 - in reply to #88946)

Extreme Veteran

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Help

Patti - 2014-10-26 1:37 PM

I'm having a problem with V6 and VMFusion (latest version). Hope someone can help.
(1) I can't get the scroll with mouse to work; have to go to scroll bar and move manually. Sometimes the horizontal scroll bar isn't visible.
(2) The Control key doesn't seem to work properly even though it is mapped from Mac to Windows 7 as Control/Control.

Thanks.
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-28 7:11 AM (#88957 - in reply to #88956)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Patti

I'm still travelling and haven't had a chance to check this out but I will when I get home, not that I will have a solution if it works the same way for me. Not that tech savie!

HUgs
Brenda
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-28 8:16 AM (#88958 - in reply to #88946)

Administrator

Patti - 2014-10-26 1:37 PM

What horizontal scroll bar is not visible?

What specifically is the problem with the control key in v6? Its really not needed for anything in PatternMaster v6 anymore.
Patti
Posted 2014-10-29 7:55 PM (#88977 - in reply to #88858)

Extreme Veteran

It's not v6, it's VM running v6. I use the control key to draw a straight line, and only if I extend the line way past the edge of the pattern do I get a straight line. Otherwise it veers off up or down. If Brenda doesn't know, I'll contact VMFusion support. Thanks.
In v6, I'll have to look at help on how to draw a straight line. Thanks
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-29 8:52 PM (#88980 - in reply to #88977)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry Patti, don't know. But I am going to play with it.

HUgs
Brenda
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-29 8:55 PM (#88981 - in reply to #88977)

Administrator

Patti - 2014-10-29 6:55 PM

It's not v6, it's VM running v6. I use the control key to draw a straight line, and only if I extend the line way past the edge of the pattern do I get a straight line. Otherwise it veers off up or down. If Brenda doesn't know, I'll contact VMFusion support. Thanks.
In v6, I'll have to look at help on how to draw a straight line. Thanks

You do not need to hold down the control key to draw a straight line. PatternMaster v5 and v6 have a "trap angle" which draw a straight line either horizontally or vertically. If you move the mouse as you draw the line, you should see it "snap" to straight when it gets close to being horizontal or vertical.
Patti
Posted 2014-11-05 9:07 PM (#89026 - in reply to #88858)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Lisa. Will use it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.