Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sewing spaces and stuff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-11-15 10:41 AM (#86670)
Subject: Sewing spaces and stuff

Tech Support

This is from a users group meeting, but I think it would be a great forum topic.  Names have been changed to protect the guilty or innocent. 

During today’s meeting we discuss how our sewing spaces can become a barrier to sewing.  Some people have so much fabric that they can’t move and/or think easily.  Other people don’t keep their space tidy.    So here’s the challenge for next month:  Keep a list of what you have done to make your sewing space more congenial.

Here were some suggestions – and please feel to chime in with some more.  We weren’t very systematic during our discussion.

For the too much stuff:

1.  If you can’t think easily  of something you might do with a piece of fabric, discard or donate it.  (M and I winced at that; it seemed too harsh.  L laughed, saying that she can think of three projects for any and everything.)

2.  Accept the fact that although you spent money on something,  there is a cost (even if it is a mental-health cost) involved in storing it year and year.  Don’t throw good money after bad.

3.  We all sew too well to be working with poor quality fabric.   Allocate one drawer or bin for fabric to be used in test garments. Don’t worry about running out of test-garment fabric,.  If you do, tell the group.  Someone else will almost certainly have something she would be eager to get rid of. 

3.  Sometimes the feeling of “too much” results from being disorganized.  J spent an hour or two sorting her buttons by color into little ziplock bags.  Now she clearly feels good about her buttons. 

For the untidiness:

1. Go into your sewing room and don’t let yourself sew.  Turn on music, a podcast, a T.V. show and tidy up.

2.  P tidies her sewing space every night.   Well, yeah, sighed everyone who knows her.  She’s P, and we’re not. 

3.  Divide your tidying into tasks that can be completed.  When I clean my sewing space,  I first throw out papers, then I put all the sewing tools away, then the thread.  All these tasks are easy and can be done.  Then I tackle the pins and scraps on the floor.  Next would be to storing the UFOs and sorting through magazines and hand-outs, but I rarely get to the point. 

Good luck!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kathy Seidel
Posted 2013-11-17 6:04 PM (#86681 - in reply to #86670)
Subject: Re: Sewing spaces and stuff

Extreme Veteran

Reporting back from the Maryland-DC-virginia users group ychallenge. One person recruited her daughter for a multi-day clean-out of her sewing room. A neighbor also came and helped her sort out a lot of fabric to give away. Someone else scanned the covers of her sewing books and organized the images in computer files. When she has a question, she can look at the covers and select which books she needs to get out of her not very convenient book shelf. She hopes later to scan the table of contents. Other people put away all the thread, scissors, rulers, and other tools that were littering their cutting table and ironing board. Several other people sorted their fabric. A few people finished some projects that had been weighing on their spirits.

We were pleased that two long-absent members came to the meeting, one of whom we hadn't seen in four years.
barbara
Posted 2013-11-18 6:27 PM (#86687 - in reply to #86681)

It is wonderful that she had all that help and from her dd. very lucky! My dd would run away screaming.
Welmoed
Posted 2013-11-19 9:07 AM (#86697 - in reply to #86687)

Elite Veteran

barbara - 2013-11-18 6:27 PM

It is wonderful that she had all that help and from her dd. very lucky! My dd would run away screaming.

It helped that I offered her twenty bucks.
NancyM
Posted 2013-11-21 2:09 PM (#86710 - in reply to #86670)
Subject: RE: Sewing spaces and stuff

Extreme Veteran

I am trying to use up largish remnants by making reusable drawstring bags to cover Christmas presents, so as to gradually abandon wasteful use of wrapping paper. Sweater-size boxes take a lot of fabric, so I may end up doing a little piecing. Am also using remnants of trim, cording, double-fold bias tape, etc. for the drawstrings. I can see that this will be a multiyear project, as right now I need to finish MAKING the presents before I wrap them!

Nancy
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-11-21 8:08 PM (#86711 - in reply to #86670)

Elite Veteran

Hey - wait for me!!! I still have 20 more days until Dec 15th!!! I intend to. I like the phrase - "to finish projects that have been weighing on their spirits." I have *many* of those.

Tessa
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-12-03 9:54 PM (#86770 - in reply to #86711)

Elite Veteran

OK! I did face some of it. See my empty cutting table - it's soo big! I did a good job on 2 buckets and I rolled up and labeled them for the 2nd hand store. My Black Hole, on the other hand... is still calling me. It's a corner near and under my table which has so many projects in it, I don't even know what's there.

Tessa

(rolled up and ready to go out.jpg)

(See empty cutting table!.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rolled up and ready to go out.jpg (19KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments See empty cutting table!.jpg (18KB - 1 downloads)
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2013-12-05 11:02 AM (#86779 - in reply to #86770)

You can do it, Tessa! Last summer I had to redo my sewing room for the same reason--too many projects that I had no memory of.

The challenge, once you clean it up, is getting it to stay that way.
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-12-05 9:37 PM (#86780 - in reply to #86670)

Elite Veteran

Karen - Yes, I understand. Even if I cleaned up my Black Hole, the space would still be calling to me, "Just put it here .... I have room..." What also happened was that I realized that I have changed my preferences. I have thrown out much of my cottons. I don't make blouses any more , or cotton summer dresses. I like stretch shirts and poly pants. I did keep a ton of nice formal pant fabric. But now I like the "hiking" kind of pants - a bit baggy, lots of pockets, topstitching, thinnish , kind of a silky feel -no nap. Tessa

PS - you can just guess what has happened!  The 9 panels of pretty drapery that I bought from the 2nd hand store a long time ago and Wednesday  I gave back -- guess what would be good to make Meals on Wheels mug holiday fabric wrapping from???  So now I have to go back on Saturday and re buy them - again!!!

Edited by TessainGabriola 2013-12-05 9:42 PM
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2013-12-05 11:03 PM (#86781 - in reply to #86780)

Isn't that always the way?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.