Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

windows 8
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-04-11 1:50 PM (#87610)
Subject: windows 8

Beware of automatic updates with windows 8. My computer was totally messed up after yesterdays updates. It took DH 3 hours today and $200 with upper level tech support to get things working. Everything seems to be back now except connection to my backup drive and a weeks worth of Quicken files. In the process of transferring all backup files to another remote drive. Also changing my Quicken password and all my banking passwords. Hope no one else has had problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ReneeG1957
Posted 2014-04-11 7:20 PM (#87611 - in reply to #87610)
Subject: Re: windows 8

Regular

This is why I am waiting until closer to the time Windows 7 will no longer be supported.

That and my embroidery machine's software is not going to get a Windows 8 patch to let it function at all with the newer OS. Once Windows 7 ages out of being supported - I'll have to replace both the computer and the embroidery machine.

Or possibly set up my current laptop without internet access to keep running the embroidery software until the machine breaks down or wears out....
JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-04-11 10:14 PM (#87612 - in reply to #87611)

I was running XP on my old computer. I wanted Windows 7, but waited too long and it was no longer available. I have several pieces of software that don't run on Windows 8, but still have my XP computer set up if they are needed.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2014-04-12 9:33 AM (#87615 - in reply to #87610)

Regular

I bought a Windows 7 Upgrade - applied it over XP, then reinstalled everything on the computer (or possibly used a back up image - it's been a couple of years). Windows Vista is supposed to install over XP and leave your programs intact - but I found that I preferred 7 to Vista - even if it was more time to set up & reinstall.

If you've already bought Windows 8, you're probably better off staying with it, once you get everything working.

DH had to replace his laptop with a new Windows 8 laptop six weeks before Christmas - its hard drive was dying (tried using that hard drive in an external as a backup earlier this week - it has "bricked" and is not even registering as being plugged into the USB port).

Which leaves me no choice...I have to go find my installation disks and reinstall my Wild Ginger & Curves software from scratch. And hope that my saved measurement set bears some resemblance to my current self.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-04-12 11:38 AM (#87618 - in reply to #87615)

I'm using a 3 month old Windows 8 computer. It was working fine until automatic updates were done on Thursday night. When I turned it on Friday morning, my desktop was gone and no software or data files would open. Not sure what the tech support did remotely over a 3 hour period, but all seems to be working now. I still don't like windows 8, but this new, faster computer was definitely necessary. Just wish I had bought a new computer sooner with Windows 7.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.