Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the tomatoes that you keep your needles in
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-12-17 7:17 PM (#86845)
Subject: the tomatoes that you keep your needles in

Elite Veteran

I opened my tomato and I found that it was filled with sawdust. Is that a good thing? Does sawdust sharpen your needles? I filled my new ball with sheep's wool roving. Is that an improvement?

Thanks,

Tessa

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pldesigns
Posted 2013-12-18 6:45 AM (#86850 - in reply to #86845)
Subject: RE: the tomatoes that you keep your needles in

Veteran

I don't think sawdust alone sharpens needles.  Usualy in the little "strawberry" attached it's a mixture of sand and sawdust, which does sharpen needles.
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2013-12-18 11:20 AM (#86852 - in reply to #86845)
Subject: RE: the tomatoes that you keep your needles in

That's what they've always been stuffed with, as have sewing hams, sleeve rolls, and other firmly stuffed sewing aids.

The little strawberry has sand, or emery in it, and that's what sharpens the needles. The sawdust keeps away rust. Wool roving would probably do the same thing.

How many needles did you find when you opened it up? I know mine is full of them!

One of the best ideas I ever saw for the tomato pincushions was to write needle info on each section and then keep the needles organized that way.

Edited by Karen Maslowski 2013-12-18 11:22 AM
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-12-18 6:52 PM (#86853 - in reply to #86845)
Subject: Re: the tomatoes that you keep your needles in

Elite Veteran

Hummph! I didn't think sawdust was useful. Yes, I know it's a stuffing for hams etc, and now I know it's for needles. Yes, I have a Fons and Porter large strawberry and it is full of emery dust. that is good.

I chose the wool roving as stuffing because I heard that sheep's lanolin was good for needles. But the raw sheep wool I got was too full of pine needles, dirt and moss to be nice. But I think my roving is cleaned and washed.
Oh well.

Honestly, I didn't find any needles in it! It is vaguely new.

Yes, I read that suggestion also. I use it for sewing needles and it's great. However, I am not careful with my hand needles and I just grab whatever sticks out.

Thanks Karen and Sue,

Tessa
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2013-12-19 9:16 AM (#86854 - in reply to #86853)
Subject: Re: the tomatoes that you keep your needles in

Confession: I set one up for sewing machine needles, but I hardly ever remember to use it.

My pincushion is probably full of needles that would show up on an x-ray. :-) Someday I need to squish them all out and start over, because I also mindlessly stick them in, and just use whichever one has a hole big enough to thread, or that has the right color of thread already.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.