Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky Help Us Help You
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster - PublicMessage format

Cristina
Posted 2014-08-25 12:56 PM (#88524 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: Re: Help Us Help You

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

I have 2 questions about Calculate and Scale:
- When we enter data for the first length
do we have both options to Select and Type the value of the square side?
- When we enter data for second lenth
could we enter the difference we want to add or substract
( in Shel case [ 28" - 3" ]
so the tool will serve
to trace a jpg detail
and also to draft a WG pattern and to add a certain amount to the original square side?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-25 5:21 PM (#88525 - in reply to #88524)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-25 11:56 AM

Hi Lisa,

I have 2 questions about Calculate and Scale:
- When we enter data for the first length
do we have both options to Select and Type the value of the square side?
- When we enter data for second lenth
could we enter the difference we want to add or substract
( in Shel case [ 28" - 3" ]
so the tool will serve
to trace a jpg detail
and also to draft a WG pattern and to add a certain amount to the original square side?

I am not sure I understand your question but Calculate and Scale works as follows. You enter the length to scale from and the length to scale to and the program calculates the changes and scales the selected objects. You can enter whatever values you want for the from and to.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-25 10:20 PM (#88526 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you so much for this v6 tool.
Being very curious I wanted to know
Do we type the digits using the keyboard
or do we select the line and its length would appear automatically inside Scale From and Scale To?
Or both?
Once again thanks, Lisa.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-25 11:06 PM (#88527 - in reply to #88526)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-25 9:20 PM

Thank you so much for this v6 tool.
Being very curious I wanted to know
Do we type the digits using the keyboard
or do we select the line and its length would appear automatically inside Scale From and Scale To?
Or both?
Once again thanks, Lisa.

You will need to measure the from and to lengths prior to invoking the tool since the objects to scale will have to be selected when you start the tool. Then you will type in the two lengths and press apply to complete the tool.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-26 1:35 PM (#88535 - in reply to #88527)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

Can I ask a question:
If I use an example

Calculate and Scale:
Length From: 7.375"
Length To: ( 7.375" + 0.675" )

- here I have to bring the Calculator on the screen to add these 2 numbers
Instead to bring the 2nd calculator on the screen could we have

Calculate and Scale:
Length From: 7.375"
Increase : 0.675"

- since the program may calculate the addition [ "Length To" = "Length From" + "Increase" ] in the background
so we don't have to bring on the screen the simple Calculator then type the result into Calculate and Scale

Lisa, could you design the second box for Increase/Decrease? Please

(I re-sent this msg after correcting a typing mistake which would've brought confusion for the Length used)
Edited by Cristina 2014-08-26 12:40 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-28 4:46 PM (#88541 - in reply to #88535)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-26 12:35 PM

Hi Lisa,

Lisa, could you design the second box for Increase/Decrease? Please

Hi Cristina,

At this point, I am going to keep the tool as it is currently designed. It is simple to use and easy to understand and works as intended.
Cristina
Posted 2014-09-09 6:53 PM (#88579 - in reply to #88541)

Extreme Veteran

At least the text boxes should allow both operations:
typing numbers and selecting lines ( so the number appears automatically)
instead typing 4 numbers for just one scale operation.
We had these kind of text boxes in previous version 3 and 4 - in other tools
( I'm not sure about version 5 )
Jassnip
Posted 2014-10-19 2:01 PM (#88823 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: RE: Help Us Help You

Hi Lisa,

I know I'm late in answering the question, but hopefully it will be helpful anyway. I have PMB5 and PMK.

My honest answer is both yes and no. I found that the program doesn't behave in ways I consider intuitive -- just like that problem I ran into the other day that you helped me with. There was nothing to suggest to me why I couldn't get to the default measurements from the charts. A tooltip when you mouse over the option would be helpful. I also don't find it intuitive how to move between the different sections of the program and in general they feel like separate programs(PMX, PE, yardage calculator) rather than a cohesive suite which I can move around in seamlessly. PMB6 may be better about this with it's new interface. I'm not sure if that's something you changed or not.

Another thing I find frustrating is that there is no ability to lock a design choice while switching through the styles. Say I'm looking to build a dress and I want a ruffle sleeve and a midriff waist, but I don't know what kind of base style I want. Every time I switch styles I have to go back and reset those choices. I realize that not all options work with all styles and that it would take quite a bit of programming to make this work.

Hmmm, what else would be more intuitive to me? Designing independent of a measurement chart. Seems to me one should be able to play with the design and save it and then assign a measurement chart to it in order to print out the pattern or take it into PE. That way the same style could be used for more than one person. Say you're making a series of bridesmaid dresses, as far as know you'd have to recreate the design for each person based on their measurement chart. If that is NOT the case, then I don't know how to do it (which is totally possible) but again we're talking ease of use and whether something is intuitive or not.

This last one is a perception thing--it's great that you and Karen offer such great support in helping a person get their fit garments right--but it doesn't make the program "feel" as useful if I have to have an expert help me make it work right. Does that make sense? The fitting guide goes a long way toward addressing this, but in program terms it would be better for the program to walk a user through the fitting process. When Karen sends back adjustments to make on the default settings, as I user I don't learn anything about pattern design or about fitting a body, which at least for me is one of the reasons I have the program. It would be better for the program to ask me to look critically at what doesn't fit right and then walk me through changing the setting myself. Yes, this would be a lot of programming, but the sense of pride and accomplishment of the user would highly increase their impression of the program.

Hope this helps you.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 2:47 PM (#88824 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

You may open a Saved Style in your style catalog in any measurement chart.

This wiki article may help with fit issues.

http://www.wildginger.com/wiki/articles/pictureyourfit.htm

familysewn
Posted 2014-10-19 3:34 PM (#88825 - in reply to #88824)

Veteran

Karen, after reviewing the wiki article, I think it would be helpful to give examples of what to check if a line is not level say a setting , measurement, ease amt. and also some cause and effects that might occur that we should look for if we try one of the suggestions. I am always confused about what to change if the hip line is not level ( especially in pants) what to look for if the whole hip line is not level or if either the front or back alone is not level. I can tell that a line is not level but I am not sure what to change or where to start. Barb
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 4:03 PM (#88826 - in reply to #88825)

Tech Support

The article talks about the measurements involved.

It can only be level front and back at the same time.  Level is all around the hip.  

Check pants fitting on the wiki. 

cfonfold
Posted 2014-10-19 4:33 PM (#88827 - in reply to #88823)

Expert

hi Jassnip,

re: Designing independent of a measurement card.

I have set up a chart---don't laugh now-- titled Play With. To be honest it uses my measurements with a normal height and weight.  If I'm  exploring design options etc. I use it. When saved it can be applied to any set of measurements. It's a great help when dealing with a group.  If I already have all the measurements I choose the card that will be the easiest to design for. The very first time I used this function I had only seen 1 of the girls and to be honest I had little faith in the process. This has to have been at least 10 years ago. I was astonished at the fits.

Coopie

Jassnip
Posted 2014-10-19 5:05 PM (#88829 - in reply to #87824)

Karen, Coopie:

Thank you both for responding. I really wasn't expecting one. I would like to reiterate that my observations aren't about whether or not the program will do something; I'm sure in most cases that it will. I was speaking strictly to Lisa's question on usability, ease of use and intuitiveness of the program(s). PMB is a fairly comprehensive program, it does a lot. As a user, I was just pointing out areas where I expect the program to do something and that something is not readily apparent.

Jass
thistles
Posted 2014-10-19 5:55 PM (#88831 - in reply to #88829)

Extreme Veteran

Re: Intuitiveness.  Not sure if this should start a new thread.  I'm enjoying V6 very much, but one thing I keep butting up against is that in the home screen the icons for charts, style catalog and Wild Styles are greyed out.  If I want to go there I have to uncollapse the menus on the left, which is more cumbersome.  It would be easier for me if the icons were active or if there was a setting to make the left hand menus stay expanded.  It would also be helpful to have an active upper icon for Design Styles and Pattern Editor.

Thanks! 

Edited by thistles 2014-10-19 6:04 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 10:49 PM (#88832 - in reply to #88831)

Administrator

thistles - 2014-10-19 4:55 PM

Re: Intuitiveness.  Not sure if this should start a new thread.  I'm enjoying V6 very much, but one thing I keep butting up against is that in the home screen the icons for charts, style catalog and Wild Styles are greyed out.  If I want to go there I have to uncollapse the menus on the left, which is more cumbersome.  It would be easier for me if the icons were active or if there was a setting to make the left hand menus stay expanded.  It would also be helpful to have an active upper icon for Design Styles and Pattern Editor.

Thanks! 

This can all be done. Will add it to the first update.
thistles
Posted 2014-10-20 12:34 AM (#88833 - in reply to #88832)

Extreme Veteran

Wow!  Thanks a lot!
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-20 8:50 AM (#88835 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Love how quickly Lisa gets things done! I have so much I want to say about V6 running on my Mac. I'm SO HAPPY!!! However, I'm travelling right now and will write more when I can. WG is GREAT! Lisa is a GENIUS and Paul's not bad either<grin> and Karen is so fantastic. Get the idea? I am so thankful to them for this wonderful product that I have been using for 14 years now. Anyhow, got to hit the road. But I have much more to say!

HUgs, Brenda
Cristina
Posted 2014-10-20 10:49 AM (#88836 - in reply to #88823)

Extreme Veteran

re to Jassnip:
"When Karen sends back adjustments to make on the default settings, as I user I don't learn anything ...
it would be better for the program to ... walk me through changing the setting myself. "

Once you draw your own slopers, and sew the testing garments to check the fit
you should Merge these files with any new style you create
so you don't need advice for each and every time you open PM.

Cristina
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2014-10-21 10:07 AM (#88856 - in reply to #88835)

Extreme Veteran

Are you saying that V.6 runs on a Mac as well as on a PC? Does it work with the Mac operating system, or do you still need to go through a Windows emulator like Bootcamp or Parallels?
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-21 10:11 AM (#88857 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Marilyn,

You do have to go through a Windows emulator. I'm using VMFusion Ware, recommended by Lisa<smile>. It's been quite an journey but one I'm delighted I made. I am going to write about it now as a new thread.

HUgs
Brenda
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.