Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky Help Us Help You
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

cfonfold
Posted 2014-06-04 11:09 PM (#88039 - in reply to #88033)
Subject: Re: Help Us Help You

Expert

Sally have your friend check the hem width. If it is the correct width for the sleeve the sleeve will straighten it's self out. A moderate width for the average jacket sleeve is about 10". Give or take a bit. The two piece sleeve used to drive me nuts!
Coopie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Denidoo
Posted 2014-06-04 11:57 PM (#88040 - in reply to #88034)

New User

Hi Karen

Have been following all comments with great interest. I am not sure of your comment "Is it possible she select right side which flips the pattern". Do you mean that the back of the sleeve has been has been sewn into the front bodice?

Thanks
Denise (Sydney Australia)
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-05 8:26 AM (#88042 - in reply to #88040)

Tech Support

Might be. I did this once when I flipped a sleeve on the print screen and automatically assumed the left side was the back. Mine was a cap sleeve so didn't 't make much difference.

If in charts right is selected for the chart, the pattern flips.  Right sides are designed to be cut print side up on the wrong side of fabric.

StMike
Posted 2014-06-08 7:57 PM (#88071 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

I would fund it very helpful if one could draw a line of known dimensions in full screen view in settings as in PE. For example if I want to add a line exactly 2" long in PE, I start the line then enter 2 on the keyboard and then hit enter; the 2" line is drawn automatically. Not so in full screen view in settings. Could that be added? It would make measuring proportions in your draft patterns much faster and easier.

Edited by StMike 2014-06-08 8:00 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-08 8:56 PM (#88072 - in reply to #88071)

Administrator

StMike - 2014-06-08 6:57 PM

I would fund it very helpful if one could draw a line of known dimensions in full screen view in settings as in PE. For example if I want to add a line exactly 2" long in PE, I start the line then enter 2 on the keyboard and then hit enter; the 2" line is drawn automatically. Not so in full screen view in settings. Could that be added? It would make measuring proportions in your draft patterns much faster and easier.

Yes, this is something that can be added. Will put it on the list.
StMike
Posted 2014-06-08 10:12 PM (#88073 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Great! Thanks, Lisa!
JustJane
Posted 2014-08-05 4:49 PM (#88409 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: RE: Help Us Help You

I intended to write on this thread some time ago but never quite got round to it.
I really appreciate the patternmaster software and the possibilities it has given me to create my own patterns. I have been making my own clothes by hand since I was at school but have no formal dressmaking training or artistic skills. This software has encouraged me to look at clothes in shops and to try and work out how they could be constructed in patternmaster. Like many people I imagine I am always keen to get on with a new project and don't always take the time to read all the instructions. Patternmaster is a large and complex program with the main program, pattern editor, forum, wiki, videos and help files and since I do not use it daily I cannot always remember which area to look for help on a particular issue even though I may have seen it somewhere before. Here are a few things I have found frustrating or suggestions that I think would help users (hopefully not too late for consideration for V6 which I am looking forward to). I apologize for the length of this post.
1. In the style editor would it be possible to add help to each of the selection boxes eg Style, Front neck, Back neck etc - by a small ? button in the selection title box that appeared when you clicked on it or rolled over it - it could display the relevant info from the pdf file for that setting such as what the selection does and when it should be used.
2. Would it be possible to describe all the collar and sleeve styles in the relevant wikis for collars and sleeves. There are some in the style lists eg Italian collar that always appear greyed out so I have no idea what they are or when they could be used. If they only work with a specific style it would also be helpful to have that noted in the wiki. The tab collar style is another one that I only ever find by accident.
3. Under the help menu would it be possible to have a full A-Z help index which for example if you were looking for help on collars you would find collars listed under C and under that would be links to relevant parts of settings guide, program guide, wiki etc.
4. I often find it frustrating when I select a style and that certain options appear greyed out for no apparent reason - for example in yoked the dress shirt style does not allow a fitted sideseam or princess styling and I do not see another way of creating an over the shoulder yoke which would allow me to use these features.
5. I initially had some problems with getting a suitable amount of ease. For example I assumed that adding integrated pockets in trousers would add sufficient ease to the trousers themselves so the pocket could be used but this was not the case. It also took me a while to work out that to add ease to a sleeve I needed to reduce the cap height since elbow circumference is always greyed out. I then wasn’t sure if I should also increase the armhole depth.
6. Another area where I also experienced some issues was with leg and arm length. I assumed that if I entered my correct arm and leg lengths the default lengths for ¾ sleeves or shorts would be altered proportionally but this did not seem to be the case and my ¾ sleeves were almost full length.
7. There are some additional features I would find useful. These include a 2 piece sleeve where the seams matched with the panel styleline darts on a blouse, the option to add pintucks to a pattern, the option to use the jewelled vee neckline with more styles, the option to do a tab front opening with a collar band.
8. I myself have not really got to grips with the pattern editor part of the software as I found it difficult to manipulate on a small laptop screen without a mouse. I use it mostly for grouping pattern pieces when I am trying to combine 2 styles and delete some of the pieces I don’t need.
Thank you for taking the time to try and find out how we think the software could be approved.
Jane
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-06 7:18 AM (#88414 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

6 - Remember sleeve lengths in settings are underarm length. This allows different style, puff for example that has an extended cap to maintain length.

The defaults are there for your use. You need to set the length you want for each different length option.

There has to be a default number that comes with the program, but there are just there for you to change to your personal choices.

8 - PE is much easier with a mouse. For a laptop check out a trackball mouse. I have been testing the new touch screen for V6, but still love the Marble Mouse. It can just rest on my lap if sitting in a chair.

(Trackball mouse.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Trackball mouse.jpg (6KB - 0 downloads)
GeeJay
Posted 2014-08-08 5:52 PM (#88430 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: RE: Help Us Help You

When I see the planned upgrade V6 on the horizon I greet it with mixed emotions. I hit the panic button worrying that I will not be able to make the transition. I don't need more complications in my life! I have been using Pattern Master for many years but still live with the same problems with printing. A few months ago you asked for our comments and I was not able to respond but today I will.

I always have difficulty with getting the 3 things I want to print after drafting the pattern . I always want the pattern to print, of course....then I want the Summary and the Sewing Guide to print. I will get some of it but not always all three before "trouble" sets in. It seems that they have to be printed in some type of sequence and I am always "out of sequence" and then I try to return to where I was and can't do it.

Some days, like today, I have battled for a couple of hours, going back to read the instructions (which sound so simple) but I don't seem to be able to make them work. I drafted a pattern. When I tried to print it......no luck....why? I don't have the faintest idea. Then I went back and tried to print the "sewing guide".....nope....wouldn't print so now I don't have the pattern pieces. to work with. (I do, however, have a lovely summary) What comes up most recently when I tried again to print the pattern pieces is the Las pattern and that is not what I need. This has been a constant scenario for all the years I have owned the program. I love the patterns....when I can get them....and have made garments on which I receive many compliments. There is some glitch between the instructions and my brain. I would enjoy it so much if I could make it work, simply, every time. If anyone else has the same problem it might be one to look into when planning the next version. Maybe I am "One of a Kind"...Whoopee!!!

Thanks for listening.

GloriaJean Grevenstuk
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-08 6:12 PM (#88431 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

Would you like to set a time to do a meeting and I can watch you print on your system?

Write me at support@wildginger.com and we can set a time.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 2:10 PM (#88497 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Since we have to use % when we use Scale tool
we need a Scale Calculator to calculate these % directly in WG programs.
Most of us don't know how to calculate these Scale %, or we consider to difficult to start calculating Scale % and we avoid using this great tool.
Can we have a Scale Calculator for % included in PE?
And more, can this Scale Calculator be made to be closed only when the user decided -
( for ex. Tape Measure Calculator is Closed by the user and does not dissapear from the screen when selecting another tool )
Can these Scale % Calculator be added in v6?

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-22 2:12 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 4:49 PM (#88499 - in reply to #88497)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-22 1:10 PM

Since we have to use % when we use Scale tool we need a Scale Calculator to calculate these % directly in WG programs.
Most of us don't know how to calculate these Scale %, or we consider to difficult to start calculating Scale % and we avoid using this great tool.
Can we have a Scale Calculator for % included in PE?
And more, can this Scale Calculator be made to be closed only when the user decided -
( for ex. Tape Measure Calculator is Closed by the user and does not dissapear from the screen when selecting another tool )
Can these Scale % Calculator be added in v6?

I don't understand this one. What percentages are you trying to calculate? What is the problem you have calculating percentages? There is already a calculator in the program that can calculate percentages. Its under the Utilities menu and it does not close until you close it.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 5:10 PM (#88500 - in reply to #88499)

Extreme Veteran

Not quite the same as Cristina's use, but say I bring in a .jpg to trace in PE. Trace it all out and a control square which is meant to represent 3in. Now in PE that little square measures 28.815 in on a side, so now I need to figure out what percentage to reduce that square to 3 in. and consequentially, the rest of my pattern trace to it's correct size.

I'm math challenged so I've actually bookmarked a scale converter online that lets me input the numbers to figure out how much reduction is needed

Percentage Calculator

Yes, there's an equation, but I don't remember it 90% of the time so I just use the plug and play way.  * droops head in shame* < : )

Shel

Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 5:11 PM (#88501 - in reply to #88499)

Extreme Veteran

Lisa, ask other people if they find easy to calculate the % to be entered in Scale tool.

so either we need a Scale % calculator

or we need a new similar Scale tool in which we enter the length to increase
because a tailor knows precisely how much more he needs to increase a certain area of the pattern
which is much more easier then having to calculate % to enter in Scale tool.

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-22 5:26 PM
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 5:35 PM (#88502 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Shel,
in version 3 we could easily use a Percentage Calculator because PM3 was different
for example if we need to double an arc (on yy) we just entered 200% in Scale tool.
But in later versions the obvious % had its formula modified and it is not obvious any more.
If I remember - to double an arc now you enter 300% ( but what you do when you want to increase it 1.5 times, how do you calculate outside WG program? )

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 7:29 PM (#88503 - in reply to #88500)

Administrator

EasilyAmewsed - 2014-08-22 4:10 PM

Not quite the same as Cristina's use, but say I bring in a .jpg to trace in PE. Trace it all out and a control square which is meant to represent 3in. Now in PE that little square measures 28.815 in on a side, so now I need to figure out what percentage to reduce that square to 3 in. and consequentially, the rest of my pattern trace to it's correct size.

I'm math challenged so I've actually bookmarked a scale converter online that lets me input the numbers to figure out how much reduction is needed

Percentage Calculator

Yes, there's an equation, but I don't remember it 90% of the time so I just use the plug and play way.  * droops head in shame* < : )

Shel

Hi,

I have already created a tool for this in PE. Its called Calculate and Scale. You enter the length of one side of the original square and the length of the square after its been traced and the program will calculate the amount to scale for you.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 7:42 PM (#88504 - in reply to #88503)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa

I've never seen this, which menu is scale and calculate under? Haven't updated to July yet, if that matters at all.
Shel

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 8:11 PM (#88505 - in reply to #88504)

Administrator

EasilyAmewsed - 2014-08-22 6:42 PM

Hi Lisa

I've never seen this, which menu is scale and calculate under? Haven't updated to July yet, if that matters at all.
Shel

Sorry, I was not clear. Its been added to v6 not v5.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 8:15 PM (#88506 - in reply to #88505)

Extreme Veteran

BOOYA! One less window to have open then, Lisa.  : )

Shel

JustJane
Posted 2014-08-23 3:42 AM (#88508 - in reply to #87824)

Can you fix in PM6 the option for yoked blouse so that you can select to have just a back yoke with shoulder princess seams back and front - the shoulder princess seams work if you have both front & back yoke selected and it is possible to select the option when you have just back yoke selected - it even shows it in the style drawing but the pattern pieces do not correspond. I would also like to be able to select a jewelled vee neckline for this style

(yokedblouse.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yokedblouse.JPG (31KB - 0 downloads)
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-23 8:23 AM (#88509 - in reply to #88508)

Administrator

JustJane - 2014-08-23 2:42 AM

Can you fix in PM6 the option for yoked blouse so that you can select to have just a back yoke with shoulder princess seams back and front - the shoulder princess seams work if you have both front & back yoke selected and it is possible to select the option when you have just back yoke selected - it even shows it in the style drawing but the pattern pieces do not correspond. I would also like to be able to select a jewelled vee neckline for this style

Yes, this has already been done. I have added several new yoked options.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-08-23 11:19 AM (#88514 - in reply to #88509)

Extreme Veteran

Yay!! Can't wait for v6 and a new windows 8/9 computer!!!
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-23 1:52 PM (#88516 - in reply to #88509)

Extreme Veteran

One thing I'd like to see is if the straight across the shoulder back yoke is chosen, is to have the option to rotate that shoulder dart into it's seam and have that reflected in the shirt body. It would help back fit and it's one of things I think would be nice for men's shirts as well. I think Pam Erny explains it best:

Back Yoke and the fit of mens shirts- Pam Erny

Don't know if the current Tailor Made does this, maybe someone can verify that? I know it's not in PMB 5.
Shel

Cristina
Posted 2014-08-23 2:26 PM (#88517 - in reply to #88503)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

thanks for v6 Calculate and Scale. It looks like lots of us we'll go for shopping soon.
I'm not sure I understood well about the second box we should enter data:
"the length of the square after its been traced"
Did you mean that first we scale by hand
and after that we calculate % of how much we'd already scaled by hand?
Or
in the second box we enter How much more we need to increase with
so the total original+increase (displayed or not in a 3rd box )
will be used by the program to perform the scale automatically
so it's not the user trying to scale by hand repetedly until it gets a certain %.

So which one of these two should we enter in the second box?

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-23 2:27 PM
JustJane
Posted 2014-08-23 4:45 PM (#88518 - in reply to #88509)

Great thanks - looking forward to getting my hand on PMB6
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.