Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Catina transforms a basic tank to empire top in PE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Pattern Editor Projects - PublicMessage format

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-26 7:05 AM (#88529)
Subject: Catina transforms a basic tank to empire top in PE

Extreme Veteran

On Pattern review forums Catina has been contributing to the thread about recreating a RTW tank with empire seaming with an offset side seam and flowing swing style below. Lots of good reading to see how it developed and now she has a video showing how she'd do this in Boutique's PE. Catina is the same genius who made the video on how to digitize a hand draft pattern from it's photo. This is a good watch for those wanting to see PE pattern manipulation in action.

Catina's pattern manipulation tutorial for flowing tank top

The pattern review thread that started this pattern's development

If you aren't a pattern review member you may not be able to see the thread beyond page 1, but joining is free and it's a nice community.

Shel

Top of the page Bottom of the page
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-10-22 5:18 PM (#88878 - in reply to #88529)
Subject: Re: Catina transforms a basic tank to empire top in PE

Regular

I DID IT! I DID IT!

(Catinas.empire.tank1.jpg)

(Catinas.empire.tank2.jpg)

(Catinas.empire.tank3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Catinas.empire.tank1.jpg (15KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Catinas.empire.tank2.jpg (26KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Catinas.empire.tank3.jpg (34KB - 0 downloads)
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-22 6:41 PM (#88880 - in reply to #88529)

Extreme Veteran

Bravo Lisa! Please show us the finished garment when you do it.

HUgs
Brenda
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-10-22 7:38 PM (#88882 - in reply to #88880)

Regular

Brenda - 2014-10-22 5:41 PM Bravo Lisa! Please show us the finished garment when you do it. HUgs Brenda

I have some spare textured knit I can test this out on. No muslin, used it all for my client. LOL I will probably do that over the next couple of days. Since I got this program on Sunday, my kitchen dishes have been woefully neglected.

cfonfold
Posted 2014-10-22 7:47 PM (#88883 - in reply to #88882)

Expert

THere will always be dishes! Good job. Isn'it fun?
Coopie
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-10-22 7:56 PM (#88884 - in reply to #88883)

Regular

It's a blast, Patricia. 

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-23 8:26 AM (#88890 - in reply to #88529)

Tech Support

Lisa - please make your fit garment before you get going. This is very important.
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-14 9:40 PM (#89073 - in reply to #88529)
Subject: RE: Catina transforms a basic tank to empire top in PE

Regular

Well, I finally bit the bullet, damned the torpedoes and settled on a draft of this and made up the garment. I will admit to agonizing hours of second guessing myself and re-drafting over and over. I was frozen with indecision for about 2 days after I purchased the fabric. Other than length, my muslin test garment went well. I opted for a center back pleat added to the design simply because I have no rump to speak of and having the back hanging straight down a non-existent tush didn't look quite right.

To the lower front/side back I went from your 1" to a 2" simply to give more definition to the drape. I also went for a hi/low hemline, again to cover my rump. The flouncy front covers my baby pooch well.

I basted it together first and tried it on for fit. Everything fit perfectly so, after breathing a sigh of relief, I went to bed last night and stitch it up this afternoon.

The fabric didn't lend itself well to a facing along the neckline so I used a double folded bias tape, folding it in half. Because of the fabric being so non-structured, I feared the scoop would droop if I didn't give it enough structure and a facing edge would show from the outside. This worked better for the fabric.

All in all, other than a 3/8" error in drafting the center front of the lower front which was caught during the basting together and easily corrected with a 3/4" seam instead, everything went together perfectly. All my notches matched up and I have a tendency to over notch. I only have the sleeves to hem and this is fit to wear out. My niece loved it so much she wants one out of grey with some buttons going down the center back.

(cristina.design.top.front.jpg)

(cristina.design.top.back.jpg)

(cristina.design.top.side.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cristina.design.top.front.jpg (78KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments cristina.design.top.back.jpg (75KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments cristina.design.top.side.jpg (72KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments zero_ease_hi_low_tee.las (61KB - 1 downloads)
Grandma C
Posted 2014-11-15 2:22 PM (#89080 - in reply to #88529)

Elite Veteran

I really think you did a top notch job and it is so very well done. I want 1> Maybe I can sew next month. I'm a good bit rounder than you but with a wide flat tush and am sort of buxom. Would this work for me or would my outward waist line (picture apple) make this a poor style for me? ( I have gained a lot of weight in the last 10 months).
Belinda
Never did get a satisfactory fit garment but am willing to give it 1 shot again but with my new measurements. Fit garments are so ugly and just take the wind out of my sails. Think I will do it in pink and put on make up and fix my hair extra carefully before taking pictures. A good foundation garment might make me feel better about it. HMM just mulling it over. probably wont get the chance. Ronnie's speech therapy and music therapy and diabetes care and getting accustomed to working with his service dog, take all my time. Its ok, he is worth it and I could be alone with no husband to share my caregivers heart with. Just want to sew soon.
Belinda
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-15 4:36 PM (#89083 - in reply to #88529)

Regular

Belinda,

Thank you for the compliment. I told my sister, niece and son that I would be insufferable over the next few days because I am so thrilled with the outcome. In fact, I am actually starting to annoy myself with my own arrogance. LOL

Seriously though, I doubt any woman, or man, on these boards or in the world for that matter that doesn't have self image issues. I am thin as a rail and I hate it. No butt, poochy tummy, falling skin. You name it, I hate it about myself. I have body shapers but they are just too uncomfortable for me.

Now, with that being said, I tell my clients that if they are going to wear a shaper, they need to wear it each time the garments are fit and continue wearing it while wearing these garments. Afterall, I make them to fit the person with the shaper on, they won't fit right with it off. Wearing a shaper is your choice.

As far as this style is concerned, the lower front hits you just below the bustline which allows more room in the abdomen area. The back can be additionally altered to divide it into a peplum and add more drape there.

Frankly, I am not an expert on which designs will work with which body style. I would hope that someone with more knowledge would be able to answer that question better.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-11-15 7:20 PM (#89090 - in reply to #89083)

I tried this draft and liked the front, but didn't like the back draft with my high hip bulges. The curved back seam highlighted this area on my body. Lisa, I liked the way you lengthened the back and left the front shorter.
TessainGabriola
Posted 2014-11-16 8:59 PM (#89092 - in reply to #89090)

Elite Veteran

Wow, Lisa! what a great job! The PE work and the sewing -a lovely combination of talents.
Tessa
lhaase0217
Posted 2014-11-17 5:36 PM (#89095 - in reply to #89090)

Regular

JoAnndjob - 2014-11-15 6:20 PM I tried this draft and liked the front, but didn't like the back draft with my high hip bulges. The curved back seam highlighted this area on my body. Lisa, I liked the way you lengthened the back and left the front shorter.

I, too, questioned the side-seam movement for my body. I did make a test garment with no pleat at the center back but did not like the way it laid flat against an already flat surface. There simply is no dart shaping through the pattern as it is a basic Tee-Shirt.

This entire style could be made for a woven fabric and incorporate fitting darts into the overall scheme of the front. You don't HAVE to draw that side seam to the back if you dont want to. You COULD enlarge the lower back to help lay over larger hips. 

Catina (I hope I finally got the name right, my mind is confused these days and I beg forgiveness) did this as a response to a thread on a forum to illustrate how easy it is to recreate in PE or any CAD based program. It is simply moving lines and arcs.

I know when I first looked at PE, I was intimidated. I understood Photoshop very well but CAD programs just confused me. Once I watched how Catina did it in the video associated with this thread, I understood the basic how to do things. I do not claim expertise at all, I am still in "hack" mode, so to speak.

I do get about my little projects though and like to share. I hope someone else gets brave enough to at least try something, anything, to see how great PE really can be.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.