Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DVDs vs on line
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

TessainGabriola
Posted 2014-01-05 3:36 PM (#87030)
Subject: DVDs vs on line

Elite Veteran

Hi,

I have decided to go for the videos of sewing ideas and techniques.    eg - www.Craftsy.com    Am I right in finding that one can order a hard copy DVD of almost the same program as watch it on line,  for the same cost - $40.00?    Do you have preferences of one medium over the other?  Am I missing something?  Maybe they do not have the same content?

Tessa

Edited by TessainGabriola 2014-01-05 3:37 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fabricarts
Posted 2014-01-06 10:23 AM (#87038 - in reply to #87030)
Subject: RE: DVDs vs on line

Veteran

Hi Tessa,I've never seen the DVD option as a part of Craftsy. I have high regard for the production quality and class content at Craftsy. In other words, I've always felt the classes were worth my time and that I learned a significant amount from the class and liked the teacher. I'd suggest taking one or more of the free classes as a way to try out the format. I was happily surprised with how much I learned in the free knitting classes.

Craftsy does frequently have sales on their classes so getting on their mailing list would alert you to reduced prices.

I hope you find classes you enjoy. Check their money back guarantee so that you know what time frame you have to evaluate any of the classes.

Miriam

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-01-07 2:52 AM (#87050 - in reply to #87030)

Extreme Veteran

I've never seen a DVD option of a Craftsy class either. Did they hide it like the gift certificate feature?
Along with the promise that we'll always have access to the class, the ability to actually ask the instructors ( especially if the class is a newer one) and get feedback is what made me decide to take these. Not to mention the costs! I could never afford to take classes from King, Pray, Khalje, Betzina.. etc. so this is the next best thing to me.
Even if I don't ask, the odds are there's so many different students at different levels, someone has asked about the same thing.
I also like classes that include a pattern... like the Islander Express Jacket. When bought during a class sale of $19.99 the jacket was pretty much a freebie.
I just noticed they've added a couple of drafting classes too, - making a moulage and then a sloper from that and there's a lot of hours of instruction time 11 lessons and over 4 hrs. for the bodice class.

Shel

Tall Karen
Posted 2014-01-07 11:07 AM (#87056 - in reply to #87030)
Subject: Re: DVDs vs on line

Extreme Veteran

I watch streaming Craftsy in the evening instead of broadcast TV or expensive cable....much more to my liking! Oh and with an apple TV and ipad or Mac, you can transmit it to your big screen TV for added enjoyment!

Edited by Tall Karen 2014-01-07 11:08 AM
TessainGabriola
Posted 2014-01-07 2:57 PM (#87065 - in reply to #87030)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for your thoughts, Everyone. Tall Karen, that's exactly what I did last night! A Good use of time. I am watching Linda Lee's sewing with knits. It's very good. I do like the questions. They bring up good points. I wrote down her points that I need to keep and I also marked points at the video stream. It really is good.

I was thinking of the DVDs for sale at each author's site. So I did buy an Islander Sewing System "Galaxy of Sewing Techniques" dvd and it's good too.
I guess I will find out over time which format I use more.

Tessa
familysewn
Posted 2014-01-07 2:59 PM (#87066 - in reply to #87030)

Veteran

I have purchased many Crafty classes. I enjoy them alot. My problem is when I go to my parents house farther north, I can not view them. It is like they are in a blackhole up there. Our phones ( Iphones) have no reception; likewise WiFi. Is there a way to record these to a dvd while watching and then playing them from my dvd player I have on my laptop?
Barb
monique montreal
Posted 2014-01-07 4:09 PM (#87069 - in reply to #87050)

Veteran

Shel you wrote that you got "The islander express jacket" I went to their site and didn t found this class... Did you bought it recently? I found Kenneth D King "The carefree fly-front coat" is it similar to Islander? I also liked their classes they are clearly explained and make me remember things that I known and forgot, as not applied.
Thanks for your info.

P.S. Hope you are not freezing.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-01-07 4:54 PM (#87071 - in reply to #87069)

Extreme Veteran

The Islander Express Jacket comes with the Industrial Sewing Class.
monique montreal
Posted 2014-01-07 6:39 PM (#87075 - in reply to #87071)

Veteran

Karen,
thanks for your answer, the pattern must give a good look, specially with PMB pattern.
Have a good week.
magenta
Posted 2014-01-20 4:00 AM (#87156 - in reply to #87030)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with what everyone else has said about Craftsy. I have picked up good tips from all the classes I have taken. I make a wish-list and buy the ones I want on sale. If a pattern comes with the class I copy it using WG then I don't have to do the alterations. I particularly like the free zipper class and the sassy librarian blouse. Actually, too hard to choose favourites.

Edited by magenta 2014-01-20 4:01 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.