Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Printing to PDF - what are the advantages?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Printing Tips and Techniques - PublicMessage format

StMike
Posted 2014-09-02 5:14 PM (#88552)
Subject: Printing to PDF - what are the advantages?

Extreme Veteran

Other than file portability, can someone explain to me the advantages of printing the patterns to PDF?  I just did that and the size was larger than the original.  I guess I could get that fixed, but I really don't see any advantage to a PDF unless I were going to take the file elsewhere for printing?  Anyone have some good advice on printing to PDF?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-09-02 6:35 PM (#88554 - in reply to #88552)
Subject: RE: Printing to PDF - what are the advantages?

Administrator

We recommend that you print your patterns to a PDF file first before sending them to your printer. The PDF document will allow you to review the pages exactly as they will print including registration marks and row and column numbering to determine if there are any issues with the patterns to be printed. Reviewing the PDF document prior to printing will help you avoid wasting paper.
StMike
Posted 2014-09-02 8:04 PM (#88555 - in reply to #88552)
Subject: Re: Printing to PDF - what are the advantages?

Extreme Veteran

When I do that, the registration marks are off the page in the grey area and do not print. I am using tabloid size paper, 11" x 17" on an HP7500A inkjet printer. I have followed the instructions in the WIKI to set up cute PDF, but not having good luck with the outcome. And if I shrink the page to fit and thus get the registration marks to print, the pattern piece is also shrunk to fit to about 93% or original. So, if I want the correct pattern size, I get no registration marks and if i want registration marks, I get a mis-sized pattern. Seems like I had this problem in the past with another printer and abandoned the PDF route because my patterns were not to size.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-09-02 8:54 PM (#88556 - in reply to #88555)

Administrator

You don't have to print to PDF if it does not work for you.
StMike
Posted 2014-09-02 9:32 PM (#88558 - in reply to #88552)

Extreme Veteran

I can see where it would be convenient, but I just cannot get it to work. Funny part is, when I measure the patterns in Adobe reader with their measurement tools, the patterns are spot on the right dimensions. When I print them, however, the dimensions change as I mentioned earlier. There is something I am not doing right between the PDF file and the instructions to the printer. I can't figure it out, so I will stick to printing from PM. I can still use the PDF to preview the layout for the final print from PM, but will not print the PDF for use in garment construction. Thanks, Lisa.
Cristina
Posted 2014-09-19 2:50 PM (#88607 - in reply to #88558)

Extreme Veteran

In Printer Preferences there is an option to Extend the image ( or similar )
and I set this scale to zero by dragging the cursor to the beginning of the scale - to zero.
You may check this Feature for both PDF Printer and the Ink printer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.