Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally, a sewing space!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

dotmoll
Posted 2013-08-11 12:43 PM (#86158)
Subject: Finally, a sewing space!

Elite Veteran

2.5 years after our big quake, and nearly 3 years after I broke my shoulder, I'm finally getting the house back into order, with a lot of help from my sons. Finally I have a sewing space! As of today, fabric is mostly in boxes on wire shelves IN THE SAME ROOM as my machine, which is set up on a reasonably generously sized table. Ironing or cutting space are still a bit of a puzzle. Setting that up is about the nearest I am likely to get to sewing this summer, but son#2 is very keen to get down to sewing himself a coat in cotton drill. I tried to persuade him to do a few pillowcases, since it's a while since he sewed (both boys have made themselves PJ pants) but not having a lot of luck. He definitely wants to make himself some more old-fashioned shirts, as he can see that I'm not likely to make much progress with clothing requests.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ReneeG1957
Posted 2013-08-11 1:06 PM (#86159 - in reply to #86158)
Subject: Re: Finally, a sewing space!

Regular

I *know* that feeling! My sewing room got away from me over the last three years - finally got things back together enough to want to get started with clean up and organization.

Premature grandbaby born, I was out there a lot to help, DH diagnosed with diabetes, my medical condition slipped a little further (meds needed adjusting and it wasn't an overnight fix), A/C broke, and on & on.

But - it's time to get back into gear so I can use the room. I have the three main machines (sewing, embroidery, & serger) and their tables cleared off & ready to use. The cutting table, the treadle (not in use much), and the "spare" table need to be sorted out and the stuff sitting on them put away.

I'm thinking that it may take longer to do properly, it will stay organized LONGER. Organizing is not as much fun as sewing.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2013-08-11 1:52 PM (#86160 - in reply to #86159)

Glad to see you getting back to sewing.

I have an opportunity to clean and organize my sewing room too. Today I have to move furniture, etc so that a wall can be treated for termites tomorrow. I've put it off too long. Sometimes I envy those with smaller spaces. I find the more room I have, the more junk I save. I fill all available space and more.
NancyM
Posted 2013-08-11 6:05 PM (#86161 - in reply to #86160)

Extreme Veteran

I may be the last person out there to have heard of these, but have just discovered archival quality, acid-free comic book backing boards. Have wound many of my quilting cottons onto them & secured with large vinyl coated paper clips. (Small pieces, of course, not practical for over about 1.5 yds. max.) I hope they're OK for fabric storage. The boards are not the coated kind but are supposedly acid-free throughout, 3% calcium carbonate buffered, whatever that means. Anybody on this forum expert in textile conservation? I was using the plastic lace winding cards that trim comes on in fabric stores, some salvaged, some bought from manufacturer, but had nowhere near enough. And the comic boards are cheaper.

Nancy

NancyM
Posted 2013-08-11 7:04 PM (#86163 - in reply to #86161)

Extreme Veteran

Meant to attach a couple of pictures, but ran out of time. My other favorite recent "sewing space" acquisition is these rolling wire-sided boxes. I found 2 on craigslist for $10 each. They started life as store fixtures, with a melamine top intended for display; with the top & sides inserted upside down into the wheeled frame, they hold rolls or bolts. This way I can roll the whole unit in and out of the closet to find what I'm looking for, without having the rolls fall all over the place.

Enjoy organizing!

Nancy

(red cottons cropped.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments red cottons cropped.JPG (27KB - 0 downloads)
NancyM
Posted 2013-08-11 7:14 PM (#86164 - in reply to #86163)

Extreme Veteran

Here's the wire basket on wheels, I hope.

Nancy

(wovens basket cropped.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wovens basket cropped.JPG (28KB - 1 downloads)
margie2
Posted 2013-08-11 8:38 PM (#86165 - in reply to #86164)

Elite Veteran

This is such a timely topic! I have spent the last couple days organizing and cleaning my sewing room. I joke that my sewing room is so crowded that I have to rearrange everything when I buy a spool of thread. It is beginning to not be a joke.

I bought a new serger. I used an old school sewing desk for my old serger. My new one would not fit into the well. Since that desk was taking up prime real estate I had to move furniture so that the new serger would be where I want it. That meant that a lot of other furniture had to be moved. Fortunately, DH does not complain when I ask for his help.

NancyM, I love your wire basket. My fabric is stored in three different places. Most of it is in the sewing room closet on a very strong shelf unit. But, it is hard to find what I want and I end up carrying fabric out to the cutting table to be able to see it all. The other two places are antique cupboards. Since I do a little bit of everything, my fabric is organized for clothing, quilting, handbags and home dec.
dotmoll
Posted 2013-08-12 11:34 AM (#86166 - in reply to #86165)

Elite Veteran

Interesting to read what everybody is up to! Would love to be able to store my fabric in rolls or bolts, just not an option. Passing on some of the seersucker pieces that were intended to make baby PJs for my hulking great sons might help though!
ReneeG1957
Posted 2013-08-12 2:29 PM (#86169 - in reply to #86166)

Regular

I started drawing floor plans (and wall plans, too - when we had a house with a LOT of windows in the sewing room - ones that I had to be aware of if I put a sewing machine in front of because the window went down to 6" from the floor) - the phone, electrical, and wall ducts were marked, too - same for "oor swing" space.

Then I would cut out the sewing furniture and play with it to see how it worked in various combinations - no back problems from moving pieces of paper around and once I figured out where things went, DH could help without feeling like he was moving everything three or four times, because I had already "tried out" the various locations on the graph paper.

When I bought "ream Sewing Spaces" - I saw the same technique mentioned. It works even better as you get older - DH is about to turn 60 and really does not want to spend a lot of time moving furniture around!
JoAnndjob
Posted 2013-08-12 6:06 PM (#86170 - in reply to #86169)

You can also draw your room and furniture in PE. That's what I have done in the past.
Patti
Posted 2013-08-17 10:15 PM (#86218 - in reply to #86158)

Extreme Veteran

I've used PE several times with success. I first make the room according to inch measurements, usually a sort of rectangle. with outlets, TV jacks, closet openings, windows and doorways marked/measured. I then combine all these lines, symbols to lock in. Then I creat rectangles of sewing furniture, chairs, et. Each item gets combined/locked. After this initial setup, you can move each item around until you find a layout you like. I've done this in the last6 places we've lived.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.