Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Top & vest
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Finished Garments - PublicMessage format

NancyM
Posted 2014-03-04 3:17 PM (#87421)
Subject: Top & vest

Extreme Veteran

Just posted an odd top/vest combo to my album:

http://www.wildginger.com/forums/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=206&...

DD wanted the hood on the top, not on the fleece vest.

Have sewn 2 fleece garments in the last week and a half, and am not fond of the stuff. What is the best, least bulky but also least distorting, way to finish sleeveless armholes in heavy fleece?

Nancy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
julie w
Posted 2014-03-04 4:13 PM (#87423 - in reply to #87421)
Subject: Re: Top & vest

Extreme Veteran

Lovely combo!
Looks like your armholes turned out well, for a different finish what about a knit binding? I don't sew with much fleece so don't speak from experience but have seen some prepackaged binding for fleece in limited colours in our equivalent of Joanne's.
NancyM
Posted 2014-03-04 5:14 PM (#87424 - in reply to #87423)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! I didn't know there was such a thing. Will look for it the next time I'm at JoAnn's (my only nearby choice for this sort of thing).

Nancy
cfonfold
Posted 2014-03-04 5:15 PM (#87425 - in reply to #87423)

Expert

The first robe I made I bound the edges with a print cotton. It still looks good and has held up well. The second, which is more tailored I faced with a print baby flannel. I took more time with this one and again it still looks good and has worn well. Both are washed regularly. I've been wondering if ribbing would work. Depending of course on being able to find it in yardage! It used to be a staple in fabric shops that carried knits. Wonder where it has all gone to?

I really like this combo, love the shirt. And the colors are high fashion right now!

Coopie

pldesigns
Posted 2014-03-05 5:46 PM (#87427 - in reply to #87425)

Veteran

Great outfit!  It looks very hip and expensive...I've found that using a knit cut on the cross grain works well to bind armholes. ( or the edge of sleeves. collars, anything..)    You can use nylon lycra , like in bathing suits, or cotton lycra, even ponte if there's lycra with good recovery in it.  JoAnn's has some cotton ribbing but it's limited.  Around armholes I cut it a little shorter ( 3/4" or so ) Seam it and stretch it on the bias areas of the armhole.  Or you can just cut it too long and slightly tug on it all the way around to avoid a gapping armhole. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.