Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ultimate couch potato and computer with wildginger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer-Ease -> About computersMessage format

Tall Karen
Posted 2014-07-23 6:59 PM (#88347)
Subject: ultimate couch potato and computer with wildginger

Extreme Veteran

I'm considering how to accomplish becoming a couch potato and still play with Wild Ginger. Will PMB run on Windows 8.1---a surface pro 3? I looked at a surface pro 3 today and was quite impressed. It's advertised as being a tablet that can work like a computer and I notice WG says windows 8 desktop, but doesn't address compatibility with 8.1.

Also, Lisa, how far out is a possible Mac version of PMB...that might help me decide if I should wait and get a Mac system or upgrade to a windows 8.1 or higher system.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-07-23 7:14 PM (#88348 - in reply to #88347)
Subject: RE: ultimate couch potato and computer with wildginger

Administrator

Tall Karen - 2014-07-23 5:59 PM

I'm considering how to accomplish becoming a couch potato and still play with Wild Ginger. Will PMB run on Windows 8.1---a surface pro 3? I looked at a surface pro 3 today and was quite impressed. It's advertised as being a tablet that can work like a computer and I notice WG says windows 8 desktop, but doesn't address compatibility with 8.1.

Also, Lisa, how far out is a possible Mac version of PMB...that might help me decide if I should wait and get a Mac system or upgrade to a windows 8.1 or higher system.

Thanks.

PatternMaster v5 is compatible with Windows 8.1 but not with Windows RT. If the Surface Pro 3 is running the full Windows 81. then PMB will work with it.

I have no time frame for Mac native versions of PatternMaster. They have to be completely rewritten from scratch to run on the Mac OS which is at a minimum hundreds of hours of work. I am still trying to determine if its worth the investment in time and money since the market is extremely small.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-07-23 9:33 PM (#88349 - in reply to #88347)
Subject: Re: ultimate couch potato and computer with wildginger

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Lisa. Since it runs win 8.1, it sounds like it will work! No pressure on the Mac version....windows will work just fine.....just planning my spending. I envision using PMB a whole lot more when I don't have to sit at a desk using my old vista system.
Grandma C
Posted 2014-07-25 1:32 AM (#88355 - in reply to #88347)

Elite Veteran

Tall Karen, I have a Windows RT Surface that is about 18 months old. It is not the Pro so I cant run a lot of programs that I need, but it is a sturdy little computer. I was helping dear husband into the car and put the surface on the roof of the car. As I drove off, the surface slid off the roof onto the pavement. I was devastated, but when I turned it on, it worked and still works great after several months. Its Really sturdy. If the Pro 3 lives up to the advertisements, its a great little computer. My brother has the pro but not the pro 3. I'll ask him how he likes it ,and its capabilities, tomorrow sometime. He'll know how the pro 3 measures up to the ads as he is a troubleshooter for Microsoft.
Belinda
MonikaS
Posted 2014-07-25 8:33 AM (#88356 - in reply to #88347)

Hi,
in my opinion it should be possible to run pmb on a mac with a virtualizing software like oracle's "virtualbox" (this is a free software), or "Parallels Desktop", or"VMware Fusion", or"Boot Camp". But I am not sure, because I didn't test it, but I know people use Windows software like that on Apple and Linux.
I use virtualbox for vers old programs, this works great:-)
Wish all a nice weekend ,
Monika
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-07-25 10:19 AM (#88357 - in reply to #88355)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Belinda.
I went and looked at the Surface 3 and was quite impressed. It seemed lighter than my ipad and would be able to run windows 8.1 which means I could sit on the sofa and play with PMB.......I love my ipad for reading but it lacks computing ability! Needs more research! Glad to hear they are durable, but apparently they are solid state and can't be repaired if anything malfunctions. I don't really know "computers".....just play with them.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-07-25 10:24 AM (#88358 - in reply to #88357)

Administrator

I don't know what your budget is but I just bought an Acer Aspire Switch. Its a laptop/tablet hybrid. The touch screen detaches from the keyboard so you can use it as both a laptop and a tablet. You can turn the screen around and dock it onto the keyboard for different viewing angles or just use it as a tablet. It runs Windows 8.1 so will run all of our software. Its very impressive.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-07-25 11:09 AM (#88359 - in reply to #88358)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Lisa...just looked it up..very impressive....that's what I had in mind...couch potato worthy and still PMB workable!
Patti
Posted 2014-07-25 9:31 PM (#88361 - in reply to #88356)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, it's possible to run Windows on Mac. I use VMFUSION with a MacBook Pro laptop. It works perfectly. I love being able to carry it around the house and work on PM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.